does anyone else have dealer issues?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to make it easier on them you should come in with part numbers off the IPL, you're not paying the guy to sit at the computer and if it's taking him a long time to sit and sift through the cut sheets they're not going to be any more likely to help you out or do you a favor

I call a big BS to that. Why does one dealer stock and order with ease, and some other one's act like you're bothering them when you come in and ask for something they're not making $100 from. What happens when you break something out in the woods. We're not all Ted Nugent and we can take our lap top in the field with us. What if Joe Homeowner comes in and doesn't know how to find a part number.

Some of these dealers should take they're manufacturers signs down and see how life would be as an independent. I'm really lucky because there are good dealers for just about every name with in an hour of me. I have an Echo Jonseed Snapper Ariens dealer 3 minutes from me. I never heard him complain once about someone bringing in a Home Depot saw or mower. He knows how to sell!!!!

Ditto for me. Called local Stihl & Husky dealer for Zama RB-69 or GND-39 carb. kit did not have either one. I get this every time. I even give PN's. Called before for RB-100 did not have either. I don't know why I even call them. Closest other dealer is 1 hr. roundtrip. He has parts though. Shep

If you want to make it easier on them you should come in with part numbers off the IPL, you're not paying the guy to sit at the computer and if it's taking him a long time to sit and sift through the cut sheets they're not going to be any more likely to help you out or do you a favor

I call a big BS to that. Why does one dealer stock and order with ease, and some other one's act like you're bothering them when you come in and ask for something they're not making $100 from. What happens when you break something out in the woods. We're not all Ted Nugent and we can take our lap top in the field with us. What if Joe Homeowner comes in and doesn't know how to find a part number.

Some of these dealers should take they're manufacturers signs down and see how life would be as an independent. I'm really lucky because there are good dealers for just about every name with in an hour of me. I have an Echo Jonseed Snapper Ariens dealer 3 minutes from me. I never heard him complain once about someone bringing in a Home Depot saw or mower. He knows how to sell!!!!

I'm not saying you should have to come in with every part number. I'm saying if you're deep in a saw project and need several parts and are on a site like this and can use a computer you might as well come in with the part numbers. It's only going to help both of you. If he's saying the guy spent half an hour on the computer looking for parts, that's a lot of time for a shop if they're only going to net $10 or something off the parts.

If you were a shop, would you spend $1000 on a set of parts if you could reasonably only count on about 10% of it selling in the year?

The stihl dealers around here are much better at having in stock parts. They've had pistons and rings for some saws in stock so no waiting. The husky dealers seem to stock mower parts and not saw parts. I went to one and they didn't have an air filter for a 372 in stock.

Dropped by my local husky dealer the other day, to pick up a sprocket for the 372. (quick and easy, no waiting) Parts guy tells me "We don't keep sprockets in stock, cause they aren't a wear item".

He then goes on a rant on how he can't understand why people bring their huskies to me for repair.

From a parts availability standpoint,

Find a dealer, if possible, whose business is geared to loggers and tree services. They are his big customers, not the homeowner looking for line for his weed whacker or a lawn mower blade. He has to keep these guys up and running or lose a major customer so he is going to have parts inventory because he needs to service these guys. These same dealers almost always have a huge junk pile, or treasure chest, depending on your point of view, they can go to for scarce or obsolete inventory.

Remember. it's a business and every part is dollars and floor space tied up in repair inventory that may take 2 to 3 years or longer to recoup. Small inexpensive parts usually aren't an issue, but stocking older covers, tank assemblies etc can tie up a lot of cash the dealer may need.

Take Care

From a parts availability standpoint,

Find a dealer, if possible, whose business is geared to loggers and tree services. They are his big customers, not the homeowner looking for line for his weed whacker or a lawn mower blade. He has to keep these guys up and running or lose a major customer so he is going to have parts inventory because he needs to service these guys. These same dealers almost always have a huge junk pile, or treasure chest, depending on your point of view, they can go to for scarce or obsolete inventory.

Remember. it's a business and every part is dollars and floor space tied up in repair inventory that may take 2 to 3 years or longer to recoup. Small inexpensive parts usually aren't an issue, but stocking older covers, tank assemblies etc can tie up a lot of cash the dealer may need.

Take Care

Good points. Money is tight for those businesses, too. I know our local hardware store has NLA items for the Jonsereds of the 70's and 80's. Still sitting there and they haven't sold anything (except to me) for 10 years at least! Sure didn't make any money on those parts! Some are even being made in the aftermarket, so the NLA costs much more.

Howdy,
You have to maintain your inventory with your head, not your heart. If you're not turning your inventory fast enough, a lost sale is easier on the bottom line than dusty parts.
Regards
Gregg

The stihl dealer I bought my MS390 from is very poorly stocked. The most he carries in store is MS290's and down. And at most 2 stihl blowers&2 stihl weedwackers. He kind of sucks because he DESPERATELY needs to hire mechanics. He has an immense repair buisness that is always way, way, behind. But he did fix my MS390 oiler within a few days when the oiler failed after a week's ownership. I'm kind of glad he doesn't carry bigger stihls. I'd rather not drive past every day knowing a 660 was in there calling my name.

It's all around us

I too have had my share of frustrations about parts not in stock, but that has become more common and will only increase. I'm in the motorcycle business and the hobby end of that too, and dealerships are now stocking fewer and fewer bike parts. Those parts represent cash that is tied up in a box and many of these guys are struggling to just hang on and stay in business. Similar scenario for our saw dealers. So yeah, it's frustrating at times but have a little compassion for these dealers. Would you rather they went belly up and you had to go searching farther afield?

Olyeller

My local Husky dealer just plain sucks. They also carry Stihl, they are a bunch of babbling idiots, I don't think any of them has ever run a saw, it is part of a chain operation. Most are kids just out of HS, being paid minimum wage. It is a complete joke. I'm to the point I despise walking in the door. Last week the punk that sells saws told me I was crazy when I told him the 372xp and xpw where gone and they were lucky to have a few of the xp's in stock.
He thought they were still making them, but it didn't matter since they didn't sell anyway.lol

Thank God there is another Stihl shop in town,be open since the early 70's, the tech there doesn't even look at the cmptr. Just walks over to a massive wall of old cardboard boxes and gets the part you need. If it is an old saw, they have a whole bldg. with old parts saws in it, he'll tell you about where it is/ what self and you can go remove what you need.

The more posts I read in this thread, the more I want to get in the truck and drive over to my dealer and give him a big hug!!!

My dealer carries a huge inventory of common parts and dang near all parts (at least one) for every current saw in his line-up.
What obscure things I've asked for that he didn't have on hand were in his shop within 2 days with one exception and that was less than a week!
He has even found me numerous NLA parts for my old Poulans by knowing and networking with other dealers that have been in business since those old saws were new.
He is a factory authorized repair center and parts dealer for Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, Poulan and Echo as well as Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki, Tecumseh and a host of others.

And I will GUARANTEE you that if my only saw was needing a part that he didn't have, he would say "Here, use one of my demo saws until your part comes in"!!!

Mike

I have three dealers I commonly use, and the only issue I have between them all is that the rest of the dealers out there aren't half as good. It should be noted that one is a well-known AS sponsor, one a well-known non-sponsor, and the third a local outfit who are occasionally more convenient for common parts.

There is also a local dealer who "knows" they're going to get all of the Gov't orders so they offer absolutely nothing in the way of service or promptness. I make a point of steering business away from them every chance I get.

As others have suggested -- I pull the part numbers from the IPL, and fax them a list of part numbers and quantities and ask them to provide pricing and stock status. This also allows them to do the computer checks when the parts counter is not backed up with their commercial accounts.

If there is something that needs to be ordered I give them my CC over the phone and they call me with my ordered parts arrive and the other stocked parts are in a bag waiting for me when I get there. Takes me longer to drive there and back then it does to double check everything and pay for the remaining items.

I understand your frustration -- you want to get the saw fixed and use it, maybe a little pre planning can help in that regard.

you know i really wasnt mad about them not having the carb, or the outside felling dog, or the clutch drum assembly (they say is NLA), but the bolts!! no bolts!! thats what mad me the most mad. the 372xp is one of the most popular saws and no parts on the shelves for it! not even an air filter!!! not to mention two of my saws have been sitting there almost a week to be leak tested (i havent got a pressure/vac tester yet) and they havent even made an attempt to get them done. i have wood to cut!! its not time to mow the grass yet. the other dealer i went to today had all the bolts atleast and is going to look through all the junk saws for the other parts i need, which is greatly appreciated. BTW i did take part numbers with me.

A word to the wise.......which I'm afraid doesn't apply to many posters in this thread. :dizzy:

There are some simple rules in business that guys have to follow to stay in business. A very important one regarding stocking parts is that a part has to sell at least 3 times a year in order to justify stocking it. I still get people stopping in my store looking for some old Cub Cadet part that I've NEVER sold. Some folks think you should have every part ever made, but that's simply unrealistic.

In evaluating saw dealers, look around the store. A guy that is just a homeowner type shop, and hardly even stocks the pro saws is going to be pretty weak on his parts inventory. A guy like me that has a healthy pro and serious user business is going to have a ton of parts around. My guys are going to need plenty of it, and they wouldn't be coming to me if I didn't have it. I stock a lot of parts, because I sell a lot of parts. It's not just over the counter sales; you need to have parts in stock in order to keep repair work flowing through the shop.

But that inventory is geared towards the pro models, I sell a dozen 372 tanks and 20+ top handles a year, but I would never stock those parts for something like a 142 because the demand isn't there. Same applies to non-current pro models like 288's. Just not that many out there. But they are only a day away, and I order from Husky 3 times a week. We're not talking an organ donar program, we're talking chainsaws. You'll survive if you have to wait a day or two.

Even I wouldn't have scored 100% from the original post. For instance, I stock all of the external hardware, cause that's what guys use and lose. But something like the carb bolts are simply not something that can wear out or ever get lost. So it's not a part to stock. Same would apply to cylinder bolts. Guys here on the site are generally far more capable in doing their own work than the average Joe, and when you get deep into a project, you're likely to need a few parts that hardly anyone is going to stock.

As an example, when the OP gets into that bottom end rebuild, you should plan on ordering seals and bearings ahead of time. Bottom end rebuilds are hardly ever done in shops anymore since they are so costly time wise, so parts for such jobs are not likely to be in stock at even the best shops.

One thing that makes me cringe is when some dealers bang their customers for a shipping charge for a part that is riding with the store's regular parts order. That is indeed a ripoff. BTW, I only have to hit $100 and my Husky parts orders are freight FREE. A smaller dealer might have to hit $250 if he didn't participate in the pre-season parts program. Keep that in mind the next time a dealer tries to wack you with a shipping charge for a small part.

A special order is one that is placed solely for a partuicular customer, and in that case the customer should cover the shipping.

There are some simple rules in business that guys have to follow to stay in business. A very important one regarding stocking parts is that a part has to sell at least 3 times a year in order to justify stocking it.

Very well put and said.

So when do we start a customer bashing thread? :msp_w00t:

this is the dealer that says husky doesnt sell saws in the US with epa mufflers, and what does most every new husky have.... epa muffler! so sorry if i have no faith in the dealer here, because they are ignorant. they carry the 372 fuel tank but no bolts, or air filters, or anything else that would normally be needed for a popular saw. they carry the whole husky line. i am not saying all dealers are like this by any means and i am not bashings any dealers on AS.

Back