DIY Barrel Stoves...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used one inside a mobile home, with the pipe running out a window. Yep, not the thing to do, but it did work. :eek: Only had it burning when I was there.

Used a 35 gal barrel, and it really put out the heat, with not that much wood. I did put sand in the bottom of it. Was on all propane then, and that was expensive even 40 years ago. So the propane thermostat got set at 50, and the barrel stove heated the place when I got home. I had an unlimited supply of Doug Fir at that time, and it burned fast and hot.

A shop?

Personal shop, no insurance. Unless im using it for a project it sits empty. I do not keep any tools etc in it. The building is in a very bad part of the inner city. The only thing in it would be the barrel stove, and that would be out when i left the building for the day.

if there is no tools or anything, and it sits empty then whats the point of heating it? what do you use the building for?

I've done the grate thing in 'em... used one of those elevated fireplace grates. It made the thing burn even hotter (harder to control), and shorter. I built one once with baffles and a grate... worked real good, but a lot more work than just bolting on the parts kit. If'n I was you (and I ain't), for a shop... I'd buy the kit, bolt on the parts, shovel some sand in it, and throw the wood to it. Why add expense, or make it more complicated than it needs to be?? KISS ‼
Find, or build, yourself a small rake-like thing (with a metal handle, if possible) to maintain the fire with (I made mine).

A shop? Is this a place of business? With insurance? Red flags if so.
We've done the "insurance" discussion thing before. What insurance companies can, or cannot do changes with location, according to state/local law. Heck, I know of one automotive repair shop, in town, with a barrel stove... and it even has a used oil drip coil in it. Another shop has a used oil burner made from a water heater core. And I can have multiple appliances connected to a single chimney (which is how this chimney has been used for 100 years). According to state/local laws, the insurance companies can't revoke or penalize if you're not breaking local code. There is no federal law requiring any state or community to adhere to the NFPA NEC... the NFPC is an "Association", and it's published codes are voluntary, not mandatory.

I wouldn't put a barrel stove in a building unless i wanted to burn the building down.
That's silly... how safe something is, or is not, depends entirely on how it's used and maintained.
Heck, people burn their houses down with brand new, professionally installed stoves... or cigarettes... every year.
Just because your friend over-fires the thing to the point sparks are flying from it, or doesn't replace the barrel in a timely way, don't make them unsafe... it makes him (the user) unsafe.

Heck, the number one cause of house fires is from cooking... you gonna' stop cooking in your home?? Candles cause about the same amount of fires as heating equipment... does your wife burn candles??

The OLD 55 gallon drums were quite thick, they made a decent bbl. stove. The drums of today are quite thin and I personally wouldn't want one full of fire in any of my buildings!

SR

if there is no tools or anything, and it sits empty then whats the point of heating it? what do you use the building for?

I use it when i have a project; mostly larger steel fabrication projects that i cant do at home . I bring in what i need, when im done, it all comes with me. I need the space periodically, and the neighborhood is just to crappy to leave anything there of value. The price was to good to turn down, hence wanting to heat it only when im there working.

That's silly... how safe something is, or is not, depends entirely on how it's used and maintained.
Heck, people burn their houses down with brand new, professionally installed stoves... or cigarettes... every year.
Just because your friend over-fires the thing to the point sparks are flying from it, or doesn't replace the barrel in a timely way, don't make them unsafe... it makes him (the user) unsafe.

Heck, the number one cause of house fires is from cooking... you gonna' stop cooking in your home?? Candles cause about the same amount of fires as heating equipment... does your wife burn candles??
thats not true at all!!! guns kill ppl!!! so do cars, doctors, and alcoholic beverages, and dont even get me started on nail guns!!! a rubber mallot is the only thing i use to build a house!!!
cooking?? all my cooking gets done in the microwave. or the hot wheel. (pizzazz) A WIFE???? WHAT???? do i look crazy??? i dont have a wife!!! haven't met a girl dumb enough to wanna marry me. lol. jk

what makes you think he over-fired the stove? have you ever burned mulberry? it sparks like a machine gun at times. i agree though that he could be safer with his stove and placement of wood. for me personally i wouldn't take the risk of a barrel stove. but i have been told that i overthink things once or twice. :)

That's silly... how safe something is, or is not, depends entirely on how it's used and maintained.*

your theory spidey is correct. as long as you do everything properly you'll never have a problem... my problem is though that i'm not perfect, i make mistakes, i forget to check things sometimes... as soon as i'm perfect i'll consider installing a barrel stove.

There is no federal law requiring any state or community to adhere to the NFPA NEC... the NFPC is an "Association", and it's published codes are voluntary, not mandatory.

States and local authorities 'adopt' the NFPA codes, and then they are mandatory, subject to interpretation by 'the authority having jurisdiction' - usually the State or local Fire Marshall.

You can look for drum recycling companies if you don't have a personal supply of the metal drums, and you can be pick about what you specify that way too.

Philbert

thats not true at all!!! guns kill ppl!!! so do cars, doctors, and alcoholic beverages, and dont even get me started on nail guns!!! a rubber mallot is the only thing i use to build a house!!!
cooking?? all my cooking gets done in the microwave. or the hot wheel. (pizzazz) A WIFE???? WHAT???? do i look crazy??? i dont have a wife!!! haven't met a girl dumb enough to wanna marry me. lol. jk

what makes you think he over-fired the stove? have you ever burned mulberry? it sparks like a machine gun at times. i agree though that he could be safer with his stove and placement of wood. for me personally i wouldn't take the risk of a barrel stove. but i have been told that i overthink things once or twice. :)

I guess you could use the 30 gallon kit, and install it inside a 55 gallon barrel, and put a blower fan in the back. Even if it burned through, not likely with sand or firebrick on the bottom, at worst it would fall to another layer of steel.

Dad made one from a 300 gallon heating oil tank with 55 gallon drum on top. Burn oak trailer flooring scraps and anything else fit in the door. Grandpa had the twin 55 gallon stove.

Both were ravenous eaters but would put out the heat. Our shop was uninsulated without even a ceiling (40. X 40) and I remember the winter of 94 we had a week of negative 20 weather. Shop was warm. Sides of the stove were glowing red but we were warm. Both stoves were removed because insurance company refused coverage if non UL approved stoves were installed.

I picked up a Volgelzang barrel in scrap heap I got for nothing. Was thinking of putting in insulated 24x24 shop that buddy rents from me. it has 8' walls with vaulted ceiling, I think just bat insulation between outside steel and inside sheetrock. I bought it and moved to my place, haven't done anything with it yet. So, shop has no overhead doors, one walkin 36" and one other that is around 48" .

So, how close to a sheetrocked wall can these "stoves" be? Or should I put dead center of shop? Better for heat distribution but may get in way. At some point I may put some overhead doors in.

Would like to only punch one hole in roof if possible. Also could put an old Fisher or Woodland pops has in shed too.

I would do dead center if you could. Dads was and it worked well. Grandpas was in a corner and didn't do nearly as well. Central location is going to put the chimney in the best place as well.

If you do put the stove in a corner I would be very generous with clearances like 4' plus. I would also put up standoff heat sheild on the walls. Sheet of 20~ gauge galvanized steel spaces off the wall 1" (metal spacers) would work well.

But in all reality in a shop that size that's even just air sealed drywall or interior metal, that stove will run you out. A small stove such as a jotul 602 or other equivlent will suffice. At least find some of the old 20-30 gallon grease drums and transfer the door, legs, and pipe collars over.

I would suggest interior metal siding instead of drywall in a shop. It's not that much more than 5/8 drywall and is much more durable and a greater piece of mind to sparks from a torch or welder. Friends shop is drywall and there are lots of dents and holes. The white painted panels give you a brighter work area compared to untainted drywall and if you paint and finish the drywall you bring price even closer. And sheet metal panels are much easier to handle than drywall on a ceiling.

When we removed our barrel stove a 300k btu propane went in. It did not do the job until we put 3/4 foil face celotex on the ceiling sealing off the rafters.

I agree 100% on steel, inside. I did white steel in my heated 32x50 garage, it is great. Shop is only drywall from previous owner. Probably throw it in middle, thanks for info.

Had one for a few years in my shop. Double barrel setup. Heat was great. I also installed a door in the top barrel and placed a rack inside. Worked great for cooking out in the shop.

When I cut the door on the lower 55 I put it on the end without the bung holes making sure that one of the bungs was at it's lowest position. Removing the bung plug I screwed in a 1.5 inch pipe from the inside of the drum. This pipe serves as the pre heated air input, sits in the bed of coals and has a Tee on it's end with a plug so one opening faces up.

Great idea! Could even keep on going with the pipe(if the stove location worked) and get outside air!

I've been thinking hard about these style stoves. My folks are about to purchase acreage and my dad wants to build a shop/barn so this is the heating option I think I'll go with.

Back