Dirty Hand Tools splitter tank problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce56BB

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else having tank leakage problems? I have the 28ton model with a Kohler engine and love it, but I am on my second hydraulic tank and it has failed also.

i can see where the engine vibration could cause fatigue in the weldments- which could lead to leaks- in the op's picture that is an exceptionally poor vertical weld. additional i do not see any welding done on the bottom foot of the weldment extending under tank ( might have a weld on the inside corner). from personal experience welding on a tank like this can be a bit tricky- if not done just so you get weepers drives you nuts correcting them. top corner looks like a porosity hole perhaps that is the leaky point. I ain't no expert like some on the sight- manage to get by though.

I was wondering about these designs. I wonder if the design is stronger when the engine mount is higher and the gusset is in compression under the bracket.

I agree. And I assume I am the rare one who does tow it maybe 200 miles on gravel roads over the winter to cut and split, but that is what I purchased it for. Maybe no one else has had this problem, but this is my second tank leaking from the same spot.

If it like most it is not sitting on any type of spring suspension- towing would increase the likely hood of problems in that area. If the tank walls are thin then everything there in the picture would be flexing.

Like everything built to a price point. personally I was never a fan of axle stubs mounted to the tank

How much does it leak? If it’s more of a weep with the occasional drip then maybe it isn’t worth even worrying about. $186 buys a lot of hydraulic oil.

Or, just take it to a good welding shop & have them fix it. And maybe do some reinforcing while they're at it, somehow.

Honestly, they likely weren't designed to hold up to 200 miles of gravel road towing. That is a LOT of bouncing around.

Or, just take it to a good welding shop & have them fix it. And maybe do some reinforcing while they're at it, somehow.

Honestly, they likely weren't designed to hold up to 200 miles of gravel road towing. That is a LOT of bouncing around.

Well then dont put wheels under it.....

But I would take to weldin shop to fix.

Just cause they are a sponsor here, don't mean their product is the best, they do no wrong and or customer abuse.

Does the splitter have tail lights? What does it have for wheel bearings?

I have a cart for behind my ATV. It has wheels but pretty sure it's not designed for long road trips.

It does not have tail lights, but it is perfectly legal in Kansas to tow.

I cannot recall for sure on the wheel bearings. But, I think, it has sealed bearings just like my pop up camper.

Back