Does this look warm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AND WE GOT POWER BACK! :clap: :clap:

Showers and the washing of clothes shall commence forthwith !

I turned on the ceiling fan to move some of that warmth around.

Do you guys close the air off all the way when you go to bed or leave it open a bit?

Ian

Ian,

Looks good all lit up!!!

Before bed ours gets loaded untill there's no more room, opened up while brushing the teeth to get things heated up, and then closed down to about half way for an all night low burn, and a few coals left in the morning.
But then that's our stove and current greenish wood.With better seasoned wood, I normally take it down a lot further and almost to 1/4.

In time you'll get the feel of how yours runs, just don't choke it down to a smoulder to avoid the creosote issue.

It's gonna be a bit wierd going to sleep with a fire in the house, for a day or two anyway. New noises and all, mostly the wife checking to see if the house is engulfed, but new noises all the same.;)

Got enough wood to divorce the furnace yet?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've heard that there are some homes east of me that will be without electricity for three months. I really feel for them.

.[/QUOTE]

Clem,

Ya gotta be kidding me!!!
3 Months?

In the Mountains and rural or what?

Wow!!!

Who's got the lead on relief down there?
Sounds like some folks could use some help.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your neighbors.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Clem,

Ya gotta be kidding me!!!
3 Months?

In the Mountains and rural or what?

Wow!!!

Who's got the lead on relief down there?
Sounds like some folks could use some help.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your neighbors.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote[/QUOTE]

I mistakenly said to the east of me but it's to the west of me. It's not in the mountains either. I think that it's in the most rural areas where the population is sparse. I really hope that someone on the news was just exaggerating and they will have power much sooner.

I was without power for one week but I had the woodstove and an inverter to watch some tv and listen to the radio. My wife was pretty stressed out over it so I had to keep reminding her that it could have been a lot worse. A lot of the people without power didn't even have heat.

I really don't know what forms of relief is available. I do know that several places were advertising that they had shelter. Going to a shelter would be a have to case for me. I don't know if I could function there. There are several electric companies from other states that are helping with line repair.

Thank you for your thoughts and kind words.

There is no turning back for you now.

You have the saws, the wood, hauler and the stove.
It's a done deal, you are now officially hooked. Just so long as the little lady is OK with the saving money by bringing dirty wood into HER house. LOL next thing you know you will be sneaking saw parts in the dishwasher while she is at work.

J/K we all know THAT isn't going to happen.

Ian, Looks like a fine toasty install. I hope it rewards you well for your effort.

Depends. If theirs unburnt wood then closing the damper will blacken the interior and glass. If you have only hot coals then you can get away with closing the damper. I have a different stove so I'm sure they all act differently.

Enjoy. :cheers:

I found this out the hard way. Glass is black and doesn't wipe off easily. This was before bedtime last night. When I went to bed at 10, I opened the air control to about 1/4. At 2am when I got up, I added one 4" unsplit to a big thick pile of coals. At 430 I loaded it up again and opened the door a crack to get it going good and when it was, closed it and opened the air control fully. Hopefully that black will burn down to something I can wipe off when the stove gets up to temp.

As far as heating the house, I still have to learn how to run the stove. Someone above (too lazy to look) said they run theirs at over 600... the dealer/installer said he runs his at 400. I was running it last night for a short time at 425. This is with a flue thermometer on the stove top. I have double wall pipe off the stove so it won't do any good on there.

What's the consensus on how hot to burn without over firing?

Ian

As far as heating the house, I still have to learn how to run the stove. Someone above (too lazy to look) said they run theirs at over 600... the dealer/installer said he runs his at 400.

Ian

Hey, I run mine UP TO 600, then cut the air back to half, then cut it back to just an 1/8th or so open for the long burn. Your results may vary.

You ain't going to hurt that stove runnin' it up to 600.

I typically load mine up tight when I get home and let it burn at about 500-600 until bedtime, i then close the damper and open the main air up about 1/4 of the way and it usually stays at about 350-400 throughout the night. Repeat process in the morning while getting ready for work. Im using one of those magnetic thermometers which is stuck about a foot above the stove onto the pipe. Creosote seems to stay at a minimum but I typically brush the flue out every week or two just to be safe. If I burn any hotter it stays too hot in the house for my liking. Congrats on getting the power back on Ian and enjoy the new stove!!

AND WE GOT POWER BACK! :clap: :clap:

Showers and the washing of clothes shall commence forthwith !

I turned on the ceiling fan to move some of that warmth around.

Do you guys close the air off all the way when you go to bed or leave it open a bit?

Ian

You will find that every stove has it's own learning curve that you will discover as you use the unit. Each stove will act different from day to day depending on barometric pressure and winds, as well as the type of fuel you put in there and the degree of dryness of that fuel. It won't take you very long to find out what your stove likes the best. When I retire for the evening I just visually check mine and make sure I have just a wee bit of flame coming off the wood. That is where I get my longest burn and still have plenty of coals left in the morning when I get up. If you find that your wood is still smoldering in the morning with few if any coals, you didn't give it enough air when you went to bed. You'll be comfortable with your new stove in no time.

Maplemeister:

Last edited:
I found this out the hard way. Glass is black and doesn't wipe off easily. This was before bedtime last night. When I went to bed at 10, I opened the air control to about 1/4. At 2am when I got up, I added one 4" unsplit to a big thick pile of coals. At 430 I loaded it up again and opened the door a crack to get it going good and when it was, closed it and opened the air control fully. Hopefully that black will burn down to something I can wipe off when the stove gets up to temp.

As far as heating the house, I still have to learn how to run the stove. Someone above (too lazy to look) said they run theirs at over 600... the dealer/installer said he runs his at 400. I was running it last night for a short time at 425. This is with a flue thermometer on the stove top. I have double wall pipe off the stove so it won't do any good on there.

Ian

Let the glass cool, then take a wet paper towel and dip in the ash in the bottom of the stove and use that to clean the glass...Should remove the black little to no effort...

I run my insert at 350-425 degrees...If I load it after 11:00 and let it get a good burn going, half an hour or better, then shut it down I usually have enough coals in the morning to rekindle w/o an issue...

Thanks for he hints... the glass burned clean with this mornings loading and subsequent burn. I loaded it when I left the house and turned it up to about 2/3. My wife reloaded it and turned it down to half when she left for work about 3 hours later. I had a few coals left when I got home 8.5 hours later but not enough to rekindle. Had to use a match and a little piece of my home made starter brick.

I need more small splits to get the fire going before adding the larger stuff. It's slow to get going as is.

I'm a little challenged for good wood at the moment. I sold most of the good seasoned stuff I had back in November, not expecting to get a stove till late spring. I got a pickup of seasoned from a cutting buddy of mine and am mixing in some that was cut and split in November... not ideal. I'm going to buy a flue brush and hearth tools this weekend. A poker would be handy and with the wood I'm burning, keeping on top of the flue brushing is probably a good thing.

Ian

Last edited:
A modern wood stove can't be over-fired with just wood. Assuming wood is defined a logs, etc., not paper, cardboard, kerosene, etc.

Their all engineered systems which must meet emission and safety standards. If your is like mine, the damper is in the stove, not the flue. The maximum air allowed into the firebox is a know quantity. So you can't over fire.

I live in London K.Y. which is S.Eastern and boy did we git lucky! We hadda nice, little pretty icing that lasted about 6 hrs before it was warmed and gone.I hadda guy call me about picking up some wood to take west,and how much was it.I asked him what he was gonna do with it and he said he was there and people were freezins there azzes off and he was just gonna give it away.....well i told him to come on over,and he had a 4 horse covered trailer......so we loaded it up till his truck moaned,{bout 3 cords}...then he goes to pay me and i couldnt take the money.This guy was blown away....felt like the right thing anyway.He sold me the trailer after he got rid of the load,cause i am gettin some big doggies around March and was looking for a horse trailer anyway.GOD works in mysterious ways:bowdown:

Good on ya Jerry!! Will rep when able. :cheers:

Kyle

Ian

I honestly do not think you will have creosote issues. If you light a fresh fire daily.That burst of flames up the chimney daily should keep the flue pretty clean. Once you get a good bed of coals in there. You should be able to get one started without a match. Just some newspapers or maybe just finely split wood. I only use 1 match a year.

Ok, I'm gonna leave you guys alone now, but... I loaded it up when I got home, ran it up to 500F and then moved the control back to half. We're a cozy 71 in the house right now. The t-stat on the furnace is set to the normal 63.
Sweet !.... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ian

Edit... 75 now

Last edited:
Ok, I'm gonna leave you guys alone now, but... I loaded it up when I got home, ran it up to 500F and then moved the control back to half. We're a cozy 71 in the house right now. The t-stat on the furnace is set to the normal 63.
Sweet !.... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ian

It's a great stove. I read a couple posts back somebody said you can't overfire an epa stove.

That's TOTALLY UNTRUE! I guarantee you that if you load your OSLO with good dry wood, open the air on that bad boy, and walk away from it you'll OVERFIRE IT!

I repeat, I run my OSLO up to 600 degrees DAILY, sometimes as high as 650 degrees, and then throttle 'er back from there.

I don't HAVE to run it up that high, I can set the air back to half or less when the stovetop is at 450 to 500. I just like to burn the thing HOT once a day.

If you see your stove top temp go up to 600+ don't panic :)

The OSLO is a heating BEAST:greenchainsaw:

It's a great stove. I read a couple posts back somebody said you can't overfire an epa stove.

That's TOTALLY UNTRUE! I guarantee you that if you load your OSLO with good dry wood, open the air on that bad boy, and walk away from it you'll OVERFIRE IT!

I repeat, I run my OSLO up to 600 degrees DAILY, sometimes as high as 650 degrees, and then throttle 'er back from there.

I don't HAVE to run it up that high, I can set the air back to half or less when the stovetop is at 450 to 500. I just like to burn the thing HOT once a day.

If you see your stove top temp go up to 600+ don't panic :)

The OSLO is a heating BEAST:greenchainsaw:

:agree2: I've seen it many times with very dry oak.Had to move the lever all the way to close to bring it back to the 'safe zone'.This was with my Oslo.

A modern wood stove can't be over-fired with just wood. Assuming wood is defined a logs, etc., not paper, cardboard, kerosene, etc.

Their all engineered systems which must meet emission and safety standards. If your is like mine, the damper is in the stove, not the flue. The maximum air allowed into the firebox is a know quantity. So you can't over fire.

Not true. Stuffed full of pine or pallet wood you can overfire a stove.

Latest posts

Back