Do loggers really cut "200 trees/day"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wbf,

That was my point, a bunch of discussion without sufficient context. My statement was meant to remind folks that no one was claiming the falling and bucking of 200 20” trees.

in the right circumstances, most of us could fall 200 trees a day. But only a few could fall 200 20” trees in typical circumstances, and likely no one can repetitively fall and buck 200 20” trees a day.

None of my posts were meant to be a jab at you. Last one was just having fun visualizing a plate of trees as if they were French fries.

Ron

Wbf,

That was my point, a bunch of discussion without sufficient context. My statement was meant to remind folks that no one was claiming the falling and bucking of 200 20” trees.

in the right circumstances, most of us could fall 200 trees a day. But only a few could fall 200 20” trees in typical circumstances, and likely no one can repetitively fall and buck 200 20” trees a day.

None of my posts were meant to be a jab at you. Last one was just having fun visualizing a plate of trees as if they were French fries.

Ron
as for french fries...

having run self loather long enough now, I can say that most folks that claim to cut 200 trees a day, it looks like a plate of french fries when they are done.

Wbf,

None of my posts were meant to be a jab at you. Last one was just having fun visualizing a plate of trees as if they were French fries
All the OP said was that they were of substantive size. Meaning considerable or good enough size.

I have cut bundles of 1"×2" × 8ft ×4ft×4ft with a ported 3120 and done 52 packs in 1 hour 45 min. That's 832 sq ft of dry wood. They are bound together tight with steel bands.
That's 1/3 more volume in 1/3 the time, than 200 20" at approximately 550 sq ft

That is best case scenario. Volume can be overcome to an extent. Size of the trees is certainly not the main factor to make or break that 'number'.

I agree, I personally can work with his description of size but it does leave it open for many many different opinions.

It's set up to get people pitting against one another. People feel the need to defend their manhood or convince how it can or/and can't be done..as I am.

Anyway, you didn't take a couple shots at me? because that is what the thread was designed to do..silly.
Lolzz

Now we can move on to the 'danger part' that was raised in the OP next.

The show went on to claim that this logger cuts up to 200 trees a day. I have two thoughts about that:
1) It would be extremely dangerous to cut that speed.
I personally have low consentration when I go slow. Same as driving at lower speeds. People think I'm drunk. Don't get me to hold a ladder for you or road sign.

Wbf,

You were the first one to add a context. I didn't challenge it, nor did you make any claim to fall and buck 200 20" trees per day though it seemed that some were taking your post that way. Pitting folks against each other is not my definition of fun. If you want a jab from me, how about I don't believe you can eat 100 trees for breakfast without ketchup and hot sauce. That's the best I got.

Ron

I’m on the forestry side of things now but when I was still logging we got paid piece price and for the saws to make more than us in the rigging they would have had to cut that or more. Even when I would go saw I’d cut well over 100. Our wood varied from 8” to big enough you had to bridle them with two chokers and the average being steering wheel sized . This was also for a line machine where you typical only had to trip them unless it was way over size then you knocked a log off. Log making happened on the landing

We skidded between 300-500 trees with an under cut in them per day. So to not run out of wood they had to be knocking down quite a bit a day.

While I am trespassing in the logging forum, I say we ask how many trees did you fall today, or before lunch if you can't count that high. I will go first. Today before lunch: ZERO. Access road was blocked and fuel filter on tractor was a block of ice. After lunch: ONE. Actually two, but I don't usually count trees that are just in my way. Spent the rest of the day skidding previously felled stems, bucking 10' to 12' lengths and stacking. At this rate given time off for vacations, family obligations, bad weather etc. that would be about 30 trees a year. Of course, today was not typical, but even so I average far less than 200 20" or greater trees a year though at times I may fall dozens of plate and saucer size trees before lunch. My low count is one of the reasons I hang out in this forum - trying to learn how to be better at something I enjoy doing.

The tree of the day - 90 foot ash.
IMG_6594.JPG

Either the top or middle section; I don't remember which. Picture was taken for my McCulloch friends who fear I have gone over to the dark side with the 500i.
IMG_6598.JPG
Ron

While I am trespassing in the logging forum, I say we ask how many trees did you fall today, or before lunch if you can't count that high. I will go first. Today before lunch: ZERO. Access road was blocked and fuel filter on tractor was a block of ice. After lunch: ONE. Actually two, but I don't usually count trees that are just in my way. Spent the rest of the day skidding previously felled stems, bucking 10' to 12' lengths and stacking. At this rate given time off for vacations, family obligations, bad weather etc. that would be about 30 trees a year. Of course, today was not typical, but even so I average far less than 200 20" or greater trees a year though at times I may fall dozens of plate and saucer size trees before lunch. My low count is one of the reasons I hang out in this forum - trying to learn how to be better at something I enjoy doing.

The tree of the day - 90 foot ash.
View attachment 954702

Either the top or middle section; I don't remember which. Picture was taken for my McCulloch friends who fear I have gone over to the dark side with the 500i.
View attachment 954703
Ron
today is Saturday... I'm not even wearing pants, even took a nap before lunch, might take one before dinner too.

I thought Northman drove a Ford pickup.

Ron

grrr... I do... that commercial gives me hives lol, sure a "stock" chevy... uh huh with a modifed rear end and trans uh huh. Kinda like the now famous bowtie commercial about fords "aluminum" beds (the deck is steel) getting a hole tore in it, when the chevy faired way worse...

grrr... I do... that commercial gives me hives lol, sure a "stock" chevy... uh huh with a modifed rear end and trans uh huh. Kinda like the now famous bowtie commercial about fords "aluminum" beds (the deck is steel) getting a hole tore in it, when the chevy faired way worse...
Hopefully it has some modified brakes!

Nope. All the outfits I've been around have cut off the limbs and stobs that survive the trip to the landing. I always thought that was what the mill demanded. Exporting is illegal off federal land, except for odd exceptions about incense and Alaska yellow cedar and logs from Alaska...
Well yeah. I was talking about doing extra, not less, like bumping swollen branch collars in export logs.

Exporting of raw logs from BC has been law and outlawed since 1890s

Remember Volvo’s station wagon ads about how strong and safe they were but were later proved to be false. I believe most manufacturers exaggerate, even our beloved saw manufacturers.

Ron

How many a day do you think he is cutting?

He's smooth. Good eastern lean and all easily turned to the s-se. Probably doing about 60 tree an hour there to start. A couple of cuts in the film in the first tank. The one leaning in a tree that he was tickling..I would have cut the inside of the hold wood to the outside corner to allow it to turn on the outer square & roll out while it had momentum. Wouldn't risk hanging it' for the sake of one correct stump especially if it is salvage wood.
At 50 tree an hour would put him at about the 300 mark.

Back