Do You ID Mark Your Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveStihlQuality

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
An old 028 Super bought new for my Dad years ago. Playing with engraver, engraved saw as well. Several years ago, swiped out of brother in laws truck at Save Big Money. Fast forward, guy brings saw to old time dealer for a chain. Old Man Lee who sold us saw, recognizes dad's name. Odd we would've sold it, calls my dad to ask. He stalled the guy and called police. Guy actually bought saw from pos neighbor who was no stranger to police. Karma.

So engraving paid off but, admittedly, haven't engraved any other saws. Not sure why. I guess thinking might sell at some point.

So, do you mark your saws?

LoveStihlQuality

I have a saw that I bought used. It has what I presume is the last four of someone's social security # stamped into the mag, front & center. No reason to suspect it was hot, I just thought it was a good idea, whoever thought of doing it.....

I've got a sticker with my drivers license number in all of the air filter covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a sticker with my drivers license number in all of the air filter covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like a good way to identify your saw when it is sitting next to your buddy's saw of the same model.

It seems like it would have equivalent theft protection/identification as....nothing.

Or did I miss the sarcasm?

I put a random number on the bottom of the saw with a sharpie (just a 2 or 3 digit) and I use it for inventory purposes so I can keep track of which saws I've sold and which ones I still have in inventory. Other than that, I think marking that kind of equipment is pretty much a waste of time. The only beneficial thing I've seen some tree services do is to paint some horrendous color on the whole saw. They claim saw attrition drops to near zero after they start such a practice. I have one saw that had ugly paint on it and since cosmetics is such a significant factor in saw values, I painted it camo and just plan to keep it.
I do keep track of serial numbers. (most)
That's much more effective with guns where serial numbers get looked at more frequently...

i mark my saw but only because other fallers will mistake it for theirs if i don't. everyone else marks there's for the same reason though so i just engrave the top fin with my initials. all it takes is removing the AF cover to see it. with 14 fallers all running the same saws it's easy to mix them up. other guys just sharpie the plastics to heck so real easy to spot the one with no sharpie markings. i just engrave the cylinder just in case some cull tries to write his name on my saw. **** happens and there are people like that.

I always hate to buy a saw that has something engraved or written on it. I don't mind if it's in an out of the way place but most of the time they put it right on top of the saw.
I guess that's the dilemma, not always knowing for sure what you will keep and you might sell. Marked AF cover can be swapped. Good for sale, not permanent.

LoveStihlQuality

Usually pretty easy to lightly etch initials and number on the cyl head, and then a bit deeper in the works on the piece the holds the chainsaw bar. I suppose if you were really paranoid you could stuff a full sized dog tag into your fuel tank, then use some fuel safe epoxy to hold it against a surface so it wouldn't rattle around, or block your fuel intake.

I have a saw that I bought used. It has what I presume is the last four of someone's social security # stamped into the mag, front & center. No reason to suspect it was hot, I just thought it was a good idea, whoever thought of doing it.....
that's what i do Duane. i just etch them on the bottom of the saw. it doesn't detract from the saws appearance. at least if they get ripped off i can tell the cops i can identify them if they are recovered. i have those # 's on a lot of my stuff.

Usually pretty easy to lightly etch initials and number on the cyl head, and then a bit deeper in the works on the piece the holds the chainsaw bar. I suppose if you were really paranoid you could stuff a full sized dog tag into your fuel tank, then use some fuel safe epoxy to hold it against a surface so it wouldn't rattle around, or block your fuel intake.
Yeah, on the motor somewhere would be fine but I just hate when they put it on the outside in big bold letters that you can't erase..

I guess that's the dilemma, not always knowing for sure what you will keep and you might sell. Marked AF cover can be swapped. Good for sale, not permanent.

LoveStihlQuality
Most of the saws that I called "keepers" 10 years ago are all gone now. I think I only kept my Husqvarna 353..

Latest posts

Back