Discussion groups, censorship, and stuff in general

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Walsh

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I post on several discussion groups now, not as many as I used to, but I still do post. I post less now, in part because of my positions within the profession. I am sensitive to the potential for my views being perceived as being that of the one of the associations that I belong to/work for. That is why now I usually only write on issues relating to safety, especially those relating directly to the ANSI Z133.1 -2000.

There are discussion groups that I stay away from now because, in part, of censorship issues and the way in which “unpopular” threads were dealt with. I have seen my posts deleted; I have seen entire boards and archives ‘wiped out.’ I have received personal attacks by administrators, moderators and other participants because I had views that they didn’t understand or didn’t agree with.

I just don’t visit or post on sites that don’t treat themselves, or others with respect. The boards are an opportunity for all of us to exchange our views, ideas, opinions, stories, pictures, etc. A discussion group is only as good as its participants, moderators and host, in that order.

If you don’t want to be censored, don’t post comments that are not in line with the board. If you don’t want to be criticized for censorship, make sure everyone knows what will be allowed and what will not. The more effort place on banning books, the more people wanted to read them.

Just my thoughts.

TMW

Originally posted by Tim Walsh
I post on several discussion groups now, not as many as I used to, but I still do post. I post less now, in part because of my positions within the profession. I am sensitive to the potential for my views being perceived as being that of the one of the associations that I belong to/work for. That is why now I usually only write on issues relating to safety, especially those relating directly to the ANSI Z133.1 -2000.

This is understandable. I've found not to expect much from the professions leadership at these news groups. I see this in part because of what is being stated. I know I would like to get my ideas critiqued by the people who are at the center of the profession. The I.S.A. discussion groups was good for criticisms. I straightened myself out about a few things by posting there.

There are discussion groups that I stay away from now because, in part, of censorship issues and the way in which “unpopular” threads were dealt with. I have seen my posts deleted; I have seen entire boards and archives ‘wiped out.’ I have received personal attacks by administrators, moderators and other participants because I had views that they didn’t understand or didn’t agree with.

Boy I hate when this happens. I visit some other news groups (non-arborist) where the people there can get absolutely brutal. I learned some netiquette by visiting these places. I also had the experience of seeing sincere and helpful responses by the participants. It's inspiring to say the least.

I just don’t visit or post on sites that don’t treat themselves, or others with respect. The boards are an opportunity for all of us to exchange our views, ideas, opinions, stories, pictures, etc. A discussion group is only as good as its participants, moderators and host, in that order.

When I visit the non-arborist related forums, I found a wide difference and level
of knowledge of the different personalities. I eventually learned who I could depend on for getting good information and who to avoid at all costs.

If you don’t want to be censored, don’t post comments that are not in line with the board. If you don’t want to be criticized for censorship, make sure everyone knows what will be allowed and what will not. The more effort place on banning books, the more people wanted to read them.

Just my thoughts.

TMW

Censorship is everywhere. I had the misfortune of screening through some absolutely tasteless, mindless, inconsiderate posts by people who lie to mislead others and live only to be abusive. Complaints about the abusive nature of these people were handled by censors who actually kicked them off the newsgroups and deleted their posts. These people wrote very bad stuff. The liars still exist and call what they write an alternative to convention even with empirical data proving their hypotheses are wrong.

Books aren't being banned here, some of the chatting in the forums is being banned. So far there is "some" safety posting here. Anybody who believes newsgroups are safe need some waking up.

This place is still in line.

Joe

Latest posts

Back