Day Rate/HourlyRate For Stump Grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just curious to see what people are getting for a day rate and hourly rate for stump grinding? I run a Carlton Tracked 8018 and Carlton SP7015 rubber tire. Thanks

I have never given a day rate with my SP7015. Customers would run me out of the city. I strictly price by the job. I think if you are not getting at least $400 per hour, of machine time, on the SP7015 you are giving your work away. You can knock out a ton of stumps in an hour. It would be nice if every job had ten stumps but that isn't the case. I have never used an 8018. I expect you would use it more for land clearing type work. Most of my work is residential. The reason I only bid by the job is this: I charge $200 for a 36" stump. I know I will have that stump ground in ten minutes or twenty minutes max. My customers are happy to get rid of that stump for $200 but if I told them I charge $600 per hour they would send me packing. My customers always know exactly how much a job will be before I start. Like everybody else, I do my fair share of underbidding jobs. That is nearly always because the stumps are in very hard to reach spots or have obstacles in the way. I never go up on my price once I have an agreement with my customer and I never let them know if I underbid the job. Too bad all stumps can't be out in the open. I guess that didn't really answer your questions about day rates but it was an attempt. The most I have ever made in a day was $3,000 and that was probably close to eight or nine hours of grinding. I bid the job very low because I wanted it. It was January and I have very little work in January. There were around 200 stumps (none larger than 15" or 18") and they were all in very close proximity but on not so smooth ground. The property owner knew he got a good deal at $15 dollars per stump but if I had given him a price of $300 per hour it would have scared him off because he would not know that I could do all that work in nine hours. People are shocked at how fast I finish a job and he was too. Too bad I don't get calls for many jobs like that.

I try to bid my jobs to make 100 per hr, down here a 36 in stump would be 50-60 dollars, most guys doing
stumps for 10 each, it's tough to make a buck in this market right now, every market is different and every
stump is different, so one answer won't fit all, I just look at a job and fig how long it will take and bid
accordingly, so many variables in pricing, experience is the best teacher...

Bob....:barbecue:

My goal when buying my 2450 was 125 per grinding hour to be profitable turns out the machine is way more productive then i expected and i average 250-300 an hour but all my pricing is per stump. i offer other comapnys day rates of 750 per day plus any teeth or tool holders broken do to foreign debris but they never bite and prefer to just do it by the stump.

My goal is $200.00/hr of actual grinding time. I also price mostly by the stump. On big jobs where I am at one location for several hours, I will drop my rate to $150.00/hr, based on the time at the site. I have a minimum of a flat $100.00 to show up and unload the machine. So, a 6" stump, two blocks from my shop, is still going to cost $100.00.

I'm in the about the same market as Old Man Grinder. I rarely bid hourly but when I do it is $100 an hour. For the same reason as Cupocoffee, people do not want to hear an hourly price. I bid to hit that, more if it is a one stump job. I bid a job a couple of weeks ago that would have been 16-18 hours. Big job, spread out on 2 acres, no cleanup. I do put the dirt back in the hole though, more than most here do. I did not know it, but she had 4 people bid it. I was the last. I bid $1600. The low bid was $550. I'm running a fairly low hour 66hp machine. Even if my competition was running a 7015 and could do the job in 1/2 the time, it makes no sense. I would love to be higher, this market will not support it.
( Can a 7015 do twice the work of a RG66??)

1600$ for 16-18 hours with a 66hp machine including operator is a very good price. 550$ with a 7015 sounds stupid except you miscalculated by 10hrs.

Sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot. 550 is crazy low, but I guarantee this lady didn't talk specifics with the guy.

My price includes leaving a clean work area and a nice level hole. I grind down any humps (within reason) the root flare causes and leave the client with a nice level lawn. I will move the chips anywhere on the property for them usually dumped in the woods or behind a shed. Hauling them away is an upcharge and bringing in dirt is another upcharge.

For anything over 36 inches, my 1625 takes awhile and my price reflects that. If the stump is accessible I will be completely honest with the customer in telling them to get a few bids. But I always advise them to be sure the price includes what my price includes.

I was just talking with a client about how the last stump she got done was a large 48" maple. She never discussed what the low price included and when it was done, the guy took his money and left leaving her with 3-4 yards of material. That doesn't work too well when all she owns is a minivan. But thats what happens when they take that low bid.

I always bid on the job tho and keep in mind wear and tear on the machine. I usually get 100-125 an hour.

So you are saying a 16 hour job with a RG66 = a 6 hour job with a 7015?
I have never used a RG66, but I would think it's in the same class as 7015, I know my Sp7015 is 60 HP, I would think the job would take the same amount of time.... $550 is giving away the work for that size job.

I always bid on the job though and keep in mind wear and tear on the machine. I usually get 100-125 an hour.[/QUOTE]

I have never run a 1625. My first machine was a RG50. 49HP. The first grinder I ever hired and watched was a 1625. So, I can't know how fast my machine is compared to yours. I'm guessing, between the 4wd and the blade, the extra teeth and power, I'm twice as fast. For some reason that is not equating to twice the $ down here.

$550 is giving away the work for that size job

Yeah, I never regretted not getting that job. 2 days, fuel, teeth 2 hours driving time back and forth. I don't need the practice. But let's say the 7015 will do it in 1/2 the time, (I have been told this by several people that claim the belt vs hyd drive and the Kubota motor will smoke the RG66), I should still be able to collect the same $? The job should still be a $1500 job. The cost of the machine is 3 X the cost of a used 66 nowadays. It should be a $200 per hour machine, even in my area.

Just curious to see what people are getting for a day rate and hourly rate for stump grinding? I run a Carlton Tracked 8018 and Carlton SP7015 rubber tire. Thanks

Can you compare the 7015 and 8018 against each other for me. How about track vs non-track, which do you prefer.

My bids vary by volume the more volume the cheaper the stump price. I ground for several commercial properties at 12 dollars per stump from 6 inch up to 45 all debris left onsite. My best day was 128 stumps and I will never do that again day light to dark is too long grinding.

In Aus. I try to have a minimum attendance and grind price round $100, this usually included at least 15++ km travel to the job ( & that again to get home of course).
I find that with the 4012, which is a quick and efficient machine for its size, leaving the wheel spinning between close stumps that sometimes it doesn't pay to work to fast or get the job done to quick. (Cordless remote diesel Kubota 33hp., Tailor made trailer with fold down ramps.)
People equate a rough hourly rate they work out in their head with your quote. eg Recently did eleven stumps, average 18 inches dia to 10" below ground level, quoted $280 and knocked them over in about 1 1/2 hrs, hourly onsite rate close to $200/hr.
Client seemed a little miffed that the hourly rate might be high and totally overlooks a number of things - such as -

1/ They accepted the quote.
2/ I never put the quote up mid or post job if it turns out harder/more time consuming that first thought.
3/ I "wear" any steel/rock/brick etc etc damage to the cutters, never charge extra.
4/ The reason the job might be quick is that after 8yrs the machine is being operated efficiently, quickly.
5/ The other reason it is being done quickly is that pre job attendance the machine is thoroughly prepped with sharp cutters etc and is ready to rock n roll.

While close to $200/hr machine time is nice, it isn't always attainable and the bigger the job the lower the hourly rate I charge.

I can imagine quoting the same job with a 7015 and doing it in half the time with the hourly rate doubled, people don't appreciate the size of the machine, the efficiency of the operator etc etc.

Here, since commencing business Public Liability Insurance has gone up maybe 50%, cutters/shoulders, advertising close to that as well as the myriad other business outgoings.

As previously said, sometimes it doesn't look good to work to fast or efficiently.

Peoples thoughts ?

PS - I have never quoted an hour or daily rate, never will either as it has to many variables.

I can imagine quoting the same job with a 7015 and doing it in half the time with the hourly rate doubled, people don't appreciate the size of the machine, the efficiency of the operator etc etc.

I quote over the phone. The only time I've had customers look at me like I just spent time with their daughter behind the wood shed, was single stump jobs where I bid $125 or so on a 30" stump was done in 30 minutes trailer to trailer .
But, as you say sometimes you run long, they never consider travel time or the hours spent on all types of maintenance. All in all, people are pretty good. Many times they will give me more than my bid. The ones who watch the process or know something about working with their hands.
Cleaning up the job with a blower makes the wives want to add me to the Christmas card list. That $150 blower has paid me back 10 fold. I have a back rig new up in the box, waiting for this one to stumble. When you blow the drive off, and the street, everybody knowing you really did not mess it up, that can sometimes wash away any other nit picks they might have had on their minds.
As far as the double rate goes on the 7015, it's a impressive machine! By the time they see it in action with the remote, how fast it is, they may understand that comes at a price.
Good talking to you mate! If I ever get down your way, I'll buy you beer just to hear you talk!

In Aus. I try to have a minimum attendance and grind price round $100, this usually included at least 15++ km travel to the job ( & that again to get home of course).
I find that with the 4012, which is a quick and efficient machine for its size, leaving the wheel spinning between close stumps that sometimes it doesn't pay to work to fast or get the job done to quick. (Cordless remote diesel Kubota 33hp., Tailor made trailer with fold down ramps.)
People equate a rough hourly rate they work out in their head with your quote. eg Recently did eleven stumps, average 18 inches dia to 10" below ground level, quoted $280 and knocked them over in about 1 1/2 hrs, hourly onsite rate close to $200/hr.
Client seemed a little miffed that the hourly rate might be high and totally overlooks a number of things - such as -

1/ They accepted the quote.
2/ I never put the quote up mid or post job if it turns out harder/more time consuming that first thought.
3/ I "wear" any steel/rock/brick etc etc damage to the cutters, never charge extra.
4/ The reason the job might be quick is that after 8yrs the machine is being operated efficiently, quickly.
5/ The other reason it is being done quickly is that pre job attendance the machine is thoroughly prepped with sharp cutters etc and is ready to rock n roll.

While close to $200/hr machine time is nice, it isn't always attainable and the bigger the job the lower the hourly rate I charge.

Here, since commencing business Public Liability Insurance has gone up maybe 50%, cutters/shoulders, advertising close to that as well as the myriad other business outgoings.

As previously said, sometimes it doesn't look good to work to fast or efficiently.

Peoples thoughts ?

PS - I have never quoted an hour or daily rate, never will either as it has to many variables.
I tell them up front I ain't going to be there long lol 11 stumps close together I will be done and bullchittin in 30 mins but then i got 60 horse turbo and shaft drive! Anyway I explain up front that if i was hourly it would be same price as they are paying me my time for maintenance. Most of the time they are just amazed how fast it eats and come over to see its 8 inches deep or more and are happy :p

I quote over the phone. The only time I've had customers look at me like I just spent time with their daughter behind the wood shed, was single stump jobs where I bid $125 or so on a 30" stump was done in 30 minutes trailer to trailer .
But, as you say sometimes you run long, they never consider travel time or the hours spent on all types of maintenance. All in all, people are pretty good. Many times they will give me more than my bid. The ones who watch the process or know something about working with their hands.
Cleaning up the job with a blower makes the wives want to add me to the Christmas card list. That $150 blower has paid me back 10 fold. I have a back rig new up in the box, waiting for this one to stumble. When you blow the drive off, and the street, everybody knowing you really did not mess it up, that can sometimes wash away any other nit picks they might have had on their minds.
As far as the double rate goes on the 7015, it's a impressive machine! By the time they see it in action with the remote, how fast it is, they may understand that comes at a price.
Good talking to you mate! If I ever get down your way, I'll buy you beer just to hear you talk!
my low is 125 one stump 15 mins and gone baby:rolleyes:

I have never had a customer complain about rates even the ones that squeak when they walk because they are so uptight with money. 95% of the time they ask what the machine cost and I always reply more then your car and she's high maintenance. Be honest and upfront with people goes a long way.

Back