Dead elm removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the way the title comes on the screen. I must borrow that idea. Still waiting for the player to load.

I like that you "BOOM" the load to the center pin its a great technique thats safe , I see alot of guys try to lift the load off with the line and are overboomed and the crane deflects and the load is loose , I think thats where alot of cranes roll , when its overloaded the crane actually gains and when the wood releases it springs up and away from the crane , good work .....You can actually use the crane to its max and it looks like you were outta stick at first ...

Good work, Mike. That crane looks a little old and sketchy but it sure seemed the op knew what he was up to. Didn't know you were only in State College. Not too far from me. Keep up the good work.

I like that you "BOOM" the load to the center pin its a great technique thats safe , I see alot of guys try to lift the load off with the line and are overboomed and the crane deflects and the load is loose , I think thats where alot of cranes roll , when its overloaded the crane actually gains and when the wood releases it springs up and away from the crane , good work .....You can actually use the crane to its max and it looks like you were outta stick at first ...

wow. just got a text about this post in particular. you are not totally treetarded after all.

more or less leaving no chance to lose the load past the boom tip. nice post, 101.

bout time.

wow. just got a text about this post in particular. you are not totally treetarded after all.

more or less leaving no chance to lose the load past the boom tip. nice post, 101.

bout time.

Along that same line of thought would it make sense to position the tip of the boom a bit closer to the truck rather than directly over your work while setting the chokers? Would this technique be SOP or would you only use it after you're finished with the cut and have just a bit of wood to snap off? I always try to simply leave the piece as it was in the tree when it seperates. Obviously this is a HUGE learning process and using your technique to err on the side of caution might be helpful as I progress.

that all depends upon how the piece is weighted and where you want to go with it as you are cutting.

suppose you got a lean away from the boom. you don't want the tip past the work because when she gets set free the lean and the boom past the wood will cause that dreaded deflection, right?

so in that case a little bit before the work should be fine with the tip.

it isn't all that cut and dry because the wood/work dictates where you need to position the tip.

same thing if the lean goes toward the boom. in this case, right over or a tad behind will be fine cause now the work will just sit nicely into the boom if you have the right tension on the piece.

lotta people think crane work is easy. yes it is easy if done right but not if done wrong.

i still recommend you coming out some time if you want the right idea. i have a hard time with terminology and all that so conveying what i want said and the way i say it don't always work out to what i meant. better in person and that way you could get some saddle time to during the lesson. lol.

i say we figure out a good time in the winter for you to come out. if you get slow that is.

anyway. back on topic. yeah mike!

picture.php
I would like to see a couple pics. Pics always cool.

Actually I have only sipped down a couple nice cold ones at this point.. got some company coming by later though. Should be a fairly thirsty affair. :)

You do realize I was being sarcastic with the high road comment right od?

picture.php
OLD SCHOOL from 1999 A little white oak that we removed for a driveway apron The first pic was at 7 the second one was around 12pm We kept the road live the whole time ..

Last edited:
picture.php
Storm work from that same year in the winter , that was a nasty job and cold , it was raining than mixed with snow Heres one from last winter after working clearing snow for 30 + hours
picture.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back