Does any one pour used motor oil on there stacked firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Around here there are plenty of people who pay for waste oil, so disposal is not an issue. I know of ten waste oil furnaces nearby, and I never see smoke or smell oil burning near them. Several right in town.

I would never pour waste oil on wood for burning. However I have monitored a friend's sucess with a waste oil drip system on his wood furnace. Seems much cleaner than the guys that are cutting up old tires and burning them at night in the furnace.

Come on fellas, dont hold back, let me know how you really feel.:msp_thumbup: My wife's friend brother was sayin' that's what he does. I guess I got my answer.:msp_razz: Besides, I'm on a well out here, and the most valuable thing around these parts is water. The '49ers dashed across my property from one river crossing to get to the next one as there is no water here, except what comes up from my well. 'Round these parts Mark Twain said so right " whiskeys for drinkin' and water is for fightin' over.

When I lived north of Madison, my neighbor had a OWB that he burned railroad ties in. When the wind was right, it'd about choke you to death. Pissed me off to no end. Blew me away that he never got complaints (or at least I never heard of any). Guys like him are the reason OWBs are getting banned.

I have an OWB and only wood goes in it. Short pieces of 2X4 and other leftover lumber? Sure. Tires, waste oil, RR ties? Not on your life!

I also don't buy into the, "It'll burn anything, including green wood" BS, either. Everything gets seasoned at least one year before it goes in mine.

Shops usually happily take waste oil. Where I used to work, we kept an IBC for oil out of our sprayers and floaters. When we got to 150 gallons, Jacobus Environmental Solutions would come, pump it out, and give us 40 cents a gallon.

Couple of winters back, the MIL. mentioned the practice in her usual sly way of getting around asking a direct question.

She mentioned one of her sisters(there's 9 of 'em, and all Jackape raised) doing this, to get a hotter fire out of less wood.

Which when translated, means she was talking with a certain sister, that knows everything there is to know about everything, and she was considering yet another hair brained Jackape inspired scheme to get something for nothing.

That particular sister has burned down TWO Houses in the last 20 years, and had a hell of a scare with CO poisoning all 8 living with her in another.

I told her it would ruin her really pretty and expensive Soapstone stove, and might burn the damn house down if the fumes don't kill her. But I know damn well she tried it already, because I could smell it on the damn woodpile, and found the half empty old Milk jug with some really nasty old oil in it.

It took several days before the refinery stench faded. God knows how bad it was in the house the day before we visited.
Just friggin stupid.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

that would just make a huge mess, most people dont like getting pitch on there hands, who would want oil all over there hands/gloves, and all over there wheelbarrow and all inside there woodbox in the house. just stupid.

Several people have told me that they dispose of their used motor oil by pouring it ontop of there stacked, dry firewood. Supposed to increase the btu value of the firewood. Whaddya' think? :msp_confused:

I don't pour it on my firewood stacks, but I do use it to start fires in the outside firepit.Not politically correct these days, but still legal were I live.Doesn't smoke any more than pitch pine.

Not raggin you FT, you asked what'd I think? I still think its stupid. There is no need, and its preventable pollution. There are so many ways to recycle oil now, it tragic people are not doing so.

(I had to hunt real hard to find oil that wasn't manufactured with 100% virgin, so many options on the shelf at Advance/Discount Auto with XX% recycled in it. )

I just recycled a 15 gallon barrel I bought specifically to store my oil till I had enough. With all my vehicles, and equipment, I use alot of motor oil. Probably 35 gallons, and I'm not running a business.... I also usually put old stale gas in the recycleable oils.

I need a filter crusher, I aim to fabricate one from a bottle jack, just need some c-channel and a HF jack.

Hunny " stove needs wood",

" sure dear, will just go get some from the pile"

" wtf if that black stuff all over the carpet!"

" just some old oil"

Could see my marrage lasting about as long as the next peice of wood in the stove!!

No, have it backwards. Take a 55 gallon drum of used motor oil and submerged your firewood in that. Just like an oreo, leave it in there for a few days to soak up the oil. Pull it out, shake dry and repeat. :dizzy:

Can't imagine the smell in your house if you got a heavy downdraft. :msp_w00t:

I am going to sell my used motor oil on CL as firewood seasoning.

used oil from the incomplete combustion emitted into the atmosphere heavy metals and dioxins are all that is carcinogenic
# for the proper and complete oil combustion temperatures required min 650 c

Several people have told me that they dispose of their used motor oil by pouring it ontop of there stacked, dry firewood. Supposed to increase the btu value of the firewood. Whaddya' think? :msp_confused:

Man I thought using waste oil as chain lube was the dumbest thing I ever heard. This one has moved to the top of the list. I wonder if the environmentalists are all over this yet. And so many people are fighting over "carbon credits" and " carbon footprints" ect.

So dumb only a politician could do it....

Lots of things being posted in this thread based on personal bias and unsubstantiated opinion.

Yep, I pour used motor oil on firewood stacks… normally on stacks reserved for the shop burner, but some has ended up in the house before.
  1. It does not make a mess; in a surprisingly short time the oil soaks into the wood and does not leave an oily residue on your hands (or whatever).
  2. It does not pollute the ground; I’ve never yet found “oil stained” wood below the half-way point of a 5-foot stack. Cripes! Ya’ probably spill more oil in a year than would ever reach the ground through your firewood stacks.
  3. It does not stink; within a few days the volatiles evaporate out and the smell is gone.
  4. It does not bellow clouds of black smoke when burned; soaked into the wood it burns pretty darn well, and hot, without any noticeable smoke, soot, smell, or whatnot.
  5. The wood on top of the stack(s) gets the most oil soaked, and sheds rain water like a duck’s back.

So there ya’ have it.

Lots of things being posted in this thread based on personal bias and unsubstantiated opinion.

Yep, I pour used motor oil on firewood stacks… normally on stacks reserved for the shop burner, but some has ended up in the house before.
  1. It does not make a mess; in a surprisingly short time the oil soaks into the wood and does not leave an oily residue on your hands (or whatever).
  2. It does not pollute the ground; I’ve never yet found “oil stained” wood below the half-way point of a 5-foot stack. Cripes! Ya’ probably spill more oil in a year than would ever reach the ground through your firewood stacks.
  3. It does not stink; within a few days the volatiles evaporate out and the smell is gone.
  4. It does not bellow clouds of black smoke when burned; soaked into the wood it burns pretty darn well, and hot, without any noticeable smoke, soot, smell, or whatnot.
  5. The wood on top of the stack(s) gets the most oil soaked, and sheds rain water like a duck’s back.

So there ya’ have it.

Well that should get the party started.... :)

I wouldn't burn it in a fire pit either, that would be horribly wasteful... much better put to use as a heating source.
Much better than recycling it?

People do a lot of stuff, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back