Does any one pour used motor oil on there stacked firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...this "waste oil" it seems to have the same list of "cures" ..or uses. I guess they just skip the carcinogens...

For as long as I can remember used motor oil, or (so called) "waste oil" has been used as a wood preservative out-on-the-farm... wooden shed floors, hay wagon boards, bridge planks, manure spreader floors, even the top of my shooting bench is protected from the elements with waste oil. It's used for starting fires, oil burning heaters, dust control, lubricating gate hinges and drive chains open to the elements on stationary machinery. Cut with a bit of kerosine, it works pretty good as a penetrating oil for loosening rusted parts.
Carcinogens? Yeah, probably not a good idea to drink the stuff, or swim in it... but I ain't gonna' do that. Out here in-the-sticks we don't "waste" anything, we were recycling decades before city dwelling tree-huggers ever thought of it... and now they have the gall to tell us we're not doing it correctly?? Well, I've got a couple words for them... but every time I use those words on AS I get sent to the "hole" for a few days.

For as long as I can remember used motor oil, or (so called) "waste oil" has been used as a wood preservative out-on-the-farm... wooden shed floors, hay wagon boards, bridge planks, manure spreader floors, even the top of my shooting bench is protected from the elements with waste oil. It's used for starting fires, oil burning heaters, dust control, lubricating gate hinges and drive chains open to the elements on stationary machinery. Cut with a bit of kerosine, it works pretty good as a penetrating oil for loosening rusted parts.
Carcinogens? Yeah, probably not a good idea to drink the stuff, or swim in it... but I ain't gonna' do that. Out here in-the-sticks we don't "waste" anything, we were recycling decades before city dwelling tree-huggers ever thought of it... and now they have the gall to tell us we're not doing it correctly?? Well, I've got a couple words for them... but every time I use those words on AS I get sent to the "hole" for a few days.
LOL - you tell us all how it's done out in the country, cause you must be the only country boy here......

It wasn't that long ago when people thought asbestos had many uses too. Would you use all that oil if it was clean ? And you had to pay for it ? Oil and used oil are not the same thing. It it America still and you can do as you will.

What about ground water contamination?

We used to mix some in with some hog fat and beef tallow, made a great grease ( basically the same today just more refined). I remember in the 50's and 60's when they were building all them subdivisions where every third house was the same, the tanker trucks going around and wetting down the gravel roads with something akin to thinned out motor oil, didn't really smell like kerosene, more like thined out tar. made a mess of your shoes also, if you were fortunate enough to have them. ( shoes were for School and Church) in the winter had boots that pulled over the shoes dang things were for ever springing leaks. yep the good ol days.

Does any one pour used motor oil on there stacked firewood?

was that a joke?

Originally Posted by BrokenToys
One gallon of used motor oil provides the same 2.5 quarts of lubricating oil as 42 gallons of crude oil.

That is actually the most interesting thing I have read in this entire thread.
And I didn't think it was misleading at all.

What about blacktop roads??? I always wondered what that black liquid was they mixed in with the limestone to pave roads with... Then it all washes away and breaks up over time... :msp_wink:

Why Shouldn't You Put Motor Oil in a Wood Stove? | eHow.com

Considered adding a waste oil drip to my first wood furnace and when I was doing research about how efficient and legal it was I came across a tech support engineer at Rezor who talked me out of it.

In short he told me that oil that isn't burnt properly in high heat and pressure system truly isn't being burnt.. just broke down in to molecules and broadcast out your chimney.

The link above pretty much puts what he told me into common terms any old dumb-ass Tool&Die maker like me can understand.

Why Shouldn't You Put Motor Oil in a Wood Stove? | eHow.com

Considered adding a waste oil drip to my first wood furnace and when I was doing research about how efficient and legal it was I came across a tech support engineer at Rezor who talked me out of it.

In short he told me that oil that isn't burnt properly in high heat and pressure system truly isn't being burnt.. just broke down in to molecules and broadcast out your chimney.

The link above pretty much puts what he told me into common terms any old dumb-ass Tool&Die maker like me can understand.

That's an interesting read... I wonder how hot the stuff has to get to "afterburn" Or incinerate completely???

Speaking of groundwater contamination, I remember as a kid spending some time each summer on a lake in N WI. Several times each week the county drove by spraying down the gravel and dirt roads with waste oil,, you could smell it for miles. I am certainly not advocating this, but at this was only twenty years ago a common practice around here. When you think about all the people used to this attitude, burning it seems no worse.

Recycling has come to mean burning fuel and time driving around to 'save the earth'. Not that we shouldn't recycle, but I cannot argue with spidey considering how much worse waste and pollution I see daily as 'accepted'. Legal is a whole different argument in right vs wrong:)

Bob, I don't want to fight about this- save it for E vs W :hmm3grin2orange:

The heat got to me today- forgot to mention that the amish farmers around here like the waste oil too,, aside from burning and treating wood, I have seen hogs slathered in the stuff the night before they are sent market - cleans em up good I guess.

Never ate much pork since seeing that happen at several farms :msp_w00t:

What about blacktop roads??? I always wondered what that black liquid was they mixed in with the limestone to pave roads with... Then it all washes away and breaks up over time... :msp_wink:

the amish farmers around here like the waste oil too... I have seen hogs slathered in the stuff the night before they are sent market - cleans em up good I guess.

Never ate much pork since seeing that happen at several farms :msp_w00t:

These quotes, and the whole thread in general brings to mind a line from the True Grit movie:

"You must pay for everything in this world; one way and another."

Lots of things being posted in this thread based on personal bias and unsubstantiated opinion.

Yep, I pour used motor oil on firewood stacks… normally on stacks reserved for the shop burner, but some has ended up in the house before.
  1. It does not make a mess; in a surprisingly short time the oil soaks into the wood and does not leave an oily residue on your hands (or whatever).
  2. It does not pollute the ground; I’ve never yet found “oil stained” wood below the half-way point of a 5-foot stack. Cripes! Ya’ probably spill more oil in a year than would ever reach the ground through your firewood stacks.
  3. It does not stink; within a few days the volatiles evaporate out and the smell is gone.
  4. It does not bellow clouds of black smoke when burned; soaked into the wood it burns pretty darn well, and hot, without any noticeable smoke, soot, smell, or whatnot.
  5. The wood on top of the stack(s) gets the most oil soaked, and sheds rain water like a duck’s back.

So there ya’ have it.

Have you ever seen 1 drop of oil hit water or wet ground? In 5 min there is a large oil film on the water. When the water sheds of the oiled wood do you think its not carrying some oil with it to the ground and down.
Whitey, you seem to have alot of knowledge of a lot of things, although a little pig headed. But this time sir, I think the pig head is burried deep up the arse. synthetic wont soak in. just run of and down till it hits the water table. Just because people did things in the past not knowing the facts, does not mean now that we have new information its ok to keep doing it.

Bob, I don't want to fight about this- save it for E vs W :hmm3grin2orange:

:msp_biggrin: Nope, no fighting over this. E vs W can always find more interesting things to argue over...bar length, bore cuts, hard wood, all the usual stuff.

On the subject of pouring waste oil on your wood pile, those that want to and think it's okay...will.

I think I'll keep schlepping mine down to the recycle center.

I figure that there's enough crap going into our aquifer already without me adding anything to it.

Last edited:
These quotes, and the whole thread in general brings to mind a line from the True Grit movie:

Unfortunately, we've been remiss in paying our tab for too long......

Yup...exactly right. The only problem is, it won't be us that does the paying. It will be our kids and our grandkids who have to stand the bill for our foolishness.

If we poison our water and foul our air we're not leaving them much of a world.

That doesn't seem quite fair.

Anyone remember Times Beach?

And don't forget Love Canal. Hooker chemical (I not making the name up) dumped dioxin on the site and some genius thought it would by O.K. to build a developement there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back