damaged piston/cylinder? husqvarna 254xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think it might help with a new cord? and a good cleaning/repair of the puller?
The cord is old and worn, and on the short side (has been broken once)

think it might help with a new cord? and a good cleaning/repair of the puller?
The cord is old and worn, and on the short side (has been broken once)
And check the springs on the pawls on the flywheel. They can become old and worn and the pawls don't engage on the recoil..

checked, they do engange, but they are fairly weak, can compare to another saw tommorow!

the flywheel pawl springs don't need to be hard, but the pawls do need to move smoothly....and not be damaged. same as the starter pawl engager....whatever thats called.

It's called the 'the pain maker' (when you are tensioning up the recoil spring to put new rope in and it spins loose and causes finger turmoil...)

update, ordering pawls and springs, they seem loose and has minor damage (compared to other 254xp I have my hands on atm)

Also, can someone comment on this picture of the starter pulley.

It's hard to see, but the metal in the middle has some minor wear to it, like metal fracture, not alot but still, can this cause the pull/startup to be bad as well?

WP_20170706_21_08_47_Pro.jpg

update, ordering pawls and springs, they seem loose and has minor damage (compared to other 254xp I have my hands on atm)

Also, can someone comment on this picture of the starter pulley.

It's hard to see, but the metal in the middle has some minor wear to it, like metal fracture, not alot but still, can this cause the pull/startup to be bad as well?

View attachment 589260
By fracture do you mean a crack? Or just metal being worn away? If there is no crack your starter looks OK. If there is a crack I would replace it. In my opinion.

not crack no. I guess it's metal worn away.
Thanks for the replies, saves me some money, I'm pretty sure the pawls and springs needs replacing, will also have a look at the starter pulley/cord, take it apart etc.

Update. Changed to pawls springs, doesn't "skip" now, so thats good! But.....It still won't start AT ALL without me holding the throttle while pulling the cord.
Trying to adjust the carb screws, but won't seem to do much for me.....

advice for this problem?
In short, the saw only wants to start while I hold the throttle in while I pull the cord.

Update. Last one.

Got it going descently now.
But can anyone confirm, the saw has problems running at idle, I cant turn the idle speed up without the chain going with it.
And I cant turn the L screw so that it wont die at idle.
Is this, or can it, be a weak clutch spring?

It also Jumps alot when placed on the ground at idle... I guess thats how an old husky work or?
Sounds like clutch springs if you can't get it to idle without the chain rotating. If you get the chain to stop rotating does it stall and die?

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Here is my 262xp at idle. It is also quite bouncy. It's from the same family as the 254xp. The av on these is not as smooth as more recent saws. The 262xp does however have springs, the 254xp still has rubber mounts.

Here is my 262xp at idle. It is also quite bouncy. It's from the same family as the 254xp. The av on these is not as smooth as more recent saws. The 262xp does however have springs, the 254xp still has rubber mounts.

:bowdown: god that is such a great answer! I love this forum! thanks!

How about that clutch spring question....bugs me a little that I can almost hear it die out while idling, it's...CLOSE sometimes to dieing while idling...very very close. Will a new spring help me out here? The cost is negligiblee at this point :laugh:

Sounds like clutch springs if you can't get it to idle without the chain rotating. If you get the chain to stop rotating does it stall and die?

More or less, I can find a sweet spot, but....it's VERY close to dieing, sounds like it's juuuuust about to die out.

More or less, I can find a sweet spot, but....it's VERY close to dieing, sounds like it's juuuuust about to die out.
Try some springs. It's surprising how much of a difference a set of springs make..

Latest posts

Back