Dilema.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Dilema is that I Have just got a new home with wood land, there is a mix of aassh, oak and sycamore with some elm thrown in. anyway have about 3-4 years of clean up to do that will keep me in firewood. Question is. do i get a bigger saw( cash problem/wife issue) or go for a 24" bar for the 361 or would a 28" bar work?

could be looking at 26 to 30 plus, don't mind double cutting from each side, don't see me talking wife into new/other saw as work on the house takes priority. ..... would love a 460/441 can't see where the cash would come from

Tell your wife you will sell some of the firewood you cut to pay for your saw, preferrably a 441c or 461, and will probably have some leftover for her! That worked for me for hunting lease dues. My hunting lease buddies are to lazy to cut the downed trees from storms so it benefits me.

Cut several cords extra of the size that your current saw can handle easily. Sell this extra, use that money to fund a larger displacement saw. Look for a good used deal here on the tradin' post to save some coinage.

Cut several cords extra of the size that your current saw can handle easily. Sell this extra, use that money to fund a larger displacement saw. Look for a good used deal here on the tradin' post to save some coinage.
Badabing!

Zogger had thought about that, but can't see many of the USA based guys posting to the UK! have had a few lemons second hand/flee bay so thinking I would go new. What the 361 going to be like with a 24? like a 260 with 18" or worse?

could be looking at 26 to 30 plus, don't mind double cutting from each side, don't see me talking wife into new/other saw as work on the house takes priority. ..... would love a 460/441 can't see where the cash would come from

I get what the want here is. I have saws that I just "wanted" to use for my firewood but there are none that have come infront of my household budget. In all sincerity you have a great saw that will do what your "needs" are without cutting into your house budget. A 20" bar is perfect for that saw and will suffice.

24" with skip chain for the bigger stuff.keep the saw.;) If its green wood it'll cut easier than dry stuff.along the way sell a few loads.enough to pay for a bigger saw and 1/2 to buy the ol' lady something.;) You know like a chainsaw for herself.:D

I was in the same boat--I bought a MS290 with 20 inch bar for the big stuff and used either a Husky 435 (16") or Poulan Wal Mart special.

The Poulan and the Husky are just about done--seems they start fine but lose power after about 15 minutes.

Replaced the 435 with a MS211--maybe should have bought a MS251 but the price for the 211 was too good to pass.

And yes, sell some the wood that is just starting to decay/rot--it won't last for years like fresh cut wood to keep some income flowing. The 14" Poulan probably cut 10 cords alone. (99 dollars)

I would saw a 24 inch bar is about it for occasional use with your 60 cc saw. Most of the time an 18 or 20 should be perfect.

Latest posts

Back