dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh by the way, should I get a new exhaust gasket? it seems to be leaking, you can see it on this picture:

chinksawexhaust.jpg

The exhaust is properly seated and torqued, can't be other than a poor gasket or poor surface mating right? That's about a year's worth of gunk piled up behind the exhaust.

Are these 38cc ones a copy of the redmax 3800? Non-strato saw.

They certainly seem to be identical with the exception of the strato vs. non strato. I have the Ryobi 40 cc with the Zenoah engine and strato intake. That is a beast of a little saw. This 38 cc Quake appears to be identical and I've even swapped parts on them to check it out. The engine casting on the Quake is not as nice as the Zenoah, but seems fine where it matters. Fit and finish on the plastic on my Quakes is also acceptable. I have no complaints on the ones I've had so far and if you're going for cuts for your dollar, the little saw is a winner.

Would I use it every day? So far my answer is yes, but let me get a few tanks through it to see how it holds up. It seems like a great little saw for the money.

Intake from factory:

100_1286_zps804d112c.jpg

Intake after mild porting:

100_1293_zps5a0b2942.jpg

You can see I didn't take much material at all from the intake port. I removed more from the exhaust which was really tiny. I tried to keep the height of each port very close to factory so as not to change the timing. I may get a little more radical on the next one and advance the timing a little bit as well. I want to run this one a while and see how it does before I get carried away.

dd

:msp_smile
Intake from factory:

100_1286_zps804d112c.jpg

Intake after mild porting:

100_1293_zps5a0b2942.jpg

You can see I didn't take much material at all from the intake port. I removed more from the exhaust which was really tiny. I tried to keep the height of each port very close to factory so as not to change the timing. I may get a little more radical on the next one and advance the timing a little bit as well. I want to run this one a while and see how it does before I get carried away.

dd
I went alittle wider on mine can't wait to try it out.:msp_smile:
4111a2ef6ad15f0c7fff781b95310df2.jpg
:msp_smile:

My 38cc made by the same company, just with a different colour scheme and brand-name also has the carb vent window, the only way I've been able to change it around was when I took the top cover off, that's when you can take it off and turn it around. I couldn't find any info about it on the manual, but it's functionality is very clear.

I assume you could pop it out if you remove the air filter cover and push it out with a screwdriver, assuming you've got access on yours (it seems the plastic finish on these isn't quite equal on each saw... So they're unique, art?)

As for oil leaks, they have an oil filter right at the oil pickup line by the tank, underneath... and this is where they often leak, also there's no vacuum release valve for the oil tank but there is an open hose for it, I had to zip-tie it into place so it wouldn't fall out and start leaking during horizontal cuts.

The way the oil pickup and filter fit into place makes it very prone to leaks, in fact with the vibrations the cup popped out on mine and it took an angry oily piss all over the place.

Nothing some silicone and heat-shrink tubing couldn't fix though, it just meant having to take it all apart.

Here's a pic of the silicone after being applied, I levelled it out afterwards. Not the prettiest, but it hasn't leaked ever since (aside from a few drops from the bar, which is common)

chinksawf26.jpg

Mine came with a worn out worm drive from the oiler and the aforementioned vacuum line from the oil tank was popped off and capped with a screw (?) -- Didn't take much to bring it back to life. Came with a real Walbro carb also!

For the money, can't complain at all... in fact it keeps impressing me. It has however crapped out a few times after heavy-ish use -- wouldn't start again until cold... loss of compression due to the expansion I guess? the rings don't seem stuck though...

Thanks for posting that, I can see that elbow on mine and I kinda suspect that's where it's leaking.

Mine hasn't leaked ever since (it would originally waste a full tank worth of bar oil within a day of just sitting on the shelf before it finally got disconnected and had to keep on pushing it back in) - I figured I was going to be spending more on oil than the chainsaw was worth if I didn't do something about it!

Let's hope it's just that simple on yours as well.

Haven't ported mine yet, I got an even cheaper engine to try that on but it turns out it's got a scored cylinder...

FYI, the $35 doesn't include free shipping, which is more than the one for $45 and free shipping.

Part of me wants to get one still though, as long as it was in the condition mine was in.

Tried for the 14" one, but lost it even though I had bid the same mount as the winning bid. How does that work by the way?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

FYI, the $35 doesn't include free shipping, which is more than the one for $45 and free shipping.

Part of me wants to get one still though, as long as it was in the condition mine was in.

Tried for the 14" one, but lost it even though I had bid the same mount as the winning bid. How does that work by the way?

If two people bid the same amount by the time the auction ends it goes to the bidder who bid first.

Ahhh, me see.

Guess I shoulda bumped it up another fiddy. Would have had I known he was gonna start selling them for $45.

How will you measure the difference between stock and modded? got two of them?, timing the cuts?

How will you measure the difference between stock and modded? got two of them?, timing the cuts?

I have 2 and counting in the 38 cc size. I will try to post some times later. I timed it before the mods but haven't had a chance to get the carburetor dialed in where I like it since the mods. I have a couple in the 40/41 cc size as well.

dd

lol and much cheaper on the spares -- you just buy another one for parts. I've paid more for a piston kit than this whole saw is worth... amazing isn't it.

Walbro carb?

If I read correctly, Gush mentioned it having a walbro carb, others have said its adjustable. Any model #s? I've spent more than $40 on a carb. With a b&c you'd be ahead of the game.

Another auction round

I just ordered another at $40 prepaid shipping for one of my kids.

He just put that choice back up and also started a new batch of saws for auction starting at $20

I haven't received the first 2 yet (maybe tomorrow or Monday) and have 2 more coming that just shipped today. Hope to get 2 runners, a play toy and a parts saw

Ed

And thanks to all of you who are working up the mods.

Back