Do we need to have a Georgia GTG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was about to ask you about that in your other thread. Come on down. Bring some saws too!

Unloaded the first logs today at the GTG site. Blew a hose on the Bobcat or I would have had more. Maybe tomorrow I can bring in another trailer full since I've repaired the hydraulic leak. Have some medium sized wood lined up but nothing challenging yet.

How much wood?
That is my current question...
I have never been to a GTG so trying to host one has its challenges. I have no idea how many logs I should have on hand for cookie cutting. I figure if we make one or two inch cookies, a 16' long log should provide quite a few cuts. But how many cookies does a cookie cutter cut at a GTG? Anyone that has been to one and could provide some insight into this?
I am currently moving logs onto the site and within the next couple days expect to have about 30 logs of lengths from 10 to 20 feet long varying from 5" up to about 18"
I don't have any "big wood" yet but hope to come across some prior to the event in Sept.

How much wood?
That is my current question...
I have never been to a GTG so trying to host one has its challenges. I have no idea how many logs I should have on hand for cookie cutting. I figure if we make one or two inch cookies, a 16' long log should provide quite a few cuts. But how many cookies does a cookie cutter cut at a GTG? Anyone that has been to one and could provide some insight into this?
I am currently moving logs onto the site and within the next couple days expect to have about 30 logs of lengths from 10 to 20 feet long varying from 5" up to about 18"
I don't have any "big wood" yet but hope to come across some prior to the event in Sept.
check out the PA GTG thread. there are some pics starting around page 43 or so i think. if you have 30 logs i think you will have plenty. just have one big one or two for the big saws. i just ask the wife if she wanted to go to a GTG in GA. and all i got was :rolleyes:.

Though it may require a sick day [emoji40], I'm definitely in. Let me know how I can help you get ready. I'm usually off work in the middle if the week.

Warpig6

Though it may require a sick day [emoji40], I'm definitely in. Let me know how I can help you get ready. I'm usually off work in the middle if the week.

Warpig6
Probably close to the event (week of) I could use help prepping the grounds. Mowing, string trimming, getting logs set up on stands ready to cut, moving equipment out from under the roofed area so we can have at least some stuff out of the sun and rain, etc. We'll probably have people bring their camp chairs and we have some of that stuff here... By the way, I enjoyed our Mini-GTG the other day.

Probably close to the event (week of) I could use help prepping the grounds. Mowing, string trimming, getting logs set up on stands ready to cut, moving equipment out from under the roofed area so we can have at least some stuff out of the sun and rain, etc. We'll probably have people bring their camp chairs and we have some of that stuff here... By the way, I enjoyed our Mini-GTG the other day.

Man I had a blast! I'll set aside some time to come help. If anything comes up between now and then, give me a shout.

Warpig6

I have a four footer, but..would need a rollback to move it, and being a yard tree at a cabin that is a hunnert years old I know it has metal in it. Found some already, including a big lag, looks like a gate pin. Bound to be more in there. had some three footers but cut them up already. I have a string down a broiler house I chew at once in awhile, but I think the largest is only around 28-30 inches or so,

Well, got another trailer load of logs to the GTG site before a Bobcat lift cylinder blew and gave me a misting of hydraulic fluid. Grrrr! That's the fourth of four hydraulic cylinders to blow in the last 15 hours. I hope I have a repair kit in stock. It's hard to get any work done when you're working on the machinery all the time. So, I went and felled three more trees and limbed them out. Got more food for the chipper now so need another go on that. The wood has a lot of dirt and sand on it so I'll need to figure out a way to clean it off well before people stick their saws in it. I wonder if pressure washing it would work? Or maybe it'll dry enough to allow peeling the bark? We'll see...

I have a four footer, but..would need a rollback to move it, and being a yard tree at a cabin that is a hunnert years old I know it has metal in it. Found some already, including a big lag, looks like a gate pin. Bound to be more in there. had some three footers but cut them up already. I have a string down a broiler house I chew at once in awhile, but I think the largest is only around 28-30 inches or so,

That is always a concern with big wood in this area. I've found lots of interesting stuff. Fence wire and nails are a given but log chain, big spikes, metal fence posts and other items can make for a bad day. I have a metal detector (treasure type) but never tried it on wood.

That is always a concern with big wood in this area. I've found lots of interesting stuff. Fence wire and nails are a given but log chain, big spikes, metal fence posts and other items can make for a bad day. I have a metal detector (treasure type) but never tried it on wood.

I use my bounty hunter sometimes on fence line wood, but..basically I just know I will hit old wire. I buy customer no pickup sharpened chains from my local shop for just such occasions. Five bucks a loop, I grab a handful now and then. Mostly safety chain, I don't care, designed and priced to get trashed. The metal detector just goes off all the time with those boundary and fenceline trees, sometimes you see the old marks in the wood where the wire was absorbed, sometimes not. The rust diffuses through the wood so you get a steady low tone up a few feet. My detector is a cheapie, so don't know if a good one would be more precise or not for seeing really large old nasty stuff. Real old wire isn't that bad, anything else is though..

I actually have a used loop of carbide but need to find a bar it will fit, came off a firemans saw, echo. It's small, not sure of size, one of those severe drop nose entry saw things. Well, have to get it sharpened as well, guess you need a diamond file. Still, not real big. 16 maybe.

Not sure what the plan is for cooking. My smoker is available if it will help... Reverse flow, 2 racks, big grill on the back and a fish cooker on the right side. Also cooks some great boiled peanuts on top of the fire box.
9epe9e5a.jpg

Warpig6

Problem with a big cooking operation is that someone misses the saw action. I have lots of wood (pecan, oak, whatever) so if someone wants to make food instead of chips I'm all for it.
Figured we'd probably have pulled pork bbq, burgers and hotdogs but certainly open to whatever. If I have a chance, I'll do some pig hunting and maybe source some grub that way. Right now I'm concentrating on getting wood to cut. Been traveling a lot so it's hard fitting other stuff into my schedule. Be in Pennsylvania for a week leaving Tues or Wed. Going out this morning to work on the Bobcat. If I could keep that running for a couple hours in a row, I'd get some stuff done.

Problem with a big cooking operation is that someone misses the saw action. I have lots of wood (pecan, oak, whatever) so if someone wants to make food instead of chips I'm all for it.
Figured we'd probably have pulled pork bbq, burgers and hotdogs but certainly open to whatever. If I have a chance, I'll do some pig hunting and maybe source some grub that way. Right now I'm concentrating on getting wood to cut. Been traveling a lot so it's hard fitting other stuff into my schedule. Be in Pennsylvania for a week leaving Tues or Wed. Going out this morning to work on the Bobcat. If I could keep that running for a couple hours in a row, I'd get some stuff done.
where in pa FOP ?

Back