Decent source for AM piston/cylinder kits?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a source for a reliable, reasonably priced aftermarket pistons and cylinders? Specifically, at this point I'm looking for one to fit an 024 AV. I'd like to port mine, but I'm not willing to screw up the OEM parts just to get up the learning curve. Looks like there are a hand full of options available, but I have no idea which ones are pure junk, and which ones can be "fixed" as part of the porting process.

Thanks,
Mark

Looks like they have a piston for the 024, but no cylinders. Since they sell Hyway cylinders, is it reasonable to assume that that I can at least expect that those cylinders are half way decent? May have flash on the castings that needs to be dealt with, but the casting itself isn't full of voids and pits, and the plating is good?

Can anyone recommend a source for a reliable, reasonably priced aftermarket pistons and cylinders? Specifically, at this point I'm looking for one to fit an 024 AV. I'd like to port mine, but I'm not willing to screw up the OEM parts just to get up the learning curve. Looks like there are a hand full of options available, but I have no idea which ones are pure junk, and which ones can be "fixed" as part of the porting process.

Thanks,
Mark
You be opening up a **** ton of hurt from the OEM or bust crowd....

Thanks,
Mark
Try lilredbarn garry

You be opening up a **** ton of hurt from the OEM or bust crowd....
I doubt it. What he’s doing is perfect for an aftermarket cylinder. And after he’s done with the porting he can compare to oem and run whichever he wants. Or if the plating flakes off and he catches it soon enough he can still go back to oem.

The “oem guys” pretty much only want the customer to be educated before they buy. Most oem husky cylinders are only $20 more than what you “AM parts pushers” call “quality” anyway. It’s foolish at that price point

The “oem guys” pretty much only want the customer to be educated before they buy. Most oem husky cylinders are only $20 more than what you “AM parts pushers” call “quality” anyway. It’s foolish at that price point
Not from what I have read , most have the OEM or bust mentality, anyways champ, I ain't pushing anyone to buy anything, "you “AM parts pushers” ROFLMAO. Of course you are talking yankee money, parts ain't cheap like they are in yankee land.

Meteor has been the gold standard for aftermarket pistons and cylinders for some time now. That being said the Hyway stuff has been improving quite a bit. Wolf Creek is a good source for that stuff.

From what I'm seeing, Hyway doesn't have a 42mm jug for an 024 AV. They sell a piston kit, but no cylinder.

I don't mean any offece to anyone, but I'm really not interested in spending +$80 for a meteor kit that I could easily ruin since I've never ported anything. I only gave $75 for the saw when I bought it back from a friend of mine, and he was only asking $50 for it. If I had some experience under my belt, and I was building something to sell, it would be a different story. My goal is to learn something, and hopefully make the 024 a little more useful with an 18" bar. If all goes well, I'd move to my 026 next, then to my 036s down the road. By the time I get to the 036s, I'd probably be willing to spend more on better parts if fore no other reason than I run them harder.

Not from what I have read , most have the OEM or bust mentality, anyways champ, I ain't pushing anyone to buy anything, "you “AM parts pushers” ROFLMAO. Of course you are talking yankee money, parts ain't cheap like they are in yankee land.
Don’t know what to tell ya, Champ. Gotta pay for that crown somehow. But the OP is in yankee land, so…🤷‍♂️

I only use Hyway, made in Taiwan or Meteor, Italian made. Meteor seems to have a better finished. better than some OEM but I always check the port chamfers for sharp edges, I would do that with any cylinder OEM or Aftermarket.

Thanks,
Mark
Meteor and caber brand is really only aftermarket I would recommend .the gen 4 husky stuff from China has come a long way ., but still not the crem dele crem . Wolf creek saws and saw salvage , best supply in fla seems to have oem stuff available also .timberland saw sales in Clinton corners ny is a caber dealer for saws

Meteor and caber brand is really only aftermarket I would recommend .the gen 4 husky stuff from China has come a long way ., but still not the crem dele crem . Wolf creek saws and saw salvage , best supply in fla seems to have oem stuff available also .timberland saw sales in Clinton corners ny is a caber dealer for saws
Doesn't really seem to matter as neither Hyway or Meteor makes a 42mm cylinder for an 024. Cheap aftermarket seems to be the only option for this saw.

Doesn't really seem to matter as neither Hyway or Meteor makes a 42mm cylinder for an 024. Cheap aftermarket seems to be the only option for this saw.
Don't worry I'm sure one of the OEM or bust crowd will send you a OEM cylinder and piston for free...... 🤣

Here in Canada, dealer supplied parts are very expensive and shipping costs from anywhere are crazy, Except from China. Many customers will not pay for OEM, so I have replaced a lot of top ends with AM from China with excellent results, might be the way to go if you are looking for something cheap to experiment on. In my experience, Farmertec has the best quality.

Here in Canada, dealer supplied parts are very expensive and shipping costs from anywhere are crazy, Except from China. Many customers will not pay for OEM, so I have replaced a lot of top ends with AM from China with excellent results, might be the way to go if you are looking for something cheap to experiment on. In my experience, Farmertec has the best quality.
Honestly, this is exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. I see some no name cylinders available, but I'm never sure what I can trust and what I can't. I think I've seen some 42mm farmertec cylinders. I'll start looking into that. Thanks!!!

Just remember there is a world outside of yankee land and the prices are usually more expensive.
We call this place the Stihl dealer parts counter.
Honestly, this is exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. I see some no name cylinders available, but I'm never sure what I can trust and what I can't. I think I've seen some 42mm farmertec cylinders. I'll start looking into that. Thanks!!!
Surprised it took four days for one China saw person to chime in. Glad you got the info you wanted.

Likewise for my country, shipping costs and parts are exorbitantly expensive and sometimes parts are cheaper from China, would I put OEM parts on a saw?, every single time but the costs to do so generally are prohibitively expensive, my local Stihl dealer wanted to charge me $50USD for two seals for a Stihl 044.

Latest posts

Back