Do you remove chainbrakes from your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you remove chainbrakes from your saws?

• Total voters
No. I just wrap myself in cotton wool instead and pray that jesus will protect me

do you take the brakes off your truck, then use your gears to slow, like in the good ole days!

sorry for sarcasm, but saw a chain (inertia) brake save a trainees foot (or part thereoff)

Poll seems to reflect a change in attitude, kind of like a US president suggesting USA could be Muslim...oooops, off topic

what do you mean by that? you make it sound like we are a bunch of lawyers!:)

AGREED!!!!!!! my exact same thought---just like a lot of LEFTISTS think they can lie to the public to be trained by them--next thing ya know--the lawyers will want to sue you--if you dont have one on your homeowners saw--its a money thing----

Last edited:
I took the whole clutch cover chain brake off my 076 so it would give me a longer cut in my GB style CS mill. The 660 and 880 have an inboard brake so it was easier to leave the brake on the saw, still lost an inch of cut though. There's a very much reduced chance of kick back on my mill since the nose is completely surrounded but I do like the idea of having a brake that I can click on when clearing debris etc around the chain, without turning the saw off.

Got a big old scar on knee, from a no break jonsered and no chaps, now only run saws with safety equipment when working, just recently hit a nail, with 031av old chain no brake, good thing I had on chaps, still took a chunk out of knee flesh. Just goes to show your never to old to not be careful.

I only have had one kickback and that was along time ago when I first started logging with my new Husqvarna 162SE it had a brake on it.I was cutting too high and hit a branch dehind the log I was cutting on.I moved my head and got it on my left shoulder the brake did not engage.Now I have a 3 inch scare to show my lack of experience.Watch what you are doing and pay attention to what you are doing never forget that that saw doesn't know the difference between wood and flesh.It's kinda like everyone that rides a peddle bike has a helmet on but they also have shorts a t-shirt and flip flops on. I never fell on my head ridding my bike.

If it comes with one thats broke. I'll take it off. I own some that don't have them. The ones that have working ones. I keep them like that. :givebeer:

PS. I don't need a chain brake. Thats why I have my face. So scary looking, the chain just stops moving when I look at it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take one off of a saw. Although the 028 WB does not have one, but it still gets run, just more cautiously. And I would prefer all of the ones I use alot to have a brake on them. I trip mine when walking around, you just never know when something is goin to happen.

Interesting thread spacemule.

Looks like 2% of the people on this site are still complete morons. I woulda put the figure higher. :)

Looks like you can now:jawdrop:I was just thinking about this moron thing and your perception of it.If someone wasn't a (complete ) and I am thinking this includes total moron when it comes to safety pertaining to chainbrakes why would they not all be using the safety anti-kickback chain in conjunction to the chainbrake:dizzy:would be alot safer.Or is everyone just relying on the brake alone to do it's job.Maybe I should wear steel mesh gloves,full face steel helmet with steel mesh cover on the front,steel boots and a complete steel mesh outfit with chaps then I could be as stupid as I wanted to be with a chainsaw and not get cut:monkey:Why not use as much precaution as you can so you don't get in a precarious situation.

Brand new saws with brand new brakes aren't much problem. Joe backyard won't use the saw enough to wear out the brake. Working in the forest it's different, I'll junk the brake if it's broken or dodgy, which is common on well used pro saws. But for Joe Week-end Warrior, I'd recommend just fix the thing and it'll last you OK for another 5 years or so.

For a pro in thick jungle-like bush and rough terrain, a chainbrake can be nothing but a bloody vine-catching nuisance. The hand-wringing brain washed safety nazi types simply haven't got a f**n clue. Same with TH saws on pruning, falling branches catch the brake and twist your wrist or force the saw towards your body.

I'm sick and tired of trying to explain this stuff to clueless fat-assed academics sittin' in air-conditioned offices who actually think because they've read all the manuals they can tell you what you can and can't do with your own damn chainsaws.

Any self-rightous prat who came out into the bush calling me a moron to my face would be spendin' the next six months in traction sippin' their food thru a straw...

Y'all have a nice day now.. :buttkick:

I wear a full knight's armour when I'm chainsawing....

...that way I can stand under trees when I'm felling them so that they don't hurt the grass they land on.

Seriously, the only saws I have with chain-brakes are baby Stihls and yes, I use them. It's extra insurance up a tree to click the brake on when I start the saws and not have a spinning chain, or down at the river, where I put the brake on while walking between washed-up logs instead of turning the saw off.

My big saws don't have chain-brakes, but I may have to find some because OSHA regulations here mean that I can't get access into many areas due to not having chain-brakes on my saws.

Although I haven't been injured by a chainsaw, I had several near misses with a Pioneer 3270. Not quite sure why, but I got the feeling the saw just didn't like me, so I sold the cantankerous thing. My other saws have only kicked back when I've done something particularly stupid like saw up branches on a pile of sawn rounds - almost guaranteed to snatch!:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back