dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man this has to be the longest thread for the quake saws ive seen and i have not had much luck with the quake saws cs4518 cant seem to keep it together longer then about 6 hours of run time then something breaks.
how has yours been??

I looked at the quakes on ebay and there 150.00 bucks. Where did you all find them so cheap. I want to purchase one for my neighbor that burns wood and always borrows my saw to cut it. Kind of like a late Christmas present to him.

Jason Smoot said:
I want to purchase one for my neighbor that burns wood and always borrows my saw to cut it. Kind of like a late Christmas present to him.
Nice, and after two hours of business, he still comes back to you to borrow a saw ...

Yeah. He's down on his luck. I would like to help him out. I can't find them that Cheap
They were clearing out a pile of returned or overstocked saws cheap, but that appears to have run its course. You would be better off getting him a US made Poulan (one with A/V), as they are more common, have better parts availabilty and of higher quality construction. The Earthquakes are fun, but best left for saw enthusiasts who want to play.

Oké, respect !

Compared to my 335XPT (1,6 kW) the 38cc Earthquake (1,2 kW) is not very powerful.
It seems daunting to fell a tree with this saw.

But as you say, with proper adjustment and especially not overload the saw
he can go on for quite a while...

postscript. At the time the photo was taken, there was not a larger saw behind your back ???

It is a long cold winter here. single digits and below. Wind has been blowing like crazy. I don't even want to go outside. Can't keep the drive clear. Might as well port a saw. Let me know what you are up to. Timing numbers and such. The ports all look small to me. I am thinking the ports need to be a little larger and more angle towards the intake side of the cylinder to help with scavenging. I will probably decrease the size of my muffler opening to give it a little back preasure.
I've gone though about 3 stages of mods and the information is somewhere buried in this thread, but it's near impossible to find by now. When/if I do more mods I will make a separate thread to document it. The timing I'm at now is:
Port Timing Earthquake 38cc Ported-3a.PNG

The base has been turned and the squish is about 0.020", and the spark timing is advanced (I think by about 6deg). It runs well but just doesn't have the snap I wanted. I think some of the problem is here, where I removed too much material from the lower transfers and lost too much case volume:
IMG_6090-800.jpg

I think there is too much case compression angle, which makes up for having increased the case volume but may be too much. I cannot replace the material I removed, and it doesn't really look that extreme (although it is only 38cc), so I am considering increasing the intake duration to 170deg. I don't think I want to increase the exhaust duration.

I would also flatten the lower edge of the intake port. I left it pretty rounded:

IMG_5849-800.jpg

I'm still mulling it over. It's 10deg in the barn at the moment so I won't be doing any grinding just yet!

May just be my goofy eyeballs, But Do I see two different jugs?
The one looking into the intake, looks like a two transfer instead the 4 trans in the uper pics.

But then I do have nasty headache rt now. Just one of the joys of steroids shot into the knees on Fri

May just be my goofy eyeballs, But Do I see two different jugs?
The one looking into the intake, looks like a two transfer instead the 4 trans in the uper pics.

But then I do have nasty headache rt now. Just one of the joys of steroids shot into the knees on Fri
Yeah, as Stephen said it's just a close up.

Hope you feel better!

I probably forgot to mention that this stuff trys keeps me awake for a couple days also.
they help the pain, but its a bot ofa b***h what wit the side orders that comes with em!
It's related to the bi-polar thing

edit: oh and i can finaly see the radius, matching the cylinder boer
on the left side of the pic and also make my brain cells see the offset in hights.
from the spigot.

Thank you Brian! We really do appreciate it and just like to get our customers a working product.

Thank You,

Kyle

Customer Service

www.ardisam.com

Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 12:09 PM
To: Kyle
Subject: Re: I need a bar tensioning pin

I just told guys on my chainsaw forum how excellent Ardisam's customer service is! Thanks

On Jan 12, 2015, at 6:21 AM, "Kylewrote:

Hi Brian,

If you can provide me a mailing address I can get one of those coming out to you at no charge I do have one here.

Thank You,

Kyle

Customer Service

www.ardisam.com

Its the primer, they use the tears of chinese children to prime the bars for paint application.

I JUST WISH I HAD BOUGHT TWO MORE THAN THE TWO I BOUGHT, best bargains in my 40 yrs.

You chinese kids are A-O-K ;)

I wish I had bought a 41cc. The larger chassis ones don't thrill me, partly because I know they made them in larger displacements.

Latest posts

Back