Dear Abby

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tell her it's for her.. really !!
about a year and a half or so ago, i bought a 1 hour old ms880 w/ 41" b/c, it was around her b-day time, so i said look "what i got for you honey",, she loved it..
you would'nt beleive how many people she tells that she has a stihl ms880, seriously !!!!!

A buddy of mine bought a motorcycle without telling his wife. It was being shipped to him from out of state. He kept waiting "for the right time" to tell her.
They went on vacation. When they got back home his wife listened to the messages on the answering machine. One of them was from a warehouse employee saying that his motorcycle was there and ready to be picked up.
She didn't take it well. LOL

I used to work with a woman whose husband had a practice of spending money without telling her. They both made good money (probably $175K between the 2 of them 15+ years ago) but it would irk her to no end.

One day she was cleaning up and found an invoice for a storage facility and she asked her husband about it. It turns out he had spent $16K on a Harley and was keeping it in the storage unit. Needless to say, she went ballistic!

I have bought and sold cars and trucks my wife never knew about. No need to hide it from her, she just didn't care (unless they were stacked in the driveway or yard).

Last edited:
It turns out he had spent $16K on a Harley and was keeping it in the storage unit.
LOL. A guy on a dirtbike website I frequent kept/hid his dirtbike and riding gear in a storage unit because his wife wouldn't let him ride dirtbikes. His screen name was "Stealthrider". LOL
He rode for about 3 years like that. Then he decided he couldn't take the stress and sold it.

I can't believe no one wanted to see pictures of the saw or what make/model of saw it was.

You could just pull it out and use and if she asks when you got it, just tell her you've had it awhile.

you know, really, ther's a turrable double standard going on in many marriages. she can go shopping, and for the most part, buy whatever the heck she wants, needs and can afford.
Most men never, ever question what her stuff costs, b/c we don't mind and or don't care.
Tell her you really need a new bar and chain, and get The Look. Hmph. Most men are whupped.

Dear Abby:
I have one heck of a scrape to get out of. This one is a doozy, and I just can’t decide the right thing to do. I’m sure you will help me out with my problem. I can’t believe it but my wife hasn’t noticed the $900 new saw I bought last month. Not that I’d expect her to actually SEE it in the garage, after all, one creamscicle is the same as any other, right? No, I’m talking about the dreaded credit card bill. Several hundred bucks at a hardware store is sure to raise suspicion, but so far, nothing but silence. So my question is, should I tell her about it and claim that I was just “trying it out” between then and now, or let her figure it out on her own (maybe never?!) and then try to convince her that it is really SAVING us money by allowing me to cut a lot more, way faster?

Signed, Stihl Waiting for the Poop to Hit the Fan

Silence is how wives generally do it! Kinda like the calm before a storm...

ON saturday I told my wife I was going to buy a new saw (MS 660) she was kind of grey on the subject but it seemed to me that it was OK with how it was left as I told her I sold some other saws to help with the cost.

So Monday shows up and I go get the saw and do a tree job mind you it covered half the cost of the new saw. I never said anything to DW about the new saw Monday. I try to not rnun around with it showing it off to her. She really does nto care at all for the saw thing one bit. So why rub salt into a wound. Tuesday I mention to her I got the new saw:msp_angry: then told her how much it cost:angry:

Needless to say I thought I was being up front about it but she did not see it that way. Things are all good on it now after some explaing of what is going on with the purchase.

Short of the story even though being married for 20 years of last September we still do not always see eye to on things. Better to not hide them though. Better to eat crow warm than cold.

Also getting marriage advice here is probably not the best. The well other guys wives don't have a problem is like putting gas on a fire:bang:

Dear Abby,

Here I sit again, lonely, while my husband sits in his garage playing with a chainsaw. Yes, you heard me correctly. You know, a woman has urges and if her man spends all of his energy, time and resources tending to other interests, I must take care of myself.

I had hoped that he would come around, but now I see a big credit card charge from the hardware store, most likely another saw (like he needs another saw). As usual, he lacks the balz to tell me about it. I guess he thinks I stupid enough to not notice the charge or the shiny new saw he stashes behind his old saws.

Well, enough of his problems. When I'm out with the girls, do you think I should ask men about chainsaws so as to avoid this dilemma in the future, or is that too forward?

Oh, if you need firewood, or a cookie (whatever the heck that is), just let me know because I'm up to my a$$ in wood.

Mrs. J.

Here's how you do it...

My wife wanted a new mountain bike. Her old one was a hard frame and she wanted a soft-tail to be easier on her body. She saw the frame on sale and said she was going to buy just it to get the deal, and then wait a while to have it built.

OK, Honey, you deserve it.

It wasn't too long before the prospect of a softer ride wore her down and she announced that she was going to have the bike built.

OK, that's great.

My new bike's ready! I'm going to go pick it up!

OK, drive safely. By the way, how much is this new bike costing us?

[deer in headlights] Uh, um, $3,400?

Cool! Now I guess I can get the big screen plasma I've been wanting.

Uh, yeah. I guess so....

(This was back when that was about how much a 42" plasma cost.)

Dear Abby,

Here I sit again, lonely, while my husband sits in his garage playing with a chainsaw. Yes, you heard me correctly. You know, a woman has urges and if her man spends all of his energy, time and resources tending to other interests, I must take care of myself.

I had hoped that he would come around, but now I see a big credit card charge from the hardware store, most likely another saw (like he needs another saw). As usual, he lacks the balz to tell me about it. I guess he thinks I stupid enough to not notice the charge or the shiny new saw he stashes behind his old saws.

Well, enough of his problems. When I'm out with the girls, do you think I should ask men about chainsaws so as to avoid this dilemma in the future, or is that too forward?

Oh, if you need firewood, or a cookie (whatever the heck that is), just let me know because I'm up to my a$$ in wood.

Mrs. J.

Dear Mrs. J,

I believe that you should join your husband in the woods when he is chainsawing and see what enjoyment and stimulation you might derive from it. To research your question, I accompanied my husband out on a woodcutting excursion. He very nicely showed me all of the safety features of the saw, and demonstrated how to hold it.

I have a smaller frame than he does, so his big Husqvarna 570 (I believe he referred to it as a "Husky") was a little difficult for me to handle. However, I found that bracing the handle against my body, centered, down low about hip level, made it easier for me to handle, so much so that I actually enjoyed the feel of the machine more than I thought I would.

In fact, I ran us out of gas and oil! I'm looking forward to our next woodcutting outing, and have begun looking for my own saw. I'm thinking about an older one that will fit in with his collection, and lacks vibration dampening.

Happy Abby!

This is a great thread...funny how relationships still work even if the communication breaks down a bit...it's cuz of this little thing called LOVE.

LOVE makes the world go 'round, LOVE never fails, LOVE is blind...

I for one am really glad love is blind sometimes, or your Bounty Hunter would be nappin' in the doghouse way more...

We know men and women think differently...that's a good thing, and one of the reasons being married is never boring. Let's face it, us guys are never gonna figure women out. How's that song go? Women are like a maze that the walls are constantly changing?

So when ya get down to the basic things, men (and women) can make mistakes and...their spouse is still going to love them because it's the love that is more important than the mistake. Try not to make big mistakes (something like infidelity would be on the top 'o that list), make the same mistake twice (if you get hammered for a 460, don't go buy an 880 and not tell her), and don't hide yer mistakes...it will only turn into lies and that makes any mistake a big mistake.

If you really enjoy collecting saws, tell her! Be honest, ya bought a new saw cuz you really wanted it! Love grows with honesty and trust...grows strong and solid, and mistakes become a lesser thing because when you love, trust, and are honest, you tell yer mate everything and she knows everything...even how much ya want that saw. Then you both can share in the joy of buying and bringing home yer new toy, and won't have to hide it instead.

Just the way i see it Brother...

Good Luck and Saw Safe :cheers:

Dear Mrs J.,
Men appreciate women who can spell. Work on your grammer and chainsaw identification skills.
Taking a class or two on 2 cycle engines wouldn't hurt, as well as learning to correctly hand file full chisle saw chain.
You will likey be pleasantly surpised at the new attention you get from your main squeeze.
Sincerely,
The Abster

I'm surprised so many readers took this so seriously. I expected a whole slew of smart-aleck comments, since the post was set up like a dumb advice column letter. Relax folks - all is good. For those who are truly worried about the integrity of the Jaber's marriage, thanks for the kind words and encouragement, but it's under control (really). Have a fun weekend. I know I will using my clandestine saw, with only the burning evil in my heart to keep me warm.

EDIT: After thinking a few more minutes, we should look on the bright side and say in all seriousness that it's encouraging to see so many guys willing to chastise a fellow and stick up for the "right thing to do" in an age when so many disregard the finer points of marriage. Kudos to you.

Your marraige is under control as far as you know. If you don't tell your wife about $1000 saw purchases (be honest - that $900 saw will need at least $100 worth of chains and bars over the next 6 months), what makes you think she tells you about everything? For all you know, she's got a back-door man who doesn't run up $1000 credit card bills behind her back.

This is a great thread...funny how relationships still work even if the communication breaks down a bit...it's cuz of this little thing called LOVE.

LOVE makes the world go 'round, LOVE never fails, LOVE is blind...

Yeah, a woman neglected by her husband often will find another man who can give her some good, deep-down lovin'! Guys do the same thing, it's human nature.

Is hiding a $1000 saw purchase as bad as getting lovin' from another dude? No, but that hidden saw purchase could be part of a pattern that makes her feel the need to get some good lovin' elsewhere.

Dear Mrs J.,
Men appreciate women who can spell. Work on your grammer and chainsaw identification skills.
Taking a class or two on 2 cycle engines wouldn't hurt, as well as learning to correctly hand file full chisle saw chain.
You will likey be pleasantly surpised at the new attention you get from your main squeeze.
Sincerely,
The Abster

Dear The Abster,

We do appreciate good spelling. I have fixed yours.

Sincerely,

The Badger

Men appreciate women who can spell. Work on your grammar and chainsaw identification skills. Taking a class or two on 2 cycle engines wouldn't hurt, as well as learning to correctly hand file full chisel saw chain.

You will likely be pleasantly surprised at the new attention you get from your main squeeze.

Sincerely,

The Abster

Latest posts

Back