Does any one pour used motor oil on there stacked firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL - you tell us all how it's done out in the country, cause you must be the only country boy here......
Country boy?? Listen up Pennsylvania, I eat country boys for lunch… LOL.

Have you ever seen 1 drop of oil hit water or wet ground? In 5 min there is a large oil film on the water. When the water sheds of the oiled wood do you think its not carrying some oil with it to the ground and down.
Well show me the proof it is… or makes a difference if it does. A little film floating on top of water can be seen draining from any stack of wood, oiled or not… because trees contain natural oils, some more than others. Some bleeding-heart opinion ain’t any kind of proof in my world. Cripes man… WE PUMP THE OIL OUT OF THE GROUND!!!
Whitey, you seem to have alot of knowledge of a lot of things, although a little pig headed. But this time sir, I think the pig head is burried deep up the arse.
Pig headed ain’t the word I use… but read my profile, you ain’t come up with any sort of revelation in that statement.

Spidey, you keep talking like oil and USED MOTOR oil are the same thing...some of us see a clear ( pun intended ) difference between the two.
It is fun jabbin at 'cha though...
Yeah, I know… fun.

I know the difference between the two, but these discussions, or arguments become so charged with emotion and misinformation it’s hard to remain… composed. Take for example the post by Mac88, “Anyone remember Times Beach?” Well, Times Beach doesn’t even belong in this thread… the dioxin contamination of Times Beach did not come from used motor oil proper, rather the waste oil sprayed on the roads for dust control had been itself contaminated. The waste hauler was mixing toxic waste from a chemical company with the used oil… that toxic waste contained dioxin levels believed to be as much as 2000 times higher than the levels found in Agent Orange. Times Beach was an industrial toxic waste issue, not a used (waste) oil issue. What the hell does that have to do with dumping a little used motor oil on a wood pile??

Now, I’m fully aware that burning used oil can create dioxins, depending on the temperature of combustion and the contents of the used oil (but still thousands of times less than the levels of Times Beach). Basically, if the combustion is belching black smoke, the chances are high for dioxin creation. But I’ve already said I don’t get black smoke from firewood that’s had used oil poured over it and allowed to sit for weeks or months… and if you’re burning in a stove with secondary combustion?? I can assure you the barrel where I burn my household trash pumps out more dioxins in one year than all the used oil I ever burned. Heck, a campfire creates dioxins…

OK, so there’s my Times Beach/dioxin argument. But the thing is, if I tried to mount an argument for every ill-conceived notion, or totally unrelated comment that gets brought into threads like this I’d be typing until next year. I get to the point where I just toss my arms up in the air, and my comments tend to look like they’ve gone-off-the-reservation… when in fact it’s the prior off-the-reservation comments that put me there.

what about alll the calcium townships pour on the gravel roads in the summer to keep the dust down?
all that urea, calcium, salt in the winter?
pesticides on the front lawn to keep the weeds down because the homeowner is too lazy to pick them out.
is motor oil that much worse?

OK, so there’s my Times Beach/dioxin argument. But the thing is, if I tried to mount an argument for every ill-conceived notion, or totally unrelated comment that gets brought into threads like this I’d be typing until next year. I get to the point where I just toss my arms up in the air, and my comments tend to look like they’ve gone-off-the-reservation… when in fact it’s the prior off-the-reservation comments that put me there.

This has NOTHING to do with this debate but rather some advice. I say this with no malice whatsoever. Your posts do tend to come across like we should all stand up and say "Spidey has spoken so it must be so". Ease up stud.
And just because Gandaddy and pappy have been doing this or that for 80 years doesn't mean it's a proper or good thing. What they have been doing for 80 years may not hurt a hell of a lot but that doesn't mean it's the best way.

Your posts do tend to come across like we should all stand up and say "Spidey has spoken so it must be so". Ease up stud.

Hmmmmmmmm.... That's a perception issue that falls on the reader. I've said dozens of times here on AS that I don't expect anyone to take what I say, or what anyone says as "fact" until they do their own (non-Google search) investigation and conformation. Make your own conclusions... but, you do yourself no favor when you make an uninformed, or ill-informed conclusion. And, uninformed, or ill-informed arguments are detrimental to an adult discussion.

I use used engine oil for lots of stuff.Waste not want not.Makes a good wood treatment, burns hot with just a little air added to it and kills mange on all those dogs that people throw out in front of my house.I have a long steel trough that I put my used oil in.I add to that home made charcoal and soak peeled pine post in it.Take them out in about a month let them drip dry over the trough and presto, a lifetime post.Don't like it, don't do it.Go buy some.

And I would still like to know where you can still buy strike anywhere matches.

my comments tend to look like they’ve gone-off-the-reservation… when in fact it’s the prior off-the-reservation comments that put me there.

Spidey, come in out of the sun and have a couple beers. You're starting to look like you're overheated. :msp_biggrin:

I use used engine oil for lots of stuff.Waste not want not.Makes a good wood treatment, burns hot with just a little air added to it and kills mange on all those dogs that people throw out in front of my house.I have a long steel trough that I put my used oil in.I add to that home made charcoal and soak peeled pine post in it.Take them out in about a month let them drip dry over the trough and presto, a lifetime post.Don't like it, don't do it.Go buy some.

And I would still like to know where you can still buy strike anywhere matches.

Landers Hardware-Bangor
Kellog Hardware-Hartford

And to save ya the drive.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...where+matches&sprefix=Strike+anywhere,aps,314

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Spidey, come in out of the sun and have a couple beers. You're starting to look like you're overheated. :msp_biggrin:

Yeah, no kiddin'!
I just got back to the office from spending most of the day on a concrete parking lot installing two-way radios in Semi Tractors... it's 101[sup]o[/sup] and cloudless out there today. Thank the good maker he provided me with a stiff breeze or might have died.

Without a doubt, ice-cold Budweiser is gonna' taste mighty fine... in about 1.5 hours.

Yeah, no kiddin'!
I just got back to the office from spending most of the day on a concrete parking lot installing two-way radios in Semi Tractors... it's 101[sup]o[/sup] and cloudless out there today. Thank the good maker he provided me with a stiff breeze or might have died.

Without a doubt, ice-cold Budweiser is gonna' taste mighty fine... in about 1.5 hours.

Yea, that would be a hot job in this weather. I'm assuming they're local haul, and probably not equipped with aux power/ac for when the engine's not running. Relief is on the horizon.

Several people have told me that they dispose of their used motor oil by pouring it ontop of there stacked, dry firewood. Supposed to increase the btu value of the firewood. Whaddya' think? :msp_confused:

It cant be good but if you let it drip in there. The local zip lube burns it in a built furnace. That's more cantrolled of a burn. IMO.

There is the strike it anywhere match. Cant see why they would have to do away with it.

Landers Hardware-Bangor
Kellog Hardware-Hartford

And to save ya the drive.
Amazon.com: strike anywhere matches

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks, I figured they was outlawed everywhere.I love how they do that stuff.You run out of something, go to the store to resupply and find out then that they "quit making" whatever it is you needed, because someone figured out a way to make meth out of it.They did the same with some rat poisons and cold medicines.Just 'quit making it'.And it always seems to be the stuff that works the best.

I wish we still had stores like that 'round here.
The last one I knew of anywhere was the one my grandparents owned in a tiny Iowa river town, called "The Pioneer Store"... they sold every thing from eggs and fresh cut meat to shoes and saddles to hardware and cast iron cookware to guns and ammo to........
They were vary religious though, the only two things you couldn't buy were tobacco and alcoholic beverages.

I buy my "strike anywhere" matches at an "old style" hardware store in a small town just south of me. I love that store, wooden floor and selves, and the door strikes a cow bell when ya' walk in... the shelves are so packed that only they know where all the stuff is, I'd bet they still have a spittoon for sale in there.

Country boy?? Listen up Pennsylvania, I eat country boys for lunch… LOL.

Well show me the proof it is… or makes a difference if it does. A little film floating on top of water can be seen draining from any stack of wood, oiled or not… because trees contain natural oils, some more than others. Some bleeding-heart opinion ain’t any kind of proof in my world. Cripes man… WE PUMP THE OIL OUT OF THE GROUND!!!

Pig headed ain’t the word I use… but read my profile, you ain’t come up with any sort of revelation in that statement.

Yes we do pump oil out of the ground. And poop comes out of our arse, but I certainly am in no hurry to rub it on my skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back