DIY Barrel Stoves...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Son- in -law came in one morning with wet gloves, laid them on the top barrel and set down and fixed a cup of coffee. Before he got a drink, we had flames. Only did that once. Said wasn't going to stay long and wanted the gloves dry when he left, they were but a little hard to get on.

Heated our old house for 17 years with a Sotz double set. Replaced the 1st set after 10 years, lined the lower with 4 rows of firebrick and ran flue damper. Had it set up in the basement with a sheet of tin suspended about 2 ft above it and about 2 ft below the overhead floor joists with a box fan hanging about 8ft away blowing at it on low speed. Have to admit it was probably one of the best rigs I've used. Put out lots of heat and I don't think you could ever overfuel it cause the upper drum dissipated so much heat. Just looked shaky as hell. Had Nationwide insurance and about 5 years into it a rep was at the house doing a spot check thing and saw my set up and freaked out...not a manufactured piece and not UL approved. After an assuring conversation he noted a woodstove of an unknown manufacturer on his paperwork and told me that if there was ever a fire caused by it that damages wouldn't be covered. But as I said I burn't it hard for 17 years without a problem.

I had a barrel stove in my shop 24x52 with 12 foot ceiling. I just bought the single kit for the legs and door added my own built to make it a double barrel. had a good layer of sand in the bottom. be 20 below zero when I would go out there and build a fire in it. go back in the house and make coffee and have a cup about a hour. go back out there and work in a t shirt.
A friend of mine still has one he uses he wrapped both barrels with soft copper tubing hung a couple big car radiators from the ceiling at both ends and fans. Boy that think is nice even made a manifold and used a old truck thermostat on the manifold to open and closes the draft.

Another friend made his out of a 250 gallon fuel oil tank for his lawn and garden shop.

As for being a danger so is some people having access to matches and lighters. All warnings should be removed from equipment to stop them from breeding more of their kind. They some how have the ability to mess up a pop corn fart.

:D Al

Back