Davit in action!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HD-tech-NH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finally split up those 48" rounds! This was my Chrismas present. Took me a month to get it installed and put together.

n1461731298_6147.jpg

Man you need a set of tongs..
Personally I would rather quarter that piece up with the saw..
Nice setup I suppose

What do you do when you got a bigger round than what is pictured after the first split?winch each half back up again?
Not knocking your setup,just wondering?

What do you do when you got a bigger round than what is pictured after the first split?winch each half back up again?
Not knocking your setup,just wondering?

Sure, but I hope I don't get any rounds bigger than these. Only one half falls the other you keep on the splitter. It will also work for me when I am out gathering wood to get those big pieces in the truck. Why would tongs be better?

I would like to have one of those cranes, They would come in handy for a lot of things. But noodling those big chunks down would a lot easier than rigging up all that. That big chunk could be quartered in no time with a good saw. But if the crane saves the back, then it's doing a good job.

I have a large set of tongs that I bought from Northern Tool that I found out I don't need after all. If you want them, I will sell them to you for $55 delivered. They still have the new paint on them.

Sure, but I hope I don't get any rounds bigger than these. Only one half falls the other you keep on the splitter. It will also work for me when I am out gathering wood to get those big pieces in the truck. Why would tongs be better?
Tongs are just faster to use. you don't have to wrap log like with a chain.

Noodling seems far safer to me. Do you really want to lift 500-1000# back up above the ground and then have half of it fall back the ground uncontrolled? Not me. I would noodle that into pieces I can lift and control. One of those halves falls the wrong way and a person is going to be going to the ER, or the valve/engine/ram on that splitter are going to need some repair.

The only time wood is under control and released of its potential energy is when it is on the ground. Anything else is dangerous.

Noodling seems far safer to me. Do you really want to lift 500-1000# back up above the ground and then have half of it fall back the ground uncontrolled? Not me. I would noodle that into pieces I can lift and control. One of those halves falls the wrong way and a person is going to be going to the ER, or the valve/engine/ram on that splitter are going to need some repair.

The only time wood is under control and released of its potential energy is when it is on the ground. Anything else is dangerous.
:agree2: Shoot,.. I noodle them so i can lift them to put in the truck, They never make it to the house that size.

+1 on the lift and split. On a piece that big I'd rather use a chain, had them slip out of tongs before, even when the points are driven in with a sledge.
That baby lands on the steel toes they are going to slice the little piggies off or your going to the ER to have them extracted. We do it with a chain and tractor loader, the truck crane would be handy to have though, loading generators, welder, other heavy farm stuff.

no way those buttons weigh 500 or 1000 pounds you guys are being a little dramatic

40" across = 1256 sq inches. Figuring 18" thick that means 1256*18=22608 cubic inches. One board foot of dry oak is ~3.8 lbs per board foot (144 cubic inches) therefore 22608/144=157 board feet, 157*3.8= 596 pounds. The 3.8 pounds per board foot is for ~7% moisture oak. Wet oak will weigh more.

Using pretty precise formulas 1000 board feet of wet northern red oak = 5471 pounds, so the estimate of 3.8 lbs/bd ft is actually low.

Source: http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Calculating_the_weight_of_lumber.html

hey there, HD-tech-NH.

i have that exact same crane on the back of my truck. bought it a couple years ago from northern for $155. i took the manual winch off, and took a 6" length of 2" X 3" X 3/16" tube, drilled some holes in the top of it, and welded it to the top of the crane. then i bolted an electric winch to the top of the tube. much easier on the back. i use it to get pieces into the truck to take home. i use tongs for pieces up to 24" in length, and yup, those were home made, too. you have a nice set up there, thanks for sharing.

pat.

Latest posts

Back