dirt on the logs.don't want to dull the chain .. whats the best way to handle this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always keep an old chain for those dirty jobs, I usually replace a chain before I have to, so there's always a little life left in them for emergencies.. Dirty logs are a ball ache though, good luck

If I must cut dirty wood, I keep a loop of Stihl RM chain for each of my bars; just touch it up with the file more frequently, and usually swear a lot in the process.

i'll bump this.

i have a headache on hand. had 25 cord dropped off, 8footers, and holy my god, they must of been pushed around the lumber yard for whole summer everyday it rained.

inches thick of frozen mud. i tried wirewheeling them, and it just isn't cutting it. best i can do is 5-7 cuts and chainsaw throws dust and fuzz...after sharpening 4x to make 30 cuts, i gave up, and did a hatchet whack on every cut...but sooo time consuming.

the only feasible way is to have the mill truck them back and debark them, but we know that's not going to happen. they knew what they were getting rid of....

anyone tried using a pressure washer? i'd rather get an opinion before dragging the whole mess out in the cold.

keep the cleanest side to the foreword cutting side(front of you) while cutting! cutting from the top of the log as this will bring clean saw dust through the cut to remove any dirty material from the cut after!

keep the cleanest side to the foreword cutting side(front of you) while cutting! cutting from the top of the log as this will bring clean saw dust through the cut to remove any dirty material from the cut after!
There is no clean side. You cannot see bark, no where on the logs.

Don't drag them through the dirt...

I buck em where they fall, load the truck and take em home...

I'm with you. I've done clean ups where dozers pushed it all on piles and it was HORRIBLE. I never drag/skid anything and save loads on chains because of that. I realize some do not have a choice so if I was in that boat it would be a hatchet or a nice adze. adze will work well for you as it's facing the right way and sometimes it'll peel the bark.

I never could understand guys who skid on their own property or where they don't have a time frame to get the stuff out. I just ended up costing a lot more money for no real gain.

Mother hunted for a cheap firewood delivery, and she found one.

They delivered when I was gone, she doesn't pay attention. And now a headache.

Guess I'll squirt 3200psi on them...

if the dirt is only on one or 2 sides, cut thru as much of the log as you can without cutting any of the dirt. then roll the log so the dirt is on the top. then, using the TOP OF THE BAR cut in an upward direction. starting with the bar inside of the cut you already made. that will fling the dirt away from the log without dulling the chain.

Meh. I thought that too. I'll just watch the next delivery.

5mins to wash 7cuts all the way around, I've cut 30 logs , still razor sharp.

Power washer was the answer.

Back