Does Stihl have a spy on AS????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't doubt they take safety seriously. Probably nearly as seriously as not being held liable. Idiots or otherwise.
Let me tell you a story. A few weeks ago, a little old lady came in to the Depot and was wanting to look at lawn mowers. Our lawn mower display is about 6 feet off the ground, and she couldn't see them very well. We have flat carts for hauling heavy/bulky loads, and one of these carts was sitting in front of the mowers. Before I could say anything, she jumped up on a cart and was looking at the mowers.

Now, this lady had to be in her 70's or 80's, and although she was spry, she looked very frail. I had a tremor of terror as she did this as I could just see the cart lurching and her falling to the concrete and breaking her hip. As I thought of this, a simultaneous thought occurred that my ass was on the line for getting her off of that cart without her getting hurt. I asked her to get down, and she did with no problems. At this point I went and got a ladder that customers are allowed to use and she looked at the mowers with no further issues. My thoughts during and after this:

1. I did not want to see this little old lady get hurt
  2. I did not want to get my ass fired for letting her do something blatantly stupid
  3. I did not want to see the company on the line financially for what could easily have been a major disaster

These reasons and thoughts are all different, but they are inextricably linked. So, does it really matter if a company is worried about covering their ass more than actual safety? In my mind, no. The end result is the same.

I admit...its me.

But the only picked me because of my secret ninja skills. :smoking:

pyzamkick.jpg

Is that little skinny guy in the background really holding you up? Joe.

Has anybody taken a moment to consider that the actual spy STARTED this thread because he felt his identity was about to be compromised?:dizzy:

Let me tell you a story. A few weeks ago, a little old lady came in to the Depot and was wanting to look at lawn mowers. Our lawn mower display is about 6 feet off the ground, and she couldn't see them very well. We have flat carts for hauling heavy/bulky loads, and one of these carts was sitting in front of the mowers. Before I could say anything, she jumped up on a cart and was looking at the mowers.

Now, this lady had to be in her 70's or 80's, and although she was spry, she looked very frail. I had a tremor of terror as she did this as I could just see the cart lurching and her falling to the concrete and breaking her hip. As I thought of this, a simultaneous thought occurred that my ass was on the line for getting her off of that cart without her getting hurt. I asked her to get down, and she did with no problems. At this point I went and got a ladder that customers are allowed to use and she looked at the mowers with no further issues. My thoughts during and after this:

1. I did not want to see this little old lady get hurt
  2. I did not want to get my ass fired for letting her do something blatantly stupid
  3. I did not want to see the company on the line financially for what could easily have been a major disaster

These reasons and thoughts are all different, but they are inextricably linked. So, does it really matter if a company is worried about covering their ass more than actual safety? In my mind, no. The end result is the same.

Sounds like you did a fine job of obviating a potential traumatic event. One that seems to be an inherent liability in the dilatory way that Home Depot displays its merchandise. You, sir, are a model employee and your efforts to mitigate the risks posed by your employer are laudable.

As for the current line of conversation, you make a good overall point - although you expose yourself to the charge of shilling for Stihl's corporate front office. :) :clap:

yep, that's why i'm here!!!! just laying undercover for 3yrs until i was activated by my handler; today was the day.

guess you busted me!!!!!

LOL! A sleeper cell. Reminds me of that ring of Russian spies they just nabbed.

Next, your neighbor will be posting on here about how beautifully you tended to your hydrangea bushes.

LOL! A sleeper cell. Reminds me of that ring of Russian spies they just nabbed.

Next, your neighbor will be posting on here about how beautifully you tended to your hydrangea bushes.

shhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! i think that red-head had something for me. the way she looked at me when we were hacking the pentagon computers told the story!!!!

I still think Stihl is right about modifying saws. It seems most of the posts about saws that have suffered mechanical failure have all been modified in some way. I know I am not an expert, but I would say Stihl is. They have the capital, time, and knowledge to properly test saws. That is why I will not touch a cylinder that will be used on a working saw. However, modifying a muffler is not too bad as I feel that opening it up will not make that much more power, but can make the saw run a little cooler. Of course I do not have any test simulations proving this as fact. My uncle won a couple of the hydroplane nationals back in the 70's and the motors where modified, but where also disassembled and inspected between races.

Running a restricted stock modern day saw is not much different than stuffing a banana in your tail pipe. Lol.
The biggest critics of modded saws are those that have never ran one, or are simply afraid of them.
John

yep, that's why i'm here!!!! just laying undercover for 3yrs until i was activated by my handler; today was the day.

guess you busted me!!!!!

Awful lot of brand "H" in your sig for a spy. Just a decoy I guess.

i USED TO WORK FOR A STIHL DEALER AND i CAN HONESTLY TELL YOU THAT IF WE DID NOT MODIFY STIHLS NO ONE WOULD HAVE RAN EM. FROM THE FACTORY THEY ARE A GUTLESS WONDER IN COMPARISON TO SOME OF THE OTHERS. IT IS A WELL KNOWN FACT THAT THEY SIMPLY HAVE NO LOW END TORQUE. HUSQVARNA BLOWS EM AWAY IN THAT DEPARTMENT. THAT BEING SAID, IF A MODIFICATION IS DONE PROPERLY IT WILL ACTUALLY INCREASE LONGEVITY. I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT AS I HAVE WATCHED TIME AFTER TIME BOTH WAYS IN THE PRO INDUSTRY. THE PROBLEM WITH A GENERAL MODIFY IS MOST PEOPLE DO NOT PROPERLY TAPER THE INTERNAL CUTS INSIDE THE CYLINDER WALLS. THIS IN TURN WIL CAUSE RING CLIPPING AND YES WILL SHORTEN THE LIFE AND LONGEVITY. STIHL 084 MS880 SAWS ARE ABSOLUTE BLUBBERING WONDERS FROM THE SHELF. THEY BUILD TOO MUCH HEAT BECAUSE (A)THEY CANNOT GET ENOUGH AIR (B)THEY CANNOT RELEASE ENOUGH EXHAUST. IT IS NOT UNCOMMON TO MELT A MS880 OR AN 084 IF IT IS STOCK AND YOU ARE MILLING OR RUNNING IT IN CONSTANT WOOD FROM TANKFULL TO TANKFULL WITH NO BREAKS. WITH A HOLE SHOT FILTER SYSTEM AND AN EXTRA EXHAUST PORT IT TOTALLY CHANGES THE WAY THE SAW PERFORMS. WHO REALLY ARE THE EXPERTS? ARE THEY THE GUYS BEHIND THE PENCIL OR THE GUYS BEHIND THE SAW. I PERSONALLY THINK WE KNOW BEST WHAT MAKES A SAW ACTUALLY RUN TO OUR NEEDS. IF NOT, AND WE TRUST THE SO CALED EXPERTS, THEN WE ARE JUST PUPPETS ON A STRING! NO ONE PERSON KNOWS EVERYTHING AND NO ONE COMPANY SHOULD THINK THAT WAY AS THEY WILL BE DISSAPOINTED IN THE LONG RUN. I UNDERSTAND ALL OF THE RULES AND REGS BUT I ALSO UNDERSTAND MANY PEOPLES LIVES DEPEND ON THE PERFORMANCE OF THEIR MACHINE. PERFECT EXAMPLE IS MY COUSIN BOUGHT A BRAND NEW MS441 WHEN THEY CAME OUT AND THE END RESULT WAS HE BEAT IT OVER THE END OF A STUMP AT THE END OF THE DAY UNTIL IT WAS IN PEICES. THAT IS WHAT HE THOUGHT OF STIHLS SO CALLED EXPERTS ON THE STOCK MS441.

Ease up on the caps there buddy. Looks like you are yelling. It also makes it harder to read your post.

PERFECT EXAMPLE IS MY COUSIN BOUGHT A BRAND NEW MS441 WHEN THEY CAME OUT AND THE END RESULT WAS HE BEAT IT OVER THE END OF A STUMP AT THE END OF THE DAY UNTIL IT WAS IN PEICES. THAT IS WHAT HE THOUGHT OF STIHLS SO CALLED EXPERTS ON THE STOCK MS441.

why didnt he just sell it if he didnt like it?

PERFECT EXAMPLE IS MY COUSIN BOUGHT A BRAND NEW MS441 WHEN THEY CAME OUT AND THE END RESULT WAS HE BEAT IT OVER THE END OF A STUMP AT THE END OF THE DAY UNTIL IT WAS IN PEICES. THAT IS WHAT HE THOUGHT OF STIHLS SO CALLED EXPERTS ON THE STOCK MS441.

sounds like he's either got an uncontrollable temper or too much cash. either way, what's he doing with a saw in hand?:dizzy:

The Educational Forum Article date:April 1, 2007

"We've all seen them on TV--stock-modified or super-hot saws tearing through logs on shows like the Stihl Timbersports Series.

Although it may be tempting to tweak your chain saw to get more power, modifications like this for normal operations are dangerous, expensive, illegal and a deal-breaker for warranties.

"Some users try to boost engine power by making internal adjustments to the motor," said Tom Trebi, product information manager for Stihl Inc. "Instead, such changes result in reduced overall performance and can create safety hazards." "

I found part of this article on a subscription research website, but the date is listed as 3 years old. Did not want to pay the price to see the whole article. Sounds like the same thing to me.

Just for the record space, some of this article is untrue. If you need help finding out which part, my 3 year old would be glad to help. I think it is rather ironic that the author first points out that you will find modified Stihl saws on a series sponsored by Stihl and then quotes a Stihl representative saying that those results don't happen and recommends nobody should attempt modifications.:cheers:

Last edited:
Thinking of Modifying Your Equipment?
Think Again!
While it may be tempting to tweak your chain saw to get more power, modifications like this for normal operations are dangerous, expensive, illegal and a deal-breaker for warranties. So before you attempt those modifications, here are some things to remember:
Power modifications often result in increased noise level,
which can be a violation to ANSI and OSHA standards.
The increased exhaust emissions can result in the
chain saw falling out of EPA and CARB requirements.
Alterations can create a fire hazard by changing the spark
arrestor system, allowing for the interaction of heated exhaust
gasses with highly combustible material.
Being caught with illegally modified equipment could
pose serious legal and financial risks.
Alterations to chain saws void manufacturer warranties
and decrease their longevity.
Trust the experts at STIHL to chain saw design. They
deliver a product that gives you the power you need while
meeting legal and safety requirements.
Click here to visit Your Local STIHL Dealer

Still tryin to figure out what this has to do with me.......

Buzz off Stihl!

Latest posts

Back