DHT 35 TON

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On/off valves on all the hydraulic lines. Looks like you did something to the wedge but I can't see from this pic. Looks like you added spikes to the push plate. Whats the two lever coming from the wedge area?

Ok the lever that has aluminum on the end is the control, I didn't like the short lever so I made a longer one,and the all black lever is the stroke reducer. There is still something else that is heavily modified though.The wedge plate is factory.

There is a plate bolted to the rail just under the valve bank that doesn't appear on a stock unit. You have 3 hydraulic lines connected to the valve bank. There is still something going on with the wedge area that doesn't look stock. Looks like the return line is bigger than stock. Wedge looks like it's a little taller, Kinda of a vague pic to see details on.

Log strippers are modified, does have a 4 way on it. steel line replace with a hose with sweeping 90 degree fittings. return line is now 3/4, filter housing has been replaced with a 25 gpm unit, I did put a valve up on the return line to be able to pump fluid out into pails to help with oil changes, the plate is there to help if I drop a log, but most importantly is the tank.

Log strippers are modified, does have a 4 way on it. steel line replace with a hose with sweeping 90 degree fittings. return line is now 3/4, filter housing has been replaced with a 25 gpm unit, I did put a valve up on the return line to be able to pump fluid out into pails to help with oil changes, the plate is there to help if I drop a log, but most importantly is the tank.

It looks like the tank filter and return are in a different location. But I looked up several photos of DHT splitters and there seems to be some variance in where these are located depending on which one I looked at.

I looked at DHT units before I bought my new one this past January. I went with the countyline instead because everything was already beefed up without having to modify anything. Bigger motor, pump, hoses, bigger tires, bigger tank, taller wedge, bigger cylinder that has a bigger push rod. You still got a solid unit there though, nice mods. I really like the taller wedge the countyline unit has. Did your mods shorten cycle times? Cycle times on mine is 9.5....She's pretty quick.

2wej9s0.jpg

I have the stroke reducer set at 21 inches, and that brought my cycle times down to 11.5 seconds which is way faster than my old 27 ton troy built, the county line wasn't out at the time I bought this splitter other wise I would have bought it, but this splitter is a lot better now since I did these mods, and what I really like now is it went from running hot to me to running almost to cold with the new tank I built for it, and now that I am older I really like the crane that I just made for it20180520_135046.jpg

I thought the tank looked bigger than a stock unit, but I havent looked at a lot of DHT's so that mod is hard to spot. I have been thinking about putting a crane lift on my splitter for years. Even before I bought my new one. How well does it work? In your opinion, is it better then the traditional log lift's that most splitters use? I'd fab one up but I don't have the equipment to do metal fab and welding work. 11.5 cycle times is not bad at all, beats the 15 sec most units run at. That few sec per stroke ads up quickly, cutting down splitting times quite a bit. Hows that 4 way working out so far? Can you post a pic of how you mounted your crane lift?

I just noticed you dio, you have only posted 5 time in the past year and a half. Post more stuff, we'd love to hear from you and see what your up to. Don't be a stranger.

Its a 25 gallon tank holding 21 gallons of oil plus whats in the lines and cylinder. It was 14.5 seconds when I timed it when it was new. As far as a log lift vs. crane, I don't know never had any, but it sure beats ripping with a saw. 4 way works ok on small stuff, I wouldn't run it through that big a piece in the picture, seem like the side wedges are to small and won't split all the way out, then it gets stuck in the log. Made this table up as you can see scrap pieces laying around the shop, I did drill some 2 inch holes in it since this picture was taking. Been coming here since 2015 but joined last year.20180501_123631.jpg

Its a 25 gallon tank holding 21 gallons of oil plus whats in the lines and cylinder. It was 14.5 seconds when I timed it when it was new. As far as a log lift vs. crane, I don't know never had any, but it sure beats ripping with a saw. 4 way works ok on small stuff, I wouldn't run it through that big a piece in the picture, seem like the side wedges are to small and won't split all the way out, then it gets stuck in the log. Made this table up as you can see scrap pieces laying around the shop, I did drill some 2 inch holes in it since this picture was taking. Been coming here since 2015 but joined last year.View attachment 654422

Is this the same Lauren that posts as Adirondack Case Guy on Y.T.

Latest posts

Back