Designing A Boot For You

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignGuy000

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Eric, I am an industrial design student out of Houston, Tx. I am working on several concepts for works boots and the logging industry came up as a market with a lot of brand loyalty and knowledge of what makes a GOOD boot. I was hoping that if you're reading this and have time you wouldn't mind leaving a few comments.

So my question is " What is one thing you wish was different about your current pair of boots?"
It can be as general as " They're too heavy" or specific "I wish I was able to sprint in them" or" I want to be able to go from climbing to walking in as little time as possible"

If when you comment you can say what kind of boots you have that would help!
(ex. Georgia 9" Waterproof Logger Boot)
Also feel free to give me any more info ( Your occupation, observations on boots, stories or accidents you have seen cause of improper gear)

Any feedback you want to give would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Attachments

• University_of_Houston_Seal.png
    University_of_Houston_Seal.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 10
I wear danner quarry loggers. I primarily climb with spikes so a good shank and about a 10 or 12 inch boot is ideal. A little more wear resistance in the rub zones would be nice (i.e. toe and heel)

A climbing boot with chainsaw protection that isn't clunkier n' hell. With a low profile thin toe. Maybe some type of rubber to reduce wear on ankle. Laces that are protected at the grommets.
Breathable.
Light.
Toe cap is a must.
Composite shank, STEEL toe.

Field of work : arboriculture, climber.

I wear red dawgs from baileys. I used to get wesco boots but it turned out the extra expense (over the red dawgs) wasn't worth it. Plus the shoe store in my town closed and baileys was always sending flyers, etc. I'm on my third pair, they seem to last as long as the wescos. About the only thing to change for me would be the grommets at the laces. Maybe it's just me, I have a fairly narrow width and calf. It always wears the lace at the grommets out, whatever I do. It even happens with my other shoes, not just my work boots. Maybe there's a different way to lace up I don't know about lol.

Tree climber.
Also, when I worked in the woods my partner sold me on the concept of not wearing steel toe, due to the fact if in the unfortunate event of something landing on your foot the steel toe collapses and severs your toes. I believed him at the time, and have never owned a pair of steel toed boots, but now I'm wondering if there is truth in this. Just curious.

Also was thinking about this after I posted. I need to mention a couple things, maybe I'm not a good target audience for the original poster.
A. Some tree guys seem to roll out of bed and throw their boots on. I'm not one of those guys. I have my boots on at the job and that's about it. I have a buddy that's also a tree contractor. I've known him probably 7-8 years and I don't think I've ever seen him without his boots on. He wears the wesco 16" climbers if it matters.
B. The last few years most of my climbing has been with spikes. Where I live it's 80+ % conifers and by the time I'm there it's about removing them. I wouldn't want to have the boots I have if I had a job somewhere where I was soft shoeing all day in big canopy trees.

I want a steel toe just solely based on the fact that composite will not come close to stopping a saw. Now i know how EXTREMELY unlikely it is that any good climber hits his toe.. But you never know.

I like it when the heel of the boot contours in above the heel to match the natural slope of the back of your foot to the achillies tendon area. Too many boots, even the expensive ones are flat and go straight up back there. this causes stress and friction which causes blisters. My Lowa's have the contoured heel and it is lovely.

e6b623ba31b940b8eeb054977d33855d.jpg

Those Meindls don't look to have a big enough step in the heel for spurs in the pics.

To the op, bear in mind that arboristsite are entirely different from loggers. Arborists tend to have very different needs in their boots from loggers. There's a logging forum also on this forum, and boy those guys sure do talk about boots a lot I tell ya, and they ain't shy of spending $$$ on them either. If I had a dollar for every time someone started a boot thread in the arborist forums I could buy a pair of shoelaces. If I had a dollar for every time someone started a boot thread in the logging forum I could buy a pair of boots.

Also, when I worked in the woods my partner sold me on the concept of not wearing steel toe, due to the fact if in the unfortunate event of something landing on your foot the steel toe collapses and severs your toes. I believed him at the time, and have never owned a pair of steel toed boots, but now I'm wondering if there is truth in this. Just curious.

No, not true. If it was heavy enough to do that it would have completely pancakes your non steel toe boot and toes.
They did that myth on Mythbusters TV actually.
Some years back I was wearing a pair on non steel toe "jungle boots". My regular boots which were steel toe were wet and these were a backup pair.
I had a truck axle fall and explode my big toe on my left foot.
That was about 10 year and 2 surgeries ago, my toe still is not 100%. For a while the Docs were going to amputate it even.

I can't count how many times steel toes have saved my toes. Even just from pieces of firewood slipping from my hands.

Those Meindls don't look to have a big enough step in the heel for spurs in the pics.

To the op, bear in mind that arboristsite are entirely different from loggers. Arborists tend to have very different needs in their boots from loggers. There's a logging forum also on this forum, and boy those guys sure do talk about boots a lot I tell ya, and they ain't shy of spending $$$ on them either. If I had a dollar for every time someone started a boot thread in the arborist forums I could buy a pair of shoelaces. If I had a dollar for every time someone started a boot thread in the logging forum I could buy a pair of boots.

Well said. If the OP wants more information the Logging and Forestry section would be a good place to start.
LOL...he'll definitely get some opinions.

The meindl heel seems to be just fine with spurs, they don't move once the straps are on, feel very secure when climbing and are comfy with good padding

Mine work well with steel buckinghams, most of the others use very similar spikes (one of whom is full time large gum removals) two boys use geckos and every climber in the company bar one wears the meindls, no complaints

Valley firewood thanks for the steel toe info I'm going to check out the myth busters show. The man that told me that was my partner as a 21-23 year old working in the woods. I saw him do some pretty amazing things with trees and I just grew to never question what he said, which has worked out pretty good for me. I just always wondered about the steel toe thing...

The meindl heel seems to be just fine with spurs, they don't move once the straps are on, feel very secure when climbing and are comfy with good padding

Mine work well with steel buckinghams, most of the others use very similar spikes (one of whom is full time large gum removals) two boys use geckos and every climber in the company bar one wears the meindls, no complaints

Are they comfortable to wear on the ground/go hiking in? I've been wearing steel blues for years and like them because they're very light and comfortable but the shank in them could do to be stiffer on spikes. Where are you buying them from?

G'day Shaun, I've walked a few miles in them with no complaints, not my hiking shoe of choice but comfy with good support, a few groundies wear them too and most of us have had more than one pair, they're not bargain prices but available from Honey Brothers in uk for about $350AU, Oz price is just under $600... goretex, waterproof, handmade, tough, good shape for forks and Vibram sole which grips smooth barked trees like **** to a blanket

I wish they were lighter, less expensive, and would last longer. Other than that, more stylish.

A little off topic, but I'd really like to have a pair of boots that are light, cool in the summer, and stylish with better=tougher materials that I can wear for light work and go down town in and still look good in them.

I can find stylish boots, but they're too hot, and made of materials that won't stand up to much. The most comfortable pair of boots I have are a pair of Danner's Mil Spec. Desert boots. Problem is they're for dry climates, if you get them wet they'll fall apart on you. Something like those, made of more durable materials would be great. 3 different pairs 1. like I just mentioned for summer and light work. 1. Just like I mentioned , but with steel toes or metatarsals. And 1. that's insulated for winter.

Latest posts

Back