Darn it! I must do this nine times out of ten!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
How about the rest of you? Anyone develop a trick, method, technique (or just have an IQ above eleven) not to do this all the time?

attachment.php

That method is for cleaning the chip build up out of your bar resevoir. The other method is to fill up the saw and forget to screw the caps on tight and then wonder why your pants leg is all full of bar oil and gas mix.:hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

OK here is "THE" answer. Get an empty clear syrup bottle and put yer oil in it to fill up your saw. I use that method for the small around the house cutting, but out on location, I take my handy Tide laundry 128oz jug with the dispensor valve thingy on it, man I am telling you, that is the answer, I fill it with a gallon of oil and am good for all day and then some and I rarely ever spill a drop!! Note to self, oil looks a lot like syrup..... wanna have some fun??:cheers:

Not that it has ever happened to me, but if it ever did, I would rock the saw back and forth gently. That makes an air bubble come out, allowing you guys to put the cap on with little oil loss.

The inside of the oil tank must be shaped like an upside-down funnel. No matter how much I think I'm going to get it right *THIS* time that last little bit comes up super quick and BLORP over the top.

What finally got my percentage from 9/10 down to 8/10 was to remember that it's designed to run out of gas long before the bar oil. So I target the fill 1" below the hole.

I always overflow the bar oil and gas. I was taught to do it by an old wood cutter years ago. When you put the cap on the excess oil/gas washes sawdust out of the tank top and cap area. I usually fill the bar oil first so the extra runs down the saw to the bar and gives the chain a little extra lube.

it is paramount that you fill the oil first, then over fill the gas to wash off any extra oil:greenchainsaw:

I buy B&C oil by the gallon, but I transfer it into a quart container to take into the woods. Much better control with the small quart container.

Plus, what snowchief said: "remember that it's designed to run out of gas long before the bar oil. So I target the fill 1" below the hole."

Quart sized gear-lube bottles have a handy-dandy pour spout that will allow you to suck some back into the bottle if slightly overfull.

If they arent available I only open a small hole on the side of the seal under the cap. I'll then squeeze out what I need till I get close and can control the flow.

The other method is to fill up the saw and forget to screw the caps on tight and then wonder why your pants leg is all full of bar oil and gas mix.:hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

I did that very thing today on a "new to me" Husqvarna 351. I am not sure if I left the oil cap off or didn't screw it on tight enough.

I was standing there wondering why the muffler was smoking so much, and then I started wondered why my left boot was darker than my right boot, and than I started wondered why I had a dark stripe down the front of my left leg, and than I put it all together about the same time I felt the oil on my skin. I probably lost $1 worth of oil down my leg, on my shoe and all over the grass.

I wish I could say that it was the first time it has happened or that it will be the last time it will happen, but to thine own self be true.

Meh...

Just tilt a little out and put the cap in. It keeps the tailgate from rusting.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Been there, done that.....
On my Stihls, seems they have a about a 1/4" long piece of plastic that runs
down from the top of the opening that the cap string is held on with. I just
watch to only fill up to that point. Sometimes I miss, usually get it just right
and that allows enough air space for the older screw-in caps. Newer screw- on cap seems like a better design. I was using my brother's Husq and actually
loved the saw, just didn't like the design of either oil or gas filler, seemed like
lots of dirt can fall right in. Like Dad always taught us, got to use a flux brush on the caps first....Seems he always did have a solution...
Best.

At home I put oil from the gallon jug into squeezie bottles that are used for 90wt gear oil. then take that out cutting. Its got the pointed tip and you can see the oil going in better.:cheers:

Back