Diesel Powered Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey coog

No I didn't try it on the pump first and here is why. First off I just don't like the thought of working my tractor pump that hard. Second remember that 11GPM is with the tractor at 540 PTO RPM which means your engine will be screaming at you the whole time. Oh yeh, how much reservoir does your tractor have, probably not enough for proper cooling under that much constant working load. And oh yeh, 11GPM ain't that much in my book. If you are going as far as to run that much motor to split wood might as well go fast! You can pudts arounds at 11GPM with any little Briggs. Mine unit is 6sec full cycle and that is regardless of how tough the wood is because its 1 stage pump. And if your going to power it with all the power you won't need any 2 stage. I will admit the 6secs is at 540 but at 1500 engine RPM ( where I normally run it) it is still way fast. Remember this too, unless the wood is stringy and nasty you will be working in a 4-6 inch range of motion of the ram. In that space its about 1 sec worth of movement. I figure I'm easily as fast as the Super Split if I am splitting straight grained wood. You say thats too fast.....pull back the throttle till its your comfort level.

As to the fumes from a diesel, you could use fry oil as some do in their diesel trucks. Smells just like McDonalds french fries. Some processing is involved but someone who does it might sell a few gallons for a splitter.

Ramsplitter

Real Nice! I like! I personally like the ones perpendicular to the tractor as they have. You would really have to watch closely to keep from backing into something with the other style. I notice they use the Prince pump too. If your tractor has a 1000rpm pto they have 40gpm pumps available. Other option for speed is to add a regen prince valve to your splitter. Between that and the pump man could one have awesome speed. Even with a big cylinder. I feel the 4" is plenty power for 98% of the wood. No it won't split everything you'll come across but why sacrifice speed for a few knarly pieces. And I mean damned few. If you put on the regen then a 5" would be no problem. I'm thinking of upgrading to a regen valve so I can split at tractor idle. Maybe possible that is too fast though, just possible. Just imagine a cylinder that moves as fast as the SS or faster yet with good power.

I have a diesel powered splitter. It runs off the pto of my yanmar tractor ;-) Set the tractor at idle and I haven't found anything the splitter can't split with ease. It's a home made unit with a cylinder from a garbage truck. It's just a vertical unit and is easily moved where you want it because it attaches to the three point hitch.

Keith

Real Nice! I like! I personally like the ones perpendicular to the tractor as they have. You would really have to watch closely to keep from backing into something with the other style. I notice they use the Prince pump too. If your tractor has a 1000rpm pto they have 40gpm pumps available. Other option for speed is to add a regen prince valve to your splitter. Between that and the pump man could one have awesome speed. Even with a big cylinder. I feel the 4" is plenty power for 98% of the wood. No it won't split everything you'll come across but why sacrifice speed for a few knarly pieces. And I mean damned few. If you put on the regen then a 5" would be no problem. I'm thinking of upgrading to a regen valve so I can split at tractor idle. Maybe possible that is too fast though, just possible. Just imagine a cylinder that moves as fast as the SS or faster yet with good power.

I liked the fact that it resembled your so closely.I don't think I'll use the vertical function much, but the perpendicular mount looks handier.Tell me more about the "regen" valve.I am stuck with 540 rpm, well at least with this tractor.

i built my own,it has a AC1 petter diesel, 16gpm pump, 5" cyl and a hyd boom that swings 360,with lifting tongs,to date theres nothing stalled it i've worked with oak so big, two guys can hardly roll them,which i usually saw in half with 090 then lift the halves. heck with log lifters,u still have to roll them to the splitter, i can pick up blocks several hundred pounds in a ten foot radius all around it. not set up for pics yet.

I liked the fact that it resembled your so closely.I don't think I'll use the vertical function much, but the perpendicular mount looks handier.Tell me more about the "regen" valve.I am stuck with 540 rpm, well at least with this tractor.
Here is a link http://www.cylinderservices.net/catalog.asp?prodid=601852 to some info on the valve. Imagine what it can do for a 21GPM pump! I think there is a real possibility of too much speed but the idea is too be fast with the engine just off idle.I to don't use the vertical feature much except for those crotches that if I saw them I'm sure to run into metal and dirt. I rarely split anything vertical but it is nice to have the option for the occasional situation. I usually just saw stuff down to pick up size.

I called cylinder services today and found out the regen valve is only rated for 3-4 gpm pumps and is targeted for the small electric splitters. They currently don't make a log splitter regen for 20+ gpm pumps, at least Prince does not. Darn anyway, if they did that would be fantastic.

i built my own,it has a AC1 petter diesel, 16gpm pump, 5" cyl and a hyd boom that swings 360,with lifting tongs,to date theres nothing stalled it i've worked with oak so big, two guys can hardly roll them,which i usually saw in half with 090 then lift the halves. heck with log lifters,u still have to roll them to the splitter, i can pick up blocks several hundred pounds in a ten foot radius all around it. not set up for pics yet.

Get a camera somehow and show us some pics of that AC1. Does the engine have variable speed or fixed?

I'll try,it has a fixed speed,it's like a generator,it needs one speed only,however you can adjust it with a wrench.

Latest posts

Back