Does anyone else have a soft spot for a 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's my favorite cap design... wonder why they are no longer available. old style orange caps with a flange

stihl cases.JPG

different strokes for different folk I guess. First thing I did when I got my 026 was ask if the fuel mixture and bar oil caps could be switched out. What do you guys find advantageous about having to use a scrench to loosen and tighten the caps?

Love the old style 026.

I much prefer the old caps. I haven't needed to use the screench to remove them if I don't use the screench to tighten them and they never leak on my 15+ year old 026. I have the flippy cap on the BR-550 blower and it is the only flaw in the design as far as I'm concerned. I have managed to get the cap in wrong once before and it took me 5 minutes to figure out what was wrong. My poor old dad borrowed it a couple of weeks ago, managed to get the cap in wrong too and ended up wearing most of the fuel on his back. Stihl reinvented the wheel on these caps IMO.

What does that orange ring do, and what's the pointer on it?

Is it like the cap on a childproof medicine bottle?

Flippy caps are a piece of brilliant industrial design, imo.

my fav 50cc class saw is an 026
like it better than a MS 260 .... just sold a MS 260 and kept my 026.

much prefer the old style gas/oil caps vs new style

I like the old style caps better too..Get too much in a hurry and think you got the new style caps on good then end up with a lap full of oil or gas....

I have an 026 and a MS290. I prefer the 026 caps myself. There are many of days where I'll use the 026 with 16'' blade before I use the MS290.

I like the old style caps better too..Get too much in a hurry and think you got the new style caps on good then end up with a lap full of oil or gas....

Yeah, just dumped the oil out of the 440 by accident the other day. My vote for the old caps.

orange pointer gives extra leverage when untightening.

flippy caps are junk! but that's just personal opinion...
perfect example of a solution solving a problem that never existed.

they break all the time... if they are so brilliant, then why does it stump some people?

never heard of anyone ever getting stumped by a std screw cap vs times where the climber has to climb down, just to show groundies how flippy cap operates...

if they are so bad, why does new MS 660 still have std screw caps?

Last edited:
orange pointer gives extra leverage when untightening.

flippy caps are junk! but that's just personal opinion...
perfect example of a solution solving a problem that never existed.

they break all the time... if they are so brilliant, then why does it stump some people?

never heard of anyone ever getting stumped by a std screw cap vs times where the climber has to climb down, just to show groundies how flippy cap operates...

if they are so bad, why does new MS 660 still have std screw caps?

The ms170's and ms180's have them too.

They are nice when you dont have a srench with you on hand,,but who wouldnt??? I found out the hard way if you dont have them just right you will think they are tight,,and me being in a hurry oneday,,,dumped about all the fuel down my leg,,,on my crotch...and yes,,I was pissed at myself,,and the flippy caps....

I am so happy with my 024AVS, it is the saw I grab first and use more then the rest combined. When the cylinder finally wears out I am going to turn it into a 024/026 for the extra 6 cc's. 16" bar with RM chain is just about perfect and shockingly fast for an old saw. I am afraid to touch the exhaust on this saw because it is just so good I don't want to mess it up. The only issue is the air filter needing to be cleaned so often.

I have to agree that the new style caps SUCK! I have gotten used to them but they are harder to start than the older caps and take more time to put back on. I think Stihl took a huge step backwards with these caps. I can get them back on but it stumps a lot of my ground crew. I have had to get down out of the tree to put the cap back on my 200T because no one on the ground could get it back on. This is not limited to 1 or two buffoons working on the ground, there is only one guy that works with me besides myself who can get the gas cap back on the saw. Plus there have been a few instances where the ground help doesn't get the oil cap back on the saw correctly and I end up wearing bar oil for the rest of the day. I had zero instances of this happening with the older style caps. If your in the business making money, it's a real drag when you have to slow down production to show someone how to put a gas cap on a saw.

BTW 046, had a chance to put that 260 through some wood the day before yesterday. It's eating wood! Two pulls to start it, 1 on choke and one on run. It runs great! It's going to be very handy to have when I need to go to something bigger than my 200 in a tree. Great power to weight ratio.

Not to stir up trouble here, but my 026 was a major PITA. I had to clean the air filter every time I filled the gas tank and needed to constantly re-adjust the carb.

Just my luck

I like the flippy caps better and have never had a problem with one. I think a good bit of advice to people who are having problems is to put the cap on and turn it out slightly like you were loosening it and then tighten it as it allows the threads to like up before they torque it. Most likely the people having problems are a bit ham fisted and are using too much force which is causing binding.

I don't see how ya'll are having trouble with the flippys, I love 'em.:D

LOL!!! I understand,,but have you ever seen a :monkey: doing a football...Seen way too many people fumble and try to put them on for the first time...

LOL!!! I understand,,but have you ever seen a :monkey: doing a football...Seen way too many people fumble and try to put them on for the first time...

Hahaha, they don't seem any harder to open/close than the old style caps to me. Line up the slots and twist, ready to :chainsaw:.

I haven't used my 026 much. I picked it up used about a month ago but I am already getting attached to it.

Latest posts

Back