Does this look warm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
We've not had power since last Tuesday due to this ice storm and it's 50 in the house right now... stay tuned, I will post an update as this time tomorrow there will be a Jotul F500 Oslo there in place of the tape and the temperature will be much different.... hopefully.

I've been on a 5k generator all week for lights and such and was just now brave enough to try the computer. It's a Coleman Powermate and I know it's probably dirty voltage. Seems to be working ok though, I am running it through an APC, that should filter out any spikes or brownouts --Ian

DSC00035-2.jpg

We've not had power since last Tuesday due to this ice storm and it's 50 in the house right now... stay tuned, I will post an update as this time tomorrow there will be a Jotul F500 Oslo there in place of the tape and the temperature will be much different.... hopefully.

I've been on a 5k generator all week for lights and such and was just now brave enough to try the computer. It's a Coleman Powermate and I know it's probably dirty voltage. Seems to be working ok though, I am running it through an APC, that should filter out any spikes or brownouts --Ian

DSC00035-2.jpg

Colemans arent too bad. I have a 8750 powermate with the 13 horse honda am not afraid to run anything.

Hang in there! Its about time you got a stove anyway:cheers:

Colemans arent too bad. I have a 8750 powermate with the 13 horse honda am not afraid to run anything.

Hang in there! Its about time you got a stove anyway:cheers:

This power outage made us change our plans about the manufactured zero clearance fireplace. We want something that doesn't need power to heat. I think this Jotul will be just the ticket. We're borrowing this generator from a friend. I need to put a generator on the list of things to eventually acquire.

sorry to hear about your power outage haywire, when are they saying when it'll be restored?

They have power about a mile down the road, so hopefully soon. They've had power since last Thursday though, so I'm not betting on it. I heard they're out of transformers and waiting on some coming from other parts of the country. They had over 600,000 people out of power at one point and are saying this is the worst in history.

Ian

I went to Tennessee last Saturday,northern Kentucky looked pretty bad.

hang in there buddy... i here fema will reimburse for generators not sure if its true but now would be the time to get one.

HH, I used to build/install UPS's in the MW range before changing diapers for a living, you are just fine, consumer pruducts are designed to accept brown electricity.

The one concern is the drapes, don't use the minimun clearance, use the maximum clearance to plan your ' no electricity required' woodburning appliance.

Think along the lines of Polar Global Warming to place your woodburning appliance, you know, red/white hot while you sleep bissfully. That's what I'd do, but of course, you are free to do what works for you in the worst case scenario.

The one concern is the drapes,

Just put a tape measure to it, looks like the drapes are going to be about 33 inches from the side of the stove. I didn't think about that. We'll see what the installer says tomorrow.

That outlet behind the stove will come in handy.I hide a fan in the fireplace behind my Jotul.Sure helps move the warm air around.Keep warm.

I had thought about that myself. Have you seen these? Supposed to push about 150cfm when the stove is cranking and doesn't use any power. The fan option for the stove which costs 300 and that we didn't get pushes 120cfm.

I've seen those.My dealer has them and advised against buying one, unless as a novelty.I know that there are members here who use them.I wouldn't get a blower on a Jotul, but it's just a personal thing.My fan is a Vornado, and seems to work just as well on low as it does on high.
I hope you at least get a lot of future firewood from that storm.

Just put a tape measure to it, looks like the drapes are going to be about 33 inches from the side of the stove. I didn't think about that. We'll see what the installer says tomorrow.

I had thought about that myself. Have you seen these? Supposed to push about 150cfm when the stove is cranking and doesn't use any power. The fan option for the stove which costs 300 and that we didn't get pushes 120cfm.

If a natural material like cotton, silk or wool, you will be fine.

If a man made sythetic, well, take your chances.

Another opportunity to follow that old bugger Jack LaLane.

Haywire,

Not nosin' in on things mind you, but those drapes are at 33" when hanging normally. Figure on the "Jesus" factor of another 12" or so.
You know the guy listens, but why pester him when ya don't need to.

Like "OH JESUS!!! the cat got wound up and pushed the drapes over the stove!!" and "Jesus remember me? I would appreciate some help with the patience on account of the In laws Kid doing recreational flamability testing on the drapes, and I just caught the little bas... er... Darling".

That aspect aside, the more room next to the stove the better.
You're gonna have the ash bucket and tools next to the stove, and a bin of starter wood, and your daily stack of long burners for sleepin' time etc...
Ya don't wanna get gunk on the wifes drapes on accident.

As for the optional fan, get it. The little thermoelectric jobs do OK and are neat, but don't push the air like a dedicated fan. For a no electricity situation, just run an inverter to a charged 12v battery untill you get the gennie fired up.

Wooo hooooo!!!
New stove!!!
You realize this means you're gonna need a new more reliable saw right?:greenchainsaw:

Just my .02

Stay safe!!
Dingeryote

I heard they're out of transformers and waiting on some coming from other parts of the country.

I can believe it -- figure all the damage up in MA/NH and the rest of New England back in December. Not sure if your storm was the same one that hit Arkansas or is that another one? Plus that hurricane back in what August or September in Texas?

Gotta figure there's been a wee bit of demand for electrical equipment!

Well ive been in the boat with ya, no power since last tuesday. Just came on 10 min ago. Feels good. The county next to me had 1500 electric poles down, said that they dont usually change 1500 poles in a year. Power will be off there for 30 days indefinitely. Ice storms suck.

Hello there Haywire:

Sorry to hear about your current difficulties. Looks pretty bad from the news accounts we are getting up here. Hopefully you will be back to somewhat near normal before too much longer. Where I live in the mountains it is not unusual to lose power for several days at a time. To make matters worse, my house is located at the far end of the resupply route so we are always the last in line to get restored when it does go out. It only took me one winter of living here before I installed a wood stove that will heat the entire house and I also purchased a good generator that will run everything if needed. We always have emergency water stored in the cellar for drinking and I am fortunate in having a brook 50 yards from my house that runs year
around, so we can get water there for flushing toilets and washing if needed also. Once you have the wood heater, a water supply, backup food, and emergency power, you will be able to handle anything short of a Nuclear Strike and you'll feel a whole lot better when the stuff hits the fan.

Best regards,

Maplemeister: :cheers:

What have you got planned for floor and wall protection?

Shari

It will rest on one of those concrete/tile premanufactured stove pads. The stove has a rear heat shield that lets it be mounted as close as 6" to combustibles, so nothing on the rear wall for now, maybe cultured (fake) rock later.

Ian

tartara.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back