Diff between inboard and outboard clutch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outboard also use rims, just takes longer to change.

I just found out that in the case of the Partner 7000 that is almost a moot point. You can stick a pin through the flywheel side housing to lock the flywheel then use your scrench to unscrew the clutch.

My the time you get done chasing the flying e clip on the inboard a few times it might be faster on the Partner outboard! :givebeer:

My the time you get done chasing the flying e clip on the inboard a few times it might be faster on the Partner outboard! :givebeer:

I've milled about 70 logs with my outboard clutched, 076 with no clutch cover and had the clutch come off twice. Hunting for the clutch in amongst the mountain of milling sawdust is no fun, let alone the left hand thread nut. First time took 10 minutes second time took half an hour.

The simplest solution with the flying e clip is to keep a couple on hand. It's probably because I bought a 10 pack of them that I have never had to use one.

Might be just me, but I've had nothing but troubles with outboard clutches on small saws, not clearing the chips fast enough and clogging the chain and sprocket...... both Stihl and Husky in both green and seasoned wood.

Anyone else had this experience?

That's the reason I'm staying away from the outboards.
My 2100 with outboard clutch is yet untried in bigish wood. Got my fingers crossed though.

b4b.

I've milled about 70 logs with my outboard clutched, 076 with no clutch cover and had the clutch come off twice. Hunting for the clutch in amongst the mountain of milling sawdust is no fun, let alone the left hand thread nut. First time took 10 minutes second time took half an hour.

The simplest solution with the flying e clip is to keep a couple on hand. It's probably because I bought a 10 pack of them that I have never had to use one.

lol hunting for needle bearings is worse, the LH clutch nut come off my Dolmar 143 I was on my knees with a strong magnet trying to find all of the rollers from the bearing :censored:

I have to agree on the flying clip. Screwdriver in one hand and a magnet in the other saves me a lot of cussing.

What limbing saws have the inboard clutch? I like the fact I can change the chain much easier on the inboard.

I hold my finger on the back of the c clip so when it pops off it can not go anywhere.

OUtboard clutch also puts the sporcket closer to the crankacase which takes some of the "Lever" load off the crank that the chain when cutting imposes..

Rick

I just found out that in the case of the Partner 7000 that is almost a moot point. You can stick a pin through the flywheel side housing to lock the flywheel then use your scrench to unscrew the clutch.

By the time you get done chasing the flying e clip on the inboard a few times it might be faster on the Partner outboard! :givebeer:

Good point, keeping spare e-clips is a must with inboard clutches! :)

From another thread;

The outboard clutch does have it's advantages. It helps keep the saws weight near the center mass of the saw. The closer you mount the chain to the crank bearing the less stress you put on the crank itself.

Another way to put it is that an outboard clutch makes a nimbler and better handling saw possible.

Personally I prefere outboards on 50cc class and smaller saws, and inboards on larger saws - but I am not a fanatic either way.

Last edited:
From another thread;

Another way to put it is that an outboard clutch makes a nimbler and better handling saw possible.

Personally I prefere outboards on 50cc class and smaller saws, and inboards on larger saws - but I am not a fanatic either way.

I prefer inboards, but take what I get. Opportunists can't be choosers

Inboard-Outboard???

I have not had any experience with any outboard clutches except the Husky 61,266,268,272 and the Jonsered 630. These are kind of the same but somewhat different. All the rest of my saws are inboard. That said, I don't seem to see where it is any more trouble to change rims or chains on the outboard type. You still have to break the crank nut free and remove the washers etc.
I can see how it would be more difficult to remove the powerhead from a stuck bar perhaps. Although I have never had to do this as I always have another saw handy to cut the stuck one out.
Also with outboard setup getting at your crank seal is much easier at least on the saws I have, as you don't have to disassemble the whole clutch it just comes off in one piece in your hand no pullers or springs to unload and reload or anything.
So I guess I'm the only one who thinks this way from all the other posts but be that as it may that's my $0.02 worth.:cheers:

P.S. Mark I didn't think you would be on the sidelines for long!!! Hope your shoulder is doing well. Happy Holidays!!

Last edited:
I have not had any experience with any outboard clutches except the Husky 61,266,268,272 and the Jonsered 630. These are kind of the same but somewhat different. All the rest of my saws are inboard. That said, I don't seem to see where it is any more trouble to change rims or chains on the outboard type. You still have to break the crank nut free and remove the washers etc.
I can see how it would be more difficult to remove the powerhead from a stuck bar perhaps. Although I have never had to do this as I always have another saw handy to cut the stuck one out.
Also with outboard setup getting at your crank seal is much easier at least on the saws I have, as you don't have to disassemble the whole clutch it just comes off in one piece in your hand no pullers or springs to unload and reload or anything.
So I guess I'm the only one who thinks this way from all the other posts but be that as it may that's my $0.02 worth.:cheers:

P.S. Mark I didn't think you would be on the sidelines for long!!! Hope your shoulder is doing well. Happy Holidays!!

I just replaced the oil pump line on one of my Dolmars that has an outboard clutch. Pull the clutch and there is the oil pump and oil lines.

If I need to that on the 372 or 365, then I can start by removing the chain brake. That's just a little time consuming.

No knocking either, just showing one difference between the two clutches.

Latest posts

Back