dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both the 41 and 45 were seriously fat (rich) as delivered. We didnt fool with either saw much prior to preforming surgery on the mufflers. They were both still very much rich after the muffler mods. Our carburetor "tool" is a 6" piece of 1/4" copper tubing which we tapped onto the needle head to create a slight broach. Both the 41 and 45 were leaned up over 1/2 turn.

I ordered one of the Ebay dual port muffs and will post about it when I get it.
Got my Single-D carb tool in the mail yesterday. Saw runs better, but still not where I think it should run.
IMG_1313_zpse9d3f5b3.jpg

I removed the muffler and made another hole in it.
IMG_1310_zpscea326fe.jpg

Then I put two holes in the strange shield that bolts to the front.
IMG_1311_zps59d7833d.jpg

Made more carb adjustments and NOW I like it. Starting to run more like my 025. I'll go back now and braze the shield to the muffler.

So I'm patiently waiting on Butch's response to the dual-port ebay muffler. At minimum, the stock muffler needs to be gutted and another port added.

Got my Single-D carb tool in the mail yesterday. Saw runs better, but still not where I think it should run.
IMG_1313_zpse9d3f5b3.jpg

IMG_1310_zpscea326fe.jpg

IMG_1311_zps59d7833d.jpg

Made more carb adjustments and NOW I like it. Starting to run more like my 025. I'll go back now and braze the shield to the muffler.

So I'm patiently waiting on Butch's response to the dual-port ebay muffler. At minimum, the stock muffler needs to be gutted and another port added.
That's exactly what I did here.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387738444.080429.jpg

Just a quick note: took the 38cc to the woodpile this morn. As shipped it started easy enough (3 pulls). Was a little slow to rev. Broke out the carb tool, and gave it a quick tweak. Ended up about 1/4 turn from the starting point on the high side. And almost exactly where it was on the low. Have to see how she cold starts tonight or tomorrow, but its 4-stroking out of the cut and cleans up in the cut. No muff mod just yet. Thought I'd make sure it would run as is

First impression, man its a cheesy Lil fisher price chainsaw. But in my case, that's exactly what I wanted. Something I can leave in the truck and not worry about. In my summer time grass gigs a little saw for branches is a prerequisite. No sense hauling around the 026 for the occasional branch.

I'd like to paint it pink and call it sparkles, but that's been done. Maybe pull the earthquake stickers and go with a Hello Kitty theme? Something so that nobody else will want it more than me.

Last edited:
The site does not list any "as is" saws anymore.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Look a few pages back. He posted one. Its run head to head with 3 other saws. Shows right out of box performance . The mods cut tome in half.

Oh sorry I see post. There is one not sure if he's posted it here yet?

Mike, any chance of a vid of the 45cc quake post muff mod? Love to see how that wakes one up. I haven't bought a 45cc as I have 45-50cc covered. But if another $50 45cc comes along, I think I'll bite.
Here you go
Stock -- 54 sec.
.325 RS chain -- 36
.325 + muffler mod -- 26

Last edited:
IMG_1313_zpse9d3f5b3.jpg

IMG_1310_zpscea326fe.jpg

IMG_1311_zps59d7833d.jpg

My dual port off the Bay will be here Tues. I asked if it had a Cat as well. The response , if it had one, to return for a full refund. So I will report my findings then.

I think I may get that DP muffler as well and hack on it a bit.

My 45 has a double D screw adjustment?? Well at least one have not looked the other.

My 38cc has a double D and the 45 has a single D and is off the scale rich so I gotta make a D or buy one.
This is the Walbro carb off a 45cc Quake. It might take 5 minutes to remove it, cut the slot with a dremel and replace it. The D's, pac-man's etc. are worthless out in the woods cutting when you need to adjust the carb. I mean I've lost more than a few small straight bladed screw drivers working out of my saw box over the years, why mess with losing one of those overpriced EPA gadgets?

Just cut right through the soft aluminum shroud with a thin dremel wheel and cut a slot on each screw, piece of cake.
Quake16_zps16fc3817.jpg

First impression, man its a cheesy Lil fisher price chainsaw.
You're not the first to have that impression, but mine was just the opposite. Maybe it's what you're used to? It's the same chassis as my GZ4000s, with two springs and two rubber bumpers. It allows a fair amount of movement but is not weak. The plastic parts need some trimming of excess flashing, but the parts are sturdy. The saw is also pretty light.

This is the Walbro carb off a 45cc Quake. It might take 5 minutes to remove it, cut the slot with a dremel and replace it. The D's, pac-man's etc. are worthless out in the woods cutting when you need to adjust the carb. I mean I've lost more than a few small straight bladed screw drivers working out of my saw box over the years, why mess with losing one of those overpriced EPA gadgets?

Just cut right through the soft aluminum shroud with a thin dremel wheel and cut a slot on each screw, piece of cake.
Quake16_zps16fc3817.jpg
Other than the risk of losing the tools, I like the "special" tools for adjusting a carb much better than a flat blade. They stay centered and don't slip off. The single D tool for the quake was easy to make.

You're not the first to have that impression, but mine was just the opposite. Maybe it's what you're used to? It's the same chassis as my GZ4000s, with two springs and two rubber bumpers. It allows a fair amount of movement but is not weak. The plastic parts need some trimming of excess flashing, but the parts are sturdy. The saw is also pretty light.

I don't mean to diminish the worth of the Quakes. My first impression was based more on its look and feel. From a utilitarian perspective it seems like a decent design, the AV seems pretty good from the 15 minutes or so I've used it so far. It handles good, light weight.

Other than the risk of losing the tools, I like the "special" tools for adjusting a carb much better than a flat blade. They stay centered and don't slip off. The single D tool for the quake was easy to make.

For whatever reason my cs3814 required a double D carb tool. In a touch of irony, I think I paid about the same for a set of 4 carb tools about a year ago as I paid for the whole saw. I got tired of questioning wether or not home brew tools were slipping while trying to adjust a carb. For instance the butt splice connector pushed onto the splined type adjuster. It works, but never inspired much confidence. Cutting a slot works ok, but again, sometimes it would slip, or just not "feel positive". I gotta say, the actual carb tools (cheesy as they are) work fantastic. They fit the adjusters as intended, allowing you to stick it on the adjuster and run the saw in the cut really allowing a nice feel and tune. Far more confidence inspiring than trying to fumble with a hand cut slot & straight screwdriver.

Oh I agree, with the shoulder around the screws it makes it easier to hang that tool on the adjuster and run the saw etc. The problem is keeping track of the darn things for what they cost. If I had the ability to manufacture those things and sell 'em on the cheap (like $2.50 each cheap) I think there's no shortage of buyer's.

Back