Debarking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettabaker

Reaction score
I have a bunch of trees, mostly pine that I want to cut down but don't have the time currently to debark or mill. I have been told that at a certain point in winter Temps that the lumber will safe until I cut it or it warms up. I really would like to use this lumber for rough cut framing lumber so I hate to ruin it by dropping it now and it being ruined before I can cut it up. Could I get some opinions from you guys who know something about this?
Thanks

I have a bunch of trees, mostly pine that I want to cut down but don't have the time currently to debark or mill. I have been told that at a certain point in winter Temps that the lumber will safe until I cut it or it warms up. I really would like to use this lumber for rough cut framing lumber so I hate to ruin it by dropping it now and it being ruined before I can cut it up. Could I get some opinions from you guys who know something about this?
Thanks
freezing temps put just about everything on hold.
though, it might be better to cut what you can handle in a short time, then go get some more.
We had another member here cut down several acres of Pine in CO, THENNNNN bought his mill, which took awhile to arrive, despite everyones best advice, he then ended up being forced to truck them off or cut them into firewood.

Debarking and coating the ends with Anchor Seal will help a lot, as it cuts off the capillary action through the phloem if the log. But either way, pine will rot in a hurry as soon as the log comes above freezing. It’s best to mill logs as soon as possible after falling.

Latest posts

Back