Dead Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the firewood market by you with a glut of dead ash trees?
I don't really know Steve.
There are always people selling $150 cords, but that's not my game. I'm not pushing anything and not hurting for cash which means I can wait until someone comes along who will pay me what my time is worth. You know it takes a lot of time, materials, and it's dangerous processing wood. I'm not doing cheap cords regardless of what the others choose to do. I'll just process another hundred cords and be ready for retirement lol.

Nice pice there CF.
Is that at your work. A few of those will load up that dump trailer nice and quick.
I know a guy not to far from you who has a skidding winch on his little kubota ;).View attachment 525598

It is.

I'd like to have a winch on the back but it's not financially justifiable. If I lived on wooded land......

sent from a field

Thanks for the offer!
Sure thing. It was bought mainly to keep my tractor on the trail so it wouldn't get all tore up. I don't use it to often, but when you do it sure is nice. Ineed to buy a new clutch for it so it will pull to it's full potential, but it does fine for what I do and with the size tractor I have.
I leave it on the tractor all the time as it's nice to have it there as a bumper and for the times I do need it. I'm pulling it off tomorrow to put on the brush hog for a bit so it will be sitting for a few.
What size is your tractor again.

26 horse. B2650

sent from a field
Not sure that would handle it. Guess I'll need to drop the tractor off too lol.
Mine is the l3800, which I like a lot. Its been working hard the last couple weeks, and also just working holding some of those big ash splits on the back side of the splitter. It's kind of an expensive round table, but it's the one I have.
Got the last load of ash noodled up, not that I couldn't have just lifted it like the other larger pieces, but I need to run the 361 before I sold it and get all the fuel out of it:).20160916_192714.jpg20160916_190304.jpg

Nice!

If you ever need any help, let me know. I've got a buddy that can never find enough time to run his saws and I'd love to buy a dump trailer load of that black locust from you.

sent from a field

Thanks.
Maybe we need to have a small GTG :).
The black locust mainly comes from our 2.6 acres, and I hold tightly to it as for our area I don't think it gets any better than black locust for an all around wood. The honey locust burns a little hotter, but is a pain to split with its twisted grain even with a splitter. If you can spot black locust you can normally find a good stand of it with many leaners and locate the owners and see if they are willing to let you cut, then its game on.
We have a large stand about 2 miles from here I'd like to get after and another about 4 miles away. But it's a lot of work harvesting wood when I get mine by pulling up to a site and having them load my trailer for free. :D.
Not sure when I will get another load as the last one I damaged the uprights on my trailer and need to get that repaired before my trailer falls apart. It's certainly one of the downfalls of an aluminum trailer that's made more for hauling toys than working :(.
I do have a few I need to get out here that are dead standing or dead leaning, but I save those for winter and cut them and split them as I drop them, then throw them in the bucket and bring them right into the house. I did many last yr as the weather was great for it. I don't think I burned but maybe one cord from my pile last year with all the dead I brought straight into the house. Wish I didn't loose all my pictures, its awesome watching locust dry out by the stove, 2-3 days and it will have 3/16-1/4" cracks in it and will burn like mad.

That's funny.
I'm not thinking so, but you never know.
The guys I get my loads from are clearing some bigger lots and said that there will be a large amout. Im pretty sure he did say there was a big beech tree.
Do you still mill.
I don't anymore. That was a passing phase but one that I really enjoyed. I milled enough to build my kids play house and did some walnut slabs for a coworker..... but haven't done any since shortly after our son was born.

sent from a field

I don't anymore. That was a passing phase but one that I really enjoyed. I milled enough to build my kids play house and did some walnut slabs for a coworker..... but haven't done any since shortly after our son was born.

sent from a field
I was wondering, seen some of your post in regards to milling when I was considering doing some. I have an Alaskan mill and the 660 and have thought about, but know another member who has a bandsaw mill.
My kids playhous and my shed are all don in barn siding. But I have red oak that was milled by my buddy fir the sides of the wood shed. I hope to get skirt boards on it at least this fall and to correct/adjust the grade to keep water out of it. I kinda like it with no sides because you can walk in anywhere and pull in a quad mower from wherever, but the tractor is a little tall to pull through (I didn't want the wood shed to be tall, but to continue the roof lines of the other buildings. I just need the same steel for the front part of the roof now.
You can see some black locust(lol) in the picture as well as the red oak ready for me to do something with :).
If you know anyone with the roof metal let me know too please.1461793339681.jpg1461793526362.jpg1461793590101.jpg

Thanks.
Not familiar with it. Not sure what it would look like.
I have ice and water shield on it now, looking a small rib steel that is rusted to continue the look I already have going.

We use the 60mil to line the bottom of our landfill cells and the 40mil is used for capping the cells. Its plastic, black.

Think tarp, but way more durable. Benefit of the smooth is nothing really sticks to it. Snow would slide right off. I use the 40mil textured to cover my stacks. Cut to 44" wide.

Latest posts

Back