Disston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been looking at the DA 211's on the search, but mostly pictures of ones people own. This is not high on my priority list now, but how hard is it to restore one of these. Mine used to turn over easy with a lot of compresion. The last time I pulled the cord it was hard to pull with no thump of the compression. Just a steady pull, it did turn over though. The last time we actually used it was probably in the late 60's. It's full of mud dobber nests now and only comes out when some body tells me about their great big 24 inch saw they just bought. I grab the bar and bring it out and then tell them they have to help me with the engine. I know, it's not that heavy, but it's a good set up when they grab one of the handles. Thanks, Joe

As Bill stated, their are a well built, well engineered machine. Restoration is straightforward and should be within the reach of any skilled mechanic. Plan on new coils, points, and condensors at a minimum. The carb responds well to a thorough cleaning. Often the handle bars need straightening and new grips.

With some TLC they are an easy to start, unique machine with a sound unlike other saws. Well worth the effort. I've done 6 of them.

I'm still looking for a spark plug cover for one of them. Please help if someone has a parts donor saw.

Bob

Bob,

As you well know those plug covers are a tough bird to find. It seems most were disgarded over the years. It would sure be nice to run across a stash of them somewhere. I am sure there is a saw shop out on the west coast that have them buried in a back room.

Bill

Thanks, guys. Now I know what I'm gonna do as soon as I get my 2 Homelite 1050's put back together and running. I feel a bad case of CAD coming on. A couple years ago I through a temper tantrum cleaning out my shop. I sold all of my Dads old Homelites, a bunch of XL12's, Super 12's, EZ's, and 2 150's. Now I wish I had them all back, Joe.

I've been looking at the DA 211's on the search, but mostly pictures of ones people own. This is not high on my priority list now, but how hard is it to restore one of these. Mine used to turn over easy with a lot of compresion. The last time I pulled the cord it was hard to pull with no thump of the compression. Just a steady pull, it did turn over though. The last time we actually used it was probably in the late 60's. It's full of mud dobber nests now and only comes out when some body tells me about their great big 24 inch saw they just bought. I grab the bar and bring it out and then tell them they have to help me with the engine. I know, it's not that heavy, but it's a good set up when they grab one of the handles. Thanks, Joe

sounds like the rings are sticky. put the spark plugs pointed up and fill the holes with WD blaster . crank it a few times to push juice by rings and refill and wait till spring.:)

Back