dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a wonderful day!

I didn't get to use the Quake today though, but it did get to go for a ride this evening in the cab of the truck.

IMG_0385_zps97fd03fa.jpg

This was just a little snow compared to what hit here during Sandy. Can see what it did to the timber.. :(

IMG_0386_zps8edf4d44.jpg

At the bottom of the trail where we were cutting last weekend.

IMG_0388_zps79ae9660.jpg

However, if the weather forecast holds true for this upcoming week, all the saws could be seeing some action.... :msp_ohmy:

128 pages. Unbelievable.

All things considered, the $35 I spent on the first Quake is responsible for me learning more about saws (dollar for dollar) than any other saw purchase I've made. Starting with an inexpensive, running saw and then modding it has been loads of fun and helped me get acquainted with some great folks here.

I've worked on and modified the cheap Poulans and Homelites, but a clam shell really limits the possibilities. I've had professional saws to work on, but they're worth too much to get radical and risk destroying the saw. This little piece of import saw has been the perfect combination of low cost and pro-style construction to let me try some of the things I've always been a little skittish about.

My thanks to 08 for starting the thread, to WoodHeatWarrior for communicating with me directly on several mods, and to everyone here who posted ideas about muffler mods, painting, porting, timing, setting squish, chain upgrades, on and on and on. This place is great. I love the little Quake and still have three more to play with after I blow up this one.

128 pages. Unbelievable.

All things considered, the $35 I spent on the first Quake is responsible for me learning more about saws (dollar for dollar) than any other saw purchase I've made. Starting with an inexpensive, running saw and then modding it has been loads of fun and helped me get acquainted with some great folks here.

I've worked on and modified the cheap Poulans and Homelites, but a clam shell really limits the possibilities. I've had professional saws to work on, but they're worth too much to get radical and risk destroying the saw. This little piece of import saw has been the perfect combination of low cost and pro-style construction to let me try some of the things I've always been a little skittish about.

My thanks to 08 for starting the thread, to WoodHeatWarrior for communicating with me directly on several mods, and to everyone here who posted ideas about muffler mods, painting, porting, timing, setting squish, chain upgrades, on and on and on. This place is great. I love the little Quake and still have three more to play with after I blow up this one.

Yes this is one of the best things 08 has done. :clap:

there was a thread on an efco saw a while back, I think it had 400 tanks of fuel thru it. I wonder how many these quakes will use before melting down....:confused: the efco was rather impressive, I have a 152 and a 156...I won't live long enough to wear them out.
It will probably vary quite a bit. I expect mine will last quite a while - setting the appearance of some castings aside I see nothing wrong with it, the cylinder seems to be wearing well and the parts all fit well. The plastic had some flashing that needed to be trimmed but the parts are strong and not deformed. And it is a very nice saw to use, it feels good - light and well balanced. My otherwise identical chassis Mac will get more use only because it is strato.

yep,, these little saws are a blast and its been fun thats for sure,,, maybe we can hit 30 pages:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I am old, I don't know about strato....but you are right the little quake feels good......I think I over did the muf mod I am going to do something a little more conservative on my next one....keep the cat in the the loop.

A stratified charge introduces air in the cylinder to push the exhaust out. That's the reason for 2 throttle valves in the carb. One is for air only the other is for fuel/air mix. There is a cutout in the piston that allows air to enter into the transfer points at the same time air/fuel is entering into the crankcase and the air enters the combustion chamber first to push the exhaust out. The result is less fuel exiting the exhaust which equals less hydrocarbons which equals less emissions.

The above is an explanation given by icelation8, which is pretty accurate. It was done to lessen emissions and also made a little more power in the process.

Why is this thread on page 3?

when did the whole strato thing start

Someone smarter than me will have to answer that one. I've seen the strato Poulans for 4 or 5 years, and those were already used when I got them.

I don't know who started it, but RedMax certainly did some innovation with it when their saws made the change over. They seemed to look at it as a way to develop a more fuel-efficient and more powerful engine as opposed to one that just made less exhaust fumes.

i just checked and the ones on fleabay are going for 90+,, guess i won't have another one again for a while:bang::bang:

When using the Quake this weekend......the annoying problem we had was "accidentally" killing the saw when our thumb hit the "on / off" switch. It happened with different users through out the day. Quake users beware...

Who started it

Link to Redmax

Chain Saws | RedMax

Link from this site on strato charged engines

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/65949.htm

And from Wiki which is mostly about 4 stroke fuel injection

Stratified charge engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ed

Someone smarter than me will have to answer that one. I've seen the strato Poulans for 4 or 5 years, and those were already used when I got them.

I don't know who started it, but RedMax certainly did some innovation with it when their saws made the change over. They seemed to look at it as a way to develop a more fuel-efficient and more powerful engine as opposed to one that just made less exhaust fumes.

didn't brian say lets make a deal to you a few pages ago scott? you could have already had another quake. i tell you. my little quake is really fun to run. for now i am running it extremely hard to see how long it lasts but i'm thinking mods are going to happen when i get time.

didn't brian say lets make a deal to you a few pages ago scott? you could have already had another quake. i tell you. my little quake is really fun to run. for now i am running it extremely hard to see how long it lasts but i'm thinking mods are going to happen when i get time.

dang it,, guess i need to do some back reading,, i run the crap out of the last one i had to try to blow it up and it still ran good

dang it,, guess i need to do some back reading,, i run the crap out of the last one i had to try to blow it up and it still ran good

i was thinking just for sh@#'s and giggles i'm gonna mount the little earthquake in the mini mill and really run it hard on a couple small logs. that will certainly be a test ;)

Latest posts

Back