dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any one consider a small NOS system on one? Might be fun to see what gets through the wood first, the head or the chain :chainsaw:

Do you have more starter rope? :laugh:

Edit: I wish I had some extra Christmas dollars to buy a few more of these. :cry:
Oh yea, I got a couple partial spools of outboard starter rope left that will work well. I just tried to order more of the 45's and they are out of stock again.

I'm new here.

I just ordered a 45cc my self.

And I did just check it looks kike the 41 is out but the 45 is in stock.

I'm gonna run it and then muffler mod it. Heck if I decide I don't like it I can sell it on CL and be out maybe $20.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh I don't have my profile filled our as I'm on my phone using taoatalk and not on the real site. But I too have CAD and just could not resist a $48 like new saw!!

Just so u know I have a few other saws.
Stihls
Ms390
Ms650

Husky
372xp
372xp (parts saw or project)

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Can someone post a link to these >50$ "Earthquake" saws please... 129 pages is a lot to scroll through..Lol.

I would like a cheap saw to leave at my dad's cottage so the locals don't steal my stihls..

One of my 45's after running five tanks of 32:1 through it today cutting, 218 PSI. No engine mods aside from just a carb tune and down and dirty muffler mod.

Quake25_zpsd3748c41.jpg

Wow that's a lot of squeeze . No wonder they sound so good with a gutted muffler. I'll have to throw the gauge on mine now.

Looks like Steve has three of the base plates ready to weld up. Where's the rest of it? :)

I'm second guessing my 1/2 x 1 rect tubing being big enough. (ID is .375x.875) I'm thinking of some roll your own formed and welded rect tubing, as 3/4x1 1/4 is RARE, and 1 1/2" wide won't fit between the screws. Option B might be pounding some round into shape, we'll see.

I'm second guessing my 1/2 x 1 rect tubing being big enough. (ID is .375x.875) I'm thinking of some roll your own formed and welded rect tubing, as 3/4x1 1/4 is RARE, and 1 1/2" wide won't fit between the screws. Option B might be pounding some round into shape, we'll see.
Let me know if you cant find the pipe you're looking for. I've got tons of short sample size of pipe at work. Stainless, mild steel, even some titanium.

That's kinda sorta amazing n' stuff.
Since the first one showed up I've acquired some spares. Like a lifetime supply of the things, I really like the design of the saw and they're easy on an old man to cut with. The very first pull on the usual suspect that showed up I was worried something's got to binding up in the starter or something?

Took pulling on a few different Quakes to get accustomed to higher compression than I'm used to running on those orange saws all these years. None of them come even close to these numbers.

I have no idea why they have such good compression, they really seem to like 32:1 mix for break in. I ran another one today that I hadn't had a chance to cut with and it's blowing 210 after it's first tank of fuel. I sure wouldn't be inclined to bother with removing the base gaskets or playing with the squish on these. I find that the higher compression requires more fattening out in the cut to get a good tune, they will lose power pretty quick if at all lean.

Now I'm wondering what the squish looks like on these things? They have to be close to grenading the piston at the top of the stroke to get these numbers.

I doubt a guy could get away with running 87 in one of these saws with that kind of compression. Id think it would burn the strap off or burn up the piston pretty quick.

I doubt a guy could get away with running 87 in one of these saws with that kind of compression. Id think it would burn the strap off or burn up the piston pretty quick.

I agree, I use 93 pump gas and Lucas semi-synthetic @32:1 for these saws. 87 octane with a 50:1 mix would be a fireworks show in short order, I don't care what the mixing label says to make the EPA happy.

Can any of you guy's give a power comparison of the 45cc quake, to a different saw of the same or close CC saw. Dang it Im about to buy one thanks to you guys

Latest posts

Back