Dear Abby

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just fuel the sumbeach up point to it and tell her to grab the new saw you got her so she can help cut wood.

50/50 shot she either grabs the saw or that saw is so damn invisible you'll need red flags to find it.

In the words of John Prine:

Stihl waiting, Stihl waiting
You have no complaint
You are what your are and you ain't what you ain't
So listen up Buster, and listen up good
Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood

Hey GS!

I saw the OP's original message and THOUGHT OF THE SAME SONG!

OP: Tell her .... if this crap keeps up, many years from now she will no longer be your 'partner' and will turn into the 'war department' .... lol

Last edited:
If I were you (and in this "jam") I would mention the saw in a casual sort of way. such as, "Man, I am so happy I got the brandX model 99 because that cuts way better than the yy 98 one I had before. Sure does make my woodcutting easier. A lot of guys say they got their wives a WW 10 so she could help cut but I think with this new one I can get it all done without help. However if you think you would like to do some of the cutting, I could probably borrow one of the WW 10's so you could give it a try and see what you think of it..."

And then see where that goes. Maybe straight to the doghouse?

900 bucks

Dear Abby:
I have one heck of a scrape to get out of. This one is a doozy, and I just can’t decide the right thing to do. I’m sure you will help me out with my problem. I can’t believe it but my wife hasn’t noticed the $900 new saw I bought last month. Not that I’d expect her to actually SEE it in the garage, after all, one creamscicle is the same as any other, right? No, I’m talking about the dreaded credit card bill. Several hundred bucks at a hardware store is sure to raise suspicion, but so far, nothing but silence. So my question is, should I tell her about it and claim that I was just “trying it out” between then and now, or let her figure it out on her own (maybe never?!) and then try to convince her that it is really SAVING us money by allowing me to cut a lot more, way faster?

Signed, Stihl Waiting for the Poop to Hit the Fan

Man, that's about a good half a dozen of the larger items on the honey-do list around here.... have fun with your new saw..it will wind up costing you twice as much in the long run I bet...heh

From who has been at this for 37+ years Tell Her than tell her it is also a Tax Write off for next Tax time. I am down to ( you want a 42" bar for that darn chainsaw Oh go ahead you need more for the Tax's than Why don't you have as much as you used to) you may just have enough for itI got my big saw in 86 and still rin it now, that same year she got a Husqvarna Soeing Machine The saw gets far more use,

The OP is sorry excuse of a husband hiding something from his wife. A real man honors his wife by telling her everything he is doing. The fact that irks me to no end is the lack of respect to his wife. Your wife is there for you when the times are good and when they are bad and she gets treated this way that is grounds for a bad marriage.

The OP is sorry excuse of a husband hiding something from his wife. A real man honors his wife by telling her everything he is doing. The fact that irks me to no end is the lack of respect to his wife. Your wife is there for you when the times are good and when they are bad and she gets treated this way that is grounds for a bad marriage.

So tell me, are you married? Or is counseling one of the many jobs you have held and claim to be proficient in?

Some men are real and others are posers. Marriage is a partnership not a dictatorship. Man and woman are equal in the marriage. If you hide it your from your partner your a coward. The man should tell his partner he did something and deal with the consequences whether good or bad. By lying and deceiving your partner you are showing that she should never ever trust you again.

the op should take a poll ... and consider taking advice from guys that have been married [ happily,and respectably ] for 20 + years Im in... 1st page post is the right thing to do !!!

the op should take a poll ... and consider taking advice from guys that have been married [ happily,and respectably ] for 20 + years Im in... 1st page post is the right thing to do !!!

If you been hitched that long you know lieing to the wife is a bad thing.

we have no right to judge the OP! yes lieing to the wife = BAD IDEA! i wont lie to my wife and i expect she not to lie to me! best of luck!
P.S. the dog house aint all that bad.

Wow

I'm surprised so many readers took this so seriously. I expected a whole slew of smart-aleck comments, since the post was set up like a dumb advice column letter. Relax folks - all is good. For those who are truly worried about the integrity of the Jaber's marriage, thanks for the kind words and encouragement, but it's under control (really). Have a fun weekend. I know I will using my clandestine saw, with only the burning evil in my heart to keep me warm.

EDIT: After thinking a few more minutes, we should look on the bright side and say in all seriousness that it's encouraging to see so many guys willing to chastise a fellow and stick up for the "right thing to do" in an age when so many disregard the finer points of marriage. Kudos to you.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine bought a motorcycle without telling his wife. It was being shipped to him from out of state. He kept waiting "for the right time" to tell her.
They went on vacation. When they got back home his wife listened to the messages on the answering machine. One of them was from a warehouse employee saying that his motorcycle was there and ready to be picked up.
She didn't take it well. LOL

~snip~

I'm surprised so many readers took this so seriously. I expected a whole slew of smart-aleck comments, since the post was set up like a dumb advice column letter. Relax folks - all is good. For those who are truly worried about the integrity of the Jaber's marriage, thanks for the kind words and encouragement, but it's under control (really). Have a fun weekend. I know I will using my clandestine saw, with only the burning evil in my heart to keep me warm.

That's exactly how I took it! I figured there be some smok'n pros blazing the screen.

A member who used to post here named Woodie, comes to mind on this one.

Latest posts

Back