Do you think this tree should come down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3rock

3rock

I have a large tulip poplar located close to my house. When our arborist came out to prune it, he said he found the following: the tree is hollow and the largest leader over the house is cracked. He said he could not safely prune it and that it's a living hazard that should come down.

He's a well-respected arborist, but we love this tree and want to be sure that removal is necessary. But we love our house more and don't want the tree to come crashing down on it. I attempted to attach some pics the arborist took when he was up in the tree. The ones with the saw are to show how deep the hollow is. We're probably going to ask another arborist to give us a second opinion just to make sure, but I'd appreciate any opinions you may have. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 38865

View attachment 38866

View attachment 38867

View attachment 38868

View attachment 38869

elmnut

elmnut

ArboristSite Operative
Take it down, save some pieces for carving, plant a new tree for your birthday,anniversary,new baby,whatever, build new memories to share with family. You can even try to grow from a cutting of the tulip poplar, or seeds if you have some.

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
1. the limb over the house shows no signs of hollow. There does seem to be a slight crack at the base, but you can't tell from the pic whether it can be managed by reducing (shortening) the limb or cabling it.

2. The hollow with the handsaw in it only shows that the hollow is about 12" deep and maybe 4" across. Not enough data for this decision. The hollow began at an old branch wound. It has been growing strong woundwood around it for years.

Good on your arborist for taking the pictures. Better on you to get a second opinion from someone who can look at the entire tree objectively, and not as potential income from removal. YOu should expect to pay for assessment. Attached is one view of tree risk assessment.

hornett22

hornett22

Addicted to ArboristSite
you could always ............

live across the street and leave your house abandoned.then if it falls no one gets hurt and you can enjoy it a little while longer.

i'd just take it down though.