Did I screw up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtgrs737

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got a nice used Stihl MS 260 pro from a fella and he gave me the option of a new bar and two chains with it. I only needed to tell him which size bar and chain I needed, either .325" pitch or .3/8" pitch. I wasn't sure which was best but I did know that my 031 AV has 3/8" pitch chain and a 16" bar so I went with that size so that I could swap the chains out with it if need be. I took a second look to be sure that the 031 was indeed 3/8" pitch and sure enough it was, however I discovered it has .043 gauge drive links where as the 260 is .050 gauge. So unless I re-bar the .031 there will be only complete bar swaps if that is even possible. I got to looking at a old Stihl brochure and the recomended bar and chain for the MS 260 is a 16" bar and .325" pitch chain, did I blow it on the chain pitch size or not? I do mostly clean up type of work with the saw, not much felling or firewood and mostly soft woods but from time to time I could get into some hedge wood that is not seasoned. The gentleman included two new RSC3 chains for it, which is what I would of chosen, but maybe there is a better choice for this size saw, what do you guys think? :cheers:

I just got a nice used Stihl MS 260 pro from a fella and he gave me the option of a new bar and two chains with it. I only needed to tell him which size bar and chain I needed, either .325" pitch or .3/8" pitch. I wasn't sure which was best but I did know that my 031 AV has 3/8" pitch chain and a 16" bar so I went with that size so that I could swap the chains out with it if need be. I took a second look to be sure that the 031 was indeed 3/8" pitch and sure enough it was, however I discovered it has .043 gauge drive links where as the 260 is .050 gauge. So unless I re-bar the .031 there will be only complete bar swaps if that is even possible. I got to looking at a old Stihl brochure and the recomended bar and chain for the MS 260 is a 16" bar and .325" pitch chain, did I blow it on the chain pitch size or not? I do mostly clean up type of work with the saw, not much felling or firewood and mostly soft woods but from time to time I could get into some hedge wood that is not seasoned. The gentleman included two new RSC3 chains for it, which is what I would of chosen, but maybe there is a better choice for this size saw, what do you guys think? :cheers:

I run a 16" bar, .325 pitch, .063 gauge on my muffler modded 260 and it works well for me. Others like a 16" bar, 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge on their 260's. I think that a 16" bar is best suited for that saw.

Kevin

What is the advantage of the smaller chain on this saw? Does it weigh less and run faster or does it have more cutters that the 3/8" chain? I am new to the technical side of these things.

You should be just fine with the 3/8's, but if you find you don't like it shoot me a PM. I'll trade you a like new 16" Stihl .325 bar and two loops of RS for it.

As the others have said either combo will work, I like the 3/8 16" myself. 99% of my chains are 3/8" though, easy to find a file.:chainsaw:

I would like to thank all that have replied, I am thinking that if I mod the muffler it should not be an issue running the 3/8" chain. Now if I can find a piture of the muffler mod I should be set. Thanks again!

The 031 was around a long time before the .043 gauge chain came into being. That chain is used with the ultra light homeowner and pole saws that use thin lightweight bars. Check the groove on your 031 bar. I suspect it will accomodate the .050 gauge chain. If so, the .043 chain and the bar itself will not give good or lengthly service.

The 031 was around a long time before the .043 gauge chain came into being. That chain is used with the ultra light homeowner and pole saws that use thin lightweight bars. Check the groove on your 031 bar. I suspect it will accomodate the .050 gauge chain. If so, the .043 chain and the bar itself will not give good or lengthly service.

:agree2: I have an 017 with3/8 .043 and that is pretty thin. I cant believe that would be on a bigger saw like the 031, but im not an expert. I put 034 together and had long conversation with dealer about 3/8 vs .325 and basically he said there wasnt enough difference in size to really matter today. I now have 3 sizes 3/8 .043,3/8picco and.325 on my saws:dizzy:

Another point I should have covered is the mismatch of .043 gauge chain with standard 3/8" pitch chain that your 031 was made for. The .043 gauge chain is a skinnyed-down variation on the pico micro (lo-profile) chain, which has a smaller drive link than standard 3/8" pitch chain. This mismatch will accelerate the wear on both the .043 chain's drive links and tie straps as well as the drive sprocket and nose sprocket on the saw. I am not aware of either a lo-profile style sprocket or a .043 gauge guide bar being available for the 031 saw.

I would like to thank all that have replied, I am thinking that if I mod the muffler it should not be an issue running the 3/8" chain. Now if I can find a piture of the muffler mod I should be set. Thanks again!

Here is a pic of a modified muffler. The older saws had three holes in the muffler, later ones only had one. Remove the screw, take out the screen wire, drill at least three holes of about the same size. You can take out more; but, this will get you an improvement. I drill the holes all the way through the muffler and then replace the screen and screw. Not very sexy but it works. In this particular muffler, I drilled an extra smaller hole too and it worked just fine. The experts on here will say make the total size of your holes any where from 85% to 105% of the engine exhaust . I stay on the conservative side to be safe.

I was reading the chain boxes that came with dads .031av stihl, I will check with a caliper the thickness of the drive links, I just may be that the boxes are wrong. Thanks for the heads up!

It was the boxes alright, I measured the drive links and they are .050" as they should be. I think that those boxes must of belonged to the 017 that I sold a few years ago. I will check the bar tomorrow but I am 90% sure it is .050" also. Thanks for the repiles and waking me up!

Thanks for the picture of the moded muffler, I will check to see if this saw had the adjustable high speed jet.

Last edited:
Back