Do it all saw!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, ya, the 361 can't do it all.

But it sure is a :censored: nice saw for a homeowner. :monkey: Flame away. I'm sure they're killer firewood saws in all honesty, and when I see one for a good price I might get one. A 60 cc saw is great for bucking 8-18'' logs, so it definitely has it's niche. It is somewhat flexible, put an 8 pin and 16'' bar and it's a nice if slightly heavy limber, or put a 7 pin and 25'' bar with skip for the bigger stuff (although what fun is that when you can pull out the 90cc saws and blow through big wood...)

But it sure is a :censored: nice saw for a homeowner. :monkey: Flame away. I'm sure they're killer firewood saws in all honesty, and when I see one for a good price I might get one. A 60 cc saw is great for bucking 8-18'' logs, so it definitely has it's niche. It is somewhat flexible, put an 8 pin and 16'' bar and it's a nice if slightly heavy limber, or put a 7 pin and 25'' bar with skip for the bigger stuff (although what fun is that when you can pull out the 90cc saws and blow through big wood...)

Honestly, I very rarely pick up anything below 70cc. Limbing and everything, then I don't have to bend over. 28" bar on both my 70cc saws. Unless Im up a tree then I got the 200T, then when bucking down the stub, the bigger saw will come out again.

Honestly, I very rarely pick up anything below 70cc. Limbing and everything, then I don't have to bend over. 28" bar on both my 70cc saws. Unless Im up a tree then I got the 200T, then when bucking down the stub, the bigger saw will come out again.

Yeah my 268 used to be my main saw, then I got an old 034. Both with 16'' bars, although I also have a 20'' for the Husky. I cut a fair bit of wood, probably 4 full cords so far this year but most of my cutting has been 10- 18'' hardwood with plenty of 20-24'' but nothing over 28-30. The 2095 with a 24'' comes out in the bigger stuff. Realistically it's about getting the saw(s) that fits your needs, and I guess to the non professional user a 361 wouls seem amazing because their cutting needs are very minor. (For the record I am far from a professional logger/ arborist and more or less the only thing I could be considered professional at is drinking beer.)

The 361 is *the* saw.

Honestly, I rarely run anything other than a 361. I have 70cc saws, and 45cc saws. I use the 60cc saws by far the most. Dunno why you would need a larger saw in most situations.

Last edited:
You know I like the idea of a 361 but then I realize it really isn't big enough to fell and buck the big oaks I have around my place, and then I also start thinking that it is way too heavy to be a dedicated limbing saw. Combine these thoughts with a inferior air filtration system and It soon becomes clear that you really need a 346XP NE and a 372XP. Glad I got those silly 361 thoughts out of my head. Stihl MS 361, a true jack of all trades and master of none. :givebeer:

Scott

You know I like the idea of a 361 but then I realize it really isn't big enough to fell and buck the big oaks I have around my place, and then I also start thinking that it is way too heavy to be a dedicated limbing saw. Combine these thoughts with a inferior air filtration system and It soon becomes clear that you really need a 346XP NE and a 372XP. Glad I got those silly 361 thoughts out of my head. Stihl MS 361, a true jack of all trades and master of none. :givebeer:

Scott

WS,

Cease and decist. Don't make me sue ya. :cheers:

Joat

Nothing like a good reliable dog by your side. Nothing I can count on more.

Yah, nothing like the vet and food bills, them tearing up the floors and furniture, barking all the time, peeing and :censored:ing all over the place, shedding, and filling the house with fleas and ticks. Oh, and don't forget about the puke on the rugs and the mud that they drag in when they get in the house.

Good doggy...

Last edited:
The 361 is *the* saw.

Honestly, I rarely run anything other than a 361. I have 70cc saws, and 45cc saws. I use the 60cc saws by far the most. Dunno why you would need a larger saw in most situations.

Even on 30" and bigger wood??? That would be a waste of time with a 60cc saw.

Even on 30" and bigger wood??? That would be a waste of time with a 60cc saw.

A waste of time? Sorry. You are dead wrong there. I have dropped and limbed and bucked up many 2-3 foot DBH trees with a 361. It runs a 25 inch bar no sweat. My longest bar is a 28 inch and so the 044 still requires a two sided cut in larger DBH wood as well. The time difference running a 361 compared to the 044 is not that great, and the ease of which the 361 runs and handles more than makes up for the added time on the saw bucking. It is actually faster to limb and top with. I know a lot of arborists that climb with them.

I have a really good 044, with the roller, big falling spikes and a DP muffler, 3/4 wrap, yadda yadda. Pro setup all the way. It screams. But it is not like it drops the trees for me. Yah, it is faster. Just last week I ran a comparison noodling some huge rounds. The 361 took about 15% longer. But my hands had 90% less tingling feeling in them cutting with the 361. The 361 is also a lot lighter. I can run the 361 all day and not feel very tired. 5 or 6 tanks of gas on the 044 and I am vibed out. I cut a stand of 18-30 inch redwoods with the 361 last summer, and I seriously doubt that I could have dropped them any faster with a 440. I posted several photos of that stand on some other AS threads.

So, unless I need to run a 28 inch bar and get something done faster for some particular reason, I use one of the 361s with a 25 inch bar. I have found that the difference over time between using the 044 and the 361 is not that great. In the case of firewood scrounging, where my time is my time, I much prefer the lighter and easier to use saw. Especially when thinning with saw in hand all day. I cut at least 10 cords a year here. Where I was before this year it was more like 20 cords, and I thinned and clear cut about 5 acres a year. I also managed an 85 acre tree stand, thinnning, falling, and clearing. The 361 (and the 290 I had there) was a great all-around saw for that purpose, cutting anything from 3 to 48 inches, be it oak, alder, pine, madrone, fir, cedar, redwood, maple, box elder, apple, hawthorne, yadda yadda. I also had a 460 there for a while, but I did not use it that much. I also posted some tests running that saw a few years ago on AS.

Anyway, I have found that the sweet spot for me is the 60cc saw. Then again, I have not felled 2 million trees. Maybe if I had more 70cc saw time I could have, eh?

:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
A waste of time? Sorry. You are dead wrong there. I have dropped and limbed and bucked up many 2-3 foot DBH trees with a 361. It runs a 25 inch bar no sweat. My longest bar is a 28 inch and so the 044 still requires a two sided cut in larger DBH wood as well. The time difference running a 361 compared to the 044 is not that great, and the ease of which the 361 runs and handles more than makes up for the added time on the saw bucking. It is actually faster to limb and top with. I know a lot of arborists that climb with them.

I have a really good 044, with the roller, big falling spikes and a DP muffler, 3/4 wrap, yadda yadda. Pro setup all the way. It screams. But it is not like it drops the trees for me. Yah, it is faster. Just last week I ran a comparison noodling some huge rounds. The 361 took about 15% longer. But my hands had 90% less tingling feeling in them cutting with the 361. The 361 is also a lot lighter. I can run the 361 all day and not feel very tired. 5 or 6 tanks of gas on the 044 and I am vibed out. I cut a stand of 18-30 inch redwoods with the 361 last summer, and I seriously doubt that I could have dropped them any faster with a 440. I posted several photos of that stand on some other AS threads.

So, unless I need to run a 28 inch bar and get something done faster for some particular reason, I use one of the 361s with a 25 inch bar. I have found that the difference over time between using the 044 and the 361 is not that great. In the case of firewood scrounging, where my time is my time, I much prefer the lighter and easier to use saw. Especially when thinning with saw in hand all day. I cut at least 10 cords a year here. Where I was before this year it was more like 20 cords, and I thinned and clear cut about 5 acres a year. I also managed an 85 acre tree stand, thinnning, falling, and clearing. The 361 (and the 290 I had there) was a great all-around saw for that purpose, cutting anything from 3 to 48 inches, be it oak, alder, pine, madrone, fir, cedar, redwood, maple, box elder, apple, hawthorne, yadda yadda. I also had a 460 there for a while, but I did not use it that much. I also posted some tests running that saw a few years ago on AS.

Anyway, I have found that the sweet spot for me is the 60cc saw. Then again, I have not felled 2 million trees. Maybe if I had more 70cc saw time I could have, eh?

:chainsawguy:

Well I wouldn't say I'm dead wrong, there will be plenty of people that disagree with you. If your vibed out running a 044, then run a Husky.

Back