do you prefer the larger heel (logger boots) or smaller for spurs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok? you must be trying to rack up your post count with messages like that....

anyways...if anyone could help me out ive been climbing for 7 years for a pruning company. I never wanted to or have done Spurring until now. I'm looking for advice on whether to get the large logging heel or if a shorter heel will suffice just as well.

thanks

so you dont notice a difference climbing between the large logging heels versus whats just big enough to keep the spurs on?

alright thank you, last things im wondering are is a Steel toe important? what about steel vs composite shanks?

I climb in a set of honeywell high top boots. there are the only boot i can wear all day with out my feet killing me. the heel is more than enough to keep my spurs on bu then I also crank my spurs so they scarcely move a mm.

When all I did was climb conifers for a living I preferd high heeled loggers when climbing using spikes. But I don't even have any loggers any more and when doing a removal in spikes I use small heeled boots, I could and have though not recommended spiked up trees in tennis shoes. But I also tighten those puppies down so they don't move. I double wrap the shank aslo with the strap. I like steel toes boots. I can stick my toe in tight places and push off, like rock climbing. With no steel toe my boot seems to get stuck sometimes and my toes abused

I don't like high heals. I am in flatlands though. In hills in the woods, heals are better...but working residential work I probably would stay with shorter heals.

Stiff and strong shank. Probably steel, but there are some composite shanks that are stiff enough.

Toes? I always use steel toes on the ground. If I were doing all removals, I'd probably have steel toes in the tree as well. I do a lot more pruning without a chainsaw, so I don't feel much need for steel toes in the tree.

My redwings only have about a inch heal. My gaffs are fine with that much heal. Steel toe and shank.

I ditched my redwing loggers for a pair of salewa boots and I don't miss them at all. Much more comfortable on spurs then my loggers. If you're not into heels then a mountaineering boot will have a stiff composite sole and work well with or w/o spurs

Mythbusters dispelled the 'steel toes can chop your toes off' myth. It doesn't happen.

Heel size doesn't really matter... you just need a heel of some sort and wear your lowers straps tight.

Latest posts

Back