DIY Crankcase splitting tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pakai Boti

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello.
Unfortuneatly I don't have enough money to buy myself a crankcase splitting tool, so I decided that I will make one for myself.I need just the measurements for the tool, if anybody is willing to tell me them.
Thank You really much!

I got one from farmerstec for $37 total that is the same one they sell for $60 on up. I have already used it several times, works great as I doubt you can make one much cheaper. The bar stud one could easily do major damage to a case IMO.

I got one from farmerstec for $37 total that is the same one they sell for $60 on up. I have already used it several times, works great as I doubt you can make one much cheaper. The bar stud one could easily do major damage to a case IMO.
had one made at machine shop. he charged me 60 . He said actual time involved should have been 150 dollars.

There is little risk of the bar studs pulling out, there forces involved are not that great. Do a little searching for an old thread by Lakeside53, a renown Stihl tech that moved on from AS, you will see his set up that he used before he got the high dollar Stihl equipment.

Mark

The crankcases are not welded or bonded together guys. A smack from a deadblow hammer will separate most any saw I have worked over, I mostly use a puller since I have them but the cases come apart easily, not enough resistance to pull bar studs out of a metal crankcase saw.

Nope, done dozens with a homemade puller, never once did ANY damage.:cool:

I made my own crude one just like the example above. It's not pretty but it works pretty slick!

You really don’t need any tools other than a bearing puller.

Knock pins towards flywheel side of case, get entire case hot to around 350* in oven/grill/etc, whack crank with a mallet. The case will literally fall apart into pieces.

The only issue is that the bearings tend to stay on the crank with this method, hence the puller.

Latest posts

Back