DIY Barrel Stoves...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChipMonger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
All,

Im curious to hear what you all think of home made barrel stoves, you know, buy the kit of pieces and bolt them to a 55 gallon drum to make the "stove". I have a decently large shop that is currently unheated, and poorly insulated. I cant do much about the insulation issue as the rent is dirt cheap and the landlord isnt willing to insulate, however, there are provisions to put in a wood stove of some sort.

I figured a barrel stove might be a good way to go seeing as the parts kit is cheap, 55 gallon drums are plentiful, and i can feed it with plenty of pallet wood. So id like to hear what your opinions are, all of em' the good, the bad, the ugly of these types of "stoves" as i have zero experience with these and dont know anyone that does....So lets hear it.

One of the cabins at scout camp had one when I was a kid. That sucker put out an unreal amount of heat. It was only the single barrel type. The double barrel setup always gets my attention when flipping through the Northern tool fliers.

I have a 55 gallon stove in my garage and just put one in my hunting cabin a few weeks ago. They're cheap, simple to make, and put out lots of heat. I say go for it[emoji106]

First fire at the cabin
bc27c15b54f514393705a6b02d03afab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one in my garage, it heats great. I lined the bottom of mine with fire brick though, don't want it to wear through too soon.
I used red high temp rtv to act like a gasket when I bolted the parts on, not sure if it works or not as it was squashed quite thin but I wanted it.

I've used 'em... several of 'em (still have one stored in the shed)... and I've been around dozens of 'em. Truth is, 'round here anyway, the barrel stove is the "go to" heater for a shed, shop, barn, man cave hang out, huntin' shack, and whatnot. They make a ton of friggin' heat... a friggin' ton... and they make it quick. That's why they're chosen for uninsulated places not heated 24/7... your buddy stops with a box-o-beer, ya' walk in the shed (away from the woman folk), and your barrel is crankin' out the heat in a five minutes. At times ya' can't stand within ten feet of the thing without gettin' an instant sunburn.

They also eat wood, a lot of it... that's the price for a lot of heat, non-stop. But for an area you only use a few hours a week, or even a month... so what?? I've never burned pallet wood so I can't say for sure how that would work in a barrel... but, after all, wood-is-wood.

Barrel choice can make a difference. I like to find the ones made from heavier gauge steel... although there's fewer and fewer of those around. I also like the ones you can lift the whole lid off by removing a band clamp... but those are even harder to find now-a-days. Whatever barrel you get, throw a few inches of (dry) sand in the bottom, keeps the bottom from burnin' through. You'll likely need a flue damper to keep it under control... place it as high off the barrel as possible so the shaft don't sag from heat (yeah they get that hot). If there's any combustible surfaces close, you'll wanna' shield them with something... sheet steel works good, or aluminum if you have it.

I always hung a box fan above mine, wired through a cheap line-voltage thermostat (close on rise)... when it would kick on a lot of heat got distributed, fast‼

Pretty much nailed it Spidey but i didn't want to type all that. Lol

LOL
Or, in the case of the OP, with the overhead shop doors wide friggin' open‼
LMAO...That wont be a problem. i'll open the doors as wide as they will go. Im to impatient to do the first burn out back, then let it cool and move it inside, i understand why though. Once its built, its getting lit. lol

Couple more questions...

Kenjax...are you burning right on the layer of sand, or do you have a grate above it? looks like you have a grate in the pic you attached.

For those of you using fire brick, are you just laying the brick in the bottom of the barrel, and putting a grate over it? or burning right on the brick

Any pics you guys have of the inside of the barrel would be great.

Yes there was a grate from an old grill in the picuture but its no longer in there

A shop?

Is this a place of business?

With insurance?

Red flags if so.[/QUOTE]

NSMaple...

Personal shop, no insurance. Unless im using it for a project it sits empty. I do not keep any tools etc in it. The building is in a very bad part of the inner city. The only thing in it would be the barrel stove, and that would be out when i left the building for the day.

i have a friend with a barrel stove. he has made and used many over the years. after a few years the metal gets thin. he once was walking buy the stove one winter and bumped the bottom with his foot and put a hole in the barrel. to me that sounds really unsafe but his argument is that since its a metal shop it cant burn, but he keeps a big pile of wood right next to the barrel stove. I've seen sparks shoot out his vent below the door. i wouldn't put a barrel stove in a building unless i wanted to burn the building down. my life and my shop are just to valuable to me. but to each their own.

Latest posts

Back