difference between 070 and 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
what is the difference between the 070 and 090, i notice they use a lot of the same parts. is there a way to tell the difference besides the label on top?

The 090 has a 6 shoe clutch, the 070 has 3 from what I'm told, plus the bore is different too. everything else is the same.

In addition to the clutch shoes the 090 has a 66 mm piston while the 070 and 090G had a smaller piston (58 mm) since they were just over 100 cc. I think the 090 was 137 cc. I don't know if the carbs were different.

The 090/070 used the same carbs, just set a little different to compensate for the difference in displacment. Tillotson HL-244A, HL-324A HL-327C, HL-331A will all fit the 090, or 070, the 090G has the HL244A only.

mackie said:
what is the difference between the 070 and 090, i notice they use a lot of the same parts. is there a way to tell the difference besides the label on top?

Well not to overstate the obvious but a simple difference is the 070 can still be found new from South America and the 090 is very rarely found new. The majority of the new 090's were sold 2 years ago. John was a leading seller and I belive he is out. Steve had one but I believe it is sold.

Bill

OH nine OH

Bill G said:
Well not to overstate the obvious but a simple difference is the 070 can still be found new from South America and the 090 is very rarely found new. The majority of the new 090's were sold 2 years ago. John was a leading seller and I belive he is out. Steve had one but I believe it is sold.

Bill

Bill,
Steve here... I had four and kept one... Anyway. The other differencebetween the two, is the 090 has a larger diameter starter and starter cover , than the 070. You can usually tell in a good side shot. The 090 cover has four vent grates from 12oclock to the starter handle. quick easy way to tell from a pic.
Steve

wow, you guys really know your stihls, this info is incredibly helpful, looks like mine is definately an 090. beautiful collection, steve.

Latest posts

Back