Discovery channel's "extreme logging"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm... just turned on the tv and saw the listing... tonight's episode is swamp logging

didn't a guy on here do a similar thread on it?

if i remember he got rained out
can't remember his name
he went to LSU i think

edit: did a little more research on the show

swamp logging 11/11
mule logging 11/18
helicopter logging 11/25

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/news/article.asp?docKey=600-200811110526KRTRIB__BUSNEWS_26787-3SQ85LJQ6IG6MGRTI3H9ONKNEI&params=timestamp||11/11/2008%205:26%20AM%20ET||headline||BRIEF%3A%20%27Extreme%20Loggers%2C%27%20filmed%20near%20Stedman%2C%20to%20air%20[The%20Fayetteville%20Observer%2C%20N.C.]||docSource||Knight%20Ridder/Tribune||provider||ACQUIREMEDIA

Last edited:
I don't have TV so of course I won't be watching this. I will be depending on you guys for a description of what goes on. Hopefully this show will be more of a documentary type rather than a 'docu-drama' like that extreme jobs show was.:censored:

My son and I watched EL tonight. It wasn't bad, I think it was nareted by the guy from "Gangland". I kept waiting to see some guy talk with his face scrambled.

It was over dramatic but that is what sells. If the show took place in Collyfornia there would be more protesters tha loggers. When the oil hit the ground the county would be writing thousands of dollars in fines before anyone could even grab the spill kit.

I won't get to see the show on mule logging next Friday, darn it all.

Good show. Boss is extremely fond of his 750 dozer. The manufacture's name was blurred out; guess JD wouldn't come up with money or permission.
The boss gave a nice overview, of how they cut and built the road, with sticks stuck in the ground. Good thing about the writing was you didn't hear that someone was inches from death every other line. One of their machines broke a track and they showed the crew repairing it. Boss's son admitted it broke because they were trying to run it longer than they should have but money is tight. Boss ran one of the skidders, when the operator had a court date, and the crew had a good time with the rookie operator. He was getting bounced around pretty good; you get rusty in a hurry and he hadn't been on a skidder in a couple of years. Overall a good show about a very specialized type of logging.

Not bad at all. Seeing the equipment and techniques used to log in a mud pit was educational. That the mills would accept logs that had been used to corduroy a road through a bog was a surprise. I had been wondering what they would do with the 'road trees' when they were done.

Watching them extract those machines when they were stuck was "interesting" as was the 'stump toss' at the end.

Harry K

The fact that they didn't say anything about BMP's or anything environmental related was a real short coming. Showing the oil leak all over the mud and didn't even mention or show them cleaning it up. Showed ruts and soil damage that many find disgusting. Looks like good ammunition for tree huggers to use.

The fact that they didn't say anything about BMP's or anything environmental related was a real short coming. Showing the oil leak all over the mud and didn't even mention or show them cleaning it up. Showed ruts and soil damage that many find disgusting. Looks like good ammunition for tree huggers to use.

Yeah. I guess cleanup isn't too exciting.

Yeah. I guess cleanup isn't too exciting.

But they should at least mention it. I'm guessing that crew didn't clean anything up, but they should have at least done it this once to make logging look better in peoples eyes.

If somebody were to watch that and see oil all over seeping into the ground they immediately get a bad image in their mind of "logging" and "loggers".

But they should at least mention it. I'm guessing that crew didn't clean anything up, but they should have at least done it this once to make logging look better in peoples eyes.

If somebody were to watch that and see oil all over seeping into the ground they immediately get a bad image in their mind of "logging" and "loggers".

Yep.

forestryworks,
its kkottemann. Yea i do a bit of logging in the swamp (bottomland hardwoods). Always getting rained out. sitting at home now because of rain! I watched a little of show, it looked good. I did not catch where they were, somewhere in the south i'll bet. I guess every state has what it classifies as a swamp. That looked like a bog of some sort. I work in the Atchafalaya basin which covers the entire south central portion of louisiana. I got forestry degree from LSU. Owner of kottemann tree & timber services. I do not have a full time logging crew, but buy timber and do have contracts to do tree work for the state office of forestry and one timber company. About once a month I get contracted by a logging contractor to fell large trees on harvest sites which are too big for the fellerbunchers. We call it bottomland hardwood not a swamp. when to going gets rough down here we use tracked loaders and pre-haulers. a few contractors have the tracked skidders, in my opinion thats the way to go, but it is slow and not very productive. We have a contracter down here that can move 40 loads a day. he has 4 tracked cutters, 8 skidders (2 tracked), 3 tracked loaders, 2 pre-haulers, 2 dozers, 2 road graders, and 17 trucks. we need to set this guy up on at least 500 acres and get the hell out of his way! they all speak cajun french. anyway, looking forward to the mule logging.

I want too see next weeks episode on Donkey logging. The guy I went firewooding with for the last 10yrs worked in the woods with draft horses in the pre skidder days. He told me allot of stories about it and the log drives down the local river here that ended in about 1970.

i know people who still log now with horses and can keep up well with skidders, obviously they cant pull the same ammount at a time but they produce enough wood to keep themselves fed at the end of the day.

Swamp logging was interesting. The show is toned down and not as synthetically sensasionalized as Ax Men was, which is good. No showing off and doing stupid stuff for the camera. It was all work and no BS. Considering the problems with the mill, the cat track failing and the skidders er, skidding, one would have to say they did a good job with what they had to break even. They also seemed dumb from their Cajun English at first but after seeing them work the way they do, they are no dummies.

Amusing too, I have never seen that kind of logging before. Here its mostly cable yarding on steep slopes, and some mechanical harvesting on flat areas. Here we also harvest a few species, and mostly doug fir. Some hemlock and some cedar and some pine, but mainly doug. They had a lot of mixed species and they had to sort and cut them and load them accordingly.

Ax Men has a new series coming out this year as well. I presume that it will be more of the same though. Yahoos with jury-rigged equipment and faked up competition between teams that have little or nothing to do with each other. And some weird logging tricks that I have never seen done here. Actually all the logging jobs that I have seen done here were all pretty slick (pun intended) with few problems. Trees cut in sections, yarding cables laid out, yarders set up, logs dragged to the decks, stacked, and loaded onto trucks and hauled off to the mills. But that would be too boring for a show like Ax men.

If you ever follow a shovel, processor, or a buncher (even lower hours), you'll find an oil spill, I gurantee it!

Back