Dealer says 441 M-Tronics are junk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I wasn't going to "out you", but it was your saw I mentioned to the tech. I told him I thought it was ballsy, and seemed to be a hell of a saw. :)

Besides elevation, I think maybe mods might make it run better than stock , and possibly stop the silliness that we're experiencing here with them. They (the dealer) can't mod any saws, or they risk getting their Gold status pulled. I'd like to see what a mod'd 441 would do here.

What kind of exhaust opening is Stihl putting on the new 441 M-T -- a 1/4" hole? :laugh:

Mine has only a MM and runs flawlessly. It is very strong for a stock saw. BTW, much stronger than a new 440 with a MM. I can't give you any info on long term durability, but it's sure not lacking in the power department, and runs perfectly while making all that power.

Mine has only a MM and runs flawlessly. It is very strong for a stock saw. BTW, much stronger than a new 440 with a MM. I can't give you any info on long term durability, but it's sure not lacking in the power department, and runs perfectly while making all that power.

I'd say it's stronger than a stock 372 as well, but still quite a bit behind a 7900. For a stock true 70cc saw not much can touch it and the 576 AT.

Both of these saws have a muffler mod only. The 441 is wearing a 28" B&C with a 7-pin rim and RSC chain. The 440 is wearing a 20" B&C, 8-pin rim, and a new loop of square ground Oregon chain. It's not eve close, despite the disadvantage the 441 had. Granted, the 440 didn't have 1/4 tank of fuel through it yet, but still...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/znxBWPQrPxs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7NL2C-Lx9yg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

See, that's what I'm saying! The videos of the M-Tronics show a real strong saw, with lots of ballz.

That's why the tech's report was a bit unexpected. . . I presumed he would say they made good power, and everyone was pretty happy with them.

I still think it may be an elevation issue with these carbs.

Who wants to send me their new ported 441 to test? :laugh:

See, that's what I'm saying! The videos of the M-Tronics show a real strong saw, with lots of ballz.

That's why the tech's report was a bit unexpected. . . I presumed he would say they made good power, and everyone was pretty happy with them.

And like I said, that's a bone stock saw, save a simple MM. I'll send you mine when I'm done porting it

...for a small fee:)

I don't see how elevation would be a problem. All the M-Tronics does is tune for max RPMs in the cut at all times, several times per second.

I don't see how elevation would be a problem. All the M-Tronics does is tune for max RPMs in the cut at all times, several times per second.

Ya got me? :dunno:

It's about the only thing I can think of that's different between OZ, OH, and MT. That and maybe humidity.

So is it looking to maintain a preset rpm, or the fastest possible?

There is no preset RPM, otherwise, it would never work on a ported saw. Someone posted a Stihl document a while back explaining how the M-Tronic works. It simply monitors RPM. It will then pull a little fuel, and see if it speeds up or slows down. If it speeds up, it figures it was rich, and continues adjusting similiarly. All this is done several times per second. The result is a saw that's always tuned for max RPM in the wood. That's pretty much a perfect world when it comes to tuning.

I don't think a stock 372 would be close. I don't recall how far ahead the 7900 was, but it does have a 10% displacement advantage. That's significant.

I had to go look, in the first vid the 7900 was 8.8% faster, in the second vid after I leaned it out a bit, it was almost exactly 10% faster.

I think Mike's 372 was super strong stock and I think it would have given it a good run, it's just one of those saws.:msp_wink:

I'm beginning to question the 441 though. I set it on my bench earlier this week, and it's now in a million pieces:) I'll probably be pulling the cylinder tomorrow.

IMG7855-M.jpg

I had to go look, in the first vid the 7900 was 8.8% faster, in the second vid after I leaned it out a bit, it was almost exactly 10% faster.

I think Mike's 372 was super strong stock and I think it would have given it a good run, it's just one of those saws.:msp_wink:

That's pretty amazing, considering the reputation the 7900 has, and the displacement difference!

Latest posts

Back