Does This Sound Right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is deffinently the way they should do it, they charge 1.00 a minute/60.00 an hour and so they said they would charge me what ever time it took by that, so thats what worried me. the tech could turn this into some fiasco and take 45 min to look at things when all i wanted done is the quick carb adjust, the filter didnt even need to be cleaned because i got it from 2000 and ran it 10 minutes, saw it wasent quite right so i used the 180 to finish because if the low was off, the high might be too (im really catious about my saws, hell i have no excuse when i have 4 others to use) so it was litterally brand new.

I could turn an carb rebuild into a 2 hour ordeal if I wanted to **** around with a b*tchy customer...

Well it will need a soak, and the kit, and Ill go ahead and do a compression test...ooohh little low there, lets do a leakdown test...hmm, looks okay...Ill put that carb back together now and see if it will tune in..

you gotta have faith in your technician...Trust that they are doing things in your, and the saws best interests. If the tech spots a potential problem doing a minor repair, Id really like him to follow his gut and check it out, so it doesnt cost me a saw down the road.

Use a tiny screw, thread it into the cap's center opening, line up the cap's tab to the slot in the carb body and pull it out. Try not to damage it in the process, when it's out, cut off the big tab and reinstall. Now you can adjust the carb without pulling the caps again and your carb screws stay in place.

Keep in mind that when you are turning that screw, you are also turning the needle itself from where it was previously set...so you cant go by how it ran prior to removing the caps....

If you strip the plastic, ...have fun, it's a real PITA to remove the limiters then...:dizzy:

Also, the tech has no way of knowing that a simple adjustment is all your saw needed to make it right...you say "it ran perfect except it stumbled on acceleration". Well most likely it needed to be richened up on the bottom end, may only have one screw (L) and an (LA) for base idle. Regardless it was AT the richest possible setting against the limiter cap...so he had to pull it to confirm that that is all it needed.

As far as the Shop owner saying he'll call you before he fixes it...the Tech most likely came in, looked it over, found the limiter was maxxed out. He could have called you right there and said "Well I'll have to remove the limiter, and carb, to tune it...gonna be 20 dollars". The OP would have balked at that..and taken it to the free shop...and balked at any type of service fee..regardless of what he says.

The tech did what probably most techs this day and age would have done. He couldnt give an accurate read on if the carb adjustment would have fixed it or not...he removed the limiter and fixed it, and made a bill out. Most customers would have paid the bill and used their now perfectly running saw...but this one was fishing for a freebie.

My guess is the shop in question has a sign posted "service fee 20.00" or sometihng like that...

the saw has all 3 screws the high, low, and idle screw. it ran fine for 2000 and it ran good for me, but it stumbled a little bit. it was written on the work order that all i wanted done is a carb tuning. i dont know if you havent read the posts but i said, if they called me ahead of time saying 20.00 i would have been happy to pay it, but no they dont call me before they work on it or when its done. now two weeks later, my situation has changed and my understanding was that therewould be no problem if i took it from them because they hadent worked on it, but instead they charge me 20.00 and with them screwing up i wasent going to pay. why would i pay for his screw up when i told him i would take it and come back and he said to leave it because the tech will call first.

the saw has all 3 screws the high, low, and idle screw. it ran fine for 2000 and it ran good for me, but it stumbled a little bit. it was written on the work order that all i wanted done is a carb tuning. i dont know if you havent read the posts but i said, if they called me ahead of time saying 20.00 i would have been happy to pay it, but no they dont call me before they work on it or when its done. now two weeks later, my situation has changed and my understanding was that therewould be no problem if i took it from them because they hadent worked on it, but instead they charge me 20.00 and with them screwing up i wasent going to pay. why would i pay for his screw up when i told him i would take it and come back and he said to leave it because the tech will call first.

You wanna know something? Id have righted that situation immediatly...Id have taken the saw to the shop, and put the limiters right back where they were when it came in.

Ive seen it from both sides of the counter man...:censored:

I still dont get why you wanted them to call you before fixing it, if apparently it was clear on the tag "tune carb only" and at the time money wasnt a problem..and he had apparenly told you that some stuff had to come off to tune the carb in properly.

Either you wanted it fixed, or you dont want it fixed.

Where I work, we know what "call before fixing" or "call with est before fixing" means for use technicians...."find out whats wrong, I dont want to put any money in it, if you can fix it for 10 dollars, fix it"

People who have a peice of equipment that they want fixed, and fixed right, and have the means to have it fixed right, just say "FIX IT". The ones that want it fixed right, and fixed now, say "Fix it, cost is no object":monkey:

You wanna know something? Id have righted that situation immediatly...Id have taken the saw to the shop, and put the limiters right back where they were when it came in.

Ive seen it from both sides of the counter man...:censored:

I still dont get why you wanted them to call you before fixing it, if apparently it was clear on the tag "tune carb only" and at the time money wasnt a problem..and he had apparenly told you that some stuff had to come off to tune the carb in properly.

Either you wanted it fixed, or you dont want it fixed.

Where I work, we know what "call before fixing" or "call with est before fixing" means for use technicians...."find out whats wrong, I dont want to put any money in it, if you can fix it for 10 dollars, fix it"

People who have a peice of equipment that they want fixed, and fixed right, and have the means to have it fixed right, just say "FIX IT". The ones that want it fixed right, and fixed now, say "Fix it, cost is no object":monkey:

i wantedhim to call me because the guy behind the counter seemed to find it impossible that i only wanted the carb tuned, he first thought i wanted a tune up. no i want the carb tuned, so i explain what that is and then he says that he could have the tech call first, and i waslike good idea because then i can talk to someone with more understanding of what i wanted and see if i was right that it was a quick fix, but that call never came so i thought i could go take it with no problems but they had fixed it leaving both of us in a place between a rock and a hard space.

red, you're simply wrong on this one. When a shop promises a customer they will do something, and then they don't do what they promised but instead do something else, they are doing their customer a disservice. Case closed.

i wantedhim to call me because the guy behind the counter seemed to find it impossible that i only wanted the carb tuned, he first thought i wanted a tune up. no i want the carb tuned, so i explain what that is and then he says that he could have the tech call first, and i waslike good idea because then i can talk to someone with more understanding of what i wanted and see if i was right that it was a quick fix, but that call never came so i thought i could go take it with no problems but they had fixed it leaving both of us in a place between a rock and a hard space.

Now, this sounds to me like you were telling him to call you if it needed more than tuning, I do get quite a few of those requests.

If this is how the owner/front desk clerk took it, then he did just that. He checked it out, it needed a tune, nothing more..so he tuned it, and voila.

If the tech came in and saw the saw, tag said "carb adjust only, call" and he asked the front guy what it was about, and he tells him "He says it needs an adjustment only, check it out" and he does that, and all it needed was the tuning...I dont see the problem.

Sounds like a communications breakdown, but the fact is you dropped off the saw to be tuned, and it got tuned...you obviously expected a bill. Now you dont want to pay, want to make a big scene because of a communications breakdown....

red, you're simply wrong on this one. When a shop promises a customer they will do something, and then they don't do what they promised but instead do something else, they are doing their customer a disservice. Case closed.

So if I get in a wreck, and hire an attorney to defend me..and my attorney ends up proving my guilt...can I sue him?

If I take my saw to a dealer to be tuned, and act like I know it all, and they tune it and it runs great, can I make a big enough fit so I dont have to pay?

Hahah Hell No.

But this situation is different they shouldn't have worked on his saw without owners consent. but this whole thread is going no where.

Yup. It's called malpractice.

interesting...

So if someone is posting, and what they are posting is false, or leads someone to do something or think something under flase pretenses...is that Mal-posting?

Ive been sick for 3 days with strep throat, and a viral ear infection, tonsolitis, and im on all sorts of medications and Im totally trippin balls right now....:buttkick:

Last edited:
Hahah Hell No.

But this situation is different they shouldn't have worked on his saw without owners consent. but this whole thread is going no where.

If he left it with the shop, they had his consent, and I think most any shop will tell you that. You dont want someone to work on something, dont leave it with them.

Nothing kept him from taking the saw home and bringing it back at a later date, it was consensual, and If that saw says otherwise, she is lieing.

Now, this sounds to me like you were telling him to call you if it needed more than tuning, I do get quite a few of those requests.

If this is how the owner/front desk clerk took it, then he did just that. He checked it out, it needed a tune, nothing more..so he tuned it, and voila.

If the tech came in and saw the saw, tag said "carb adjust only, call" and he asked the front guy what it was about, and he tells him "He says it needs an adjustment only, check it out" and he does that, and all it needed was the tuning...I dont see the problem.

Sounds like a communications breakdown, but the fact is you dropped off the saw to be tuned, and it got tuned...you obviously expected a bill. Now you dont want to pay, want to make a big scene because of a communications breakdown....

thats part of it but i wanted to talk to the tech so that i knew the front desk guy told him the right thing. I was only willing to spend 10-20 on this and thats about all i had. yes there was a communication breakdown but it was on the dealers behalf, not mine, they had my number, the tech had access to a phone, he had to of read where it said to call me because he knew only to adjust carb. also think about this what if: say the tech didnt call me (which you are saying isnt a big deal), he tears into my saw and decides it needs a whole new carb. so he spends more time and lots more money in parts. they call me your saw is done. what? how much? 100.00(i have no idea what it would actually cost) there would be no way in hell i would pay for that, and then there is the fact that if they had just let me take my saw if it was gonna be a hassle to call me, or if they had called me ahead of time, there would be no problem.

thats part of it but i wanted to talk to the tech so that i knew the front desk guy told him the right thing. I was only willing to spend 10-20 on this and thats about all i had. yes there was a communication breakdown but it was on the dealers behalf, not mine, they had my number, the tech had access to a phone, he had to of read where it said to call me because he knew only to adjust carb. also think about this what if: say the tech didnt call me (which you are saying isnt a big deal), he tears into my saw and decides it needs a whole new carb. so he spends more time and lots more money in parts. they call me your saw is done. what? how much? 100.00(i have no idea what it would actually cost) there would be no way in hell i would pay for that, and then there is the fact that if they had just let me take my saw if it was gonna be a hassle to call me, or if they had called me ahead of time, there would be no problem.

Before unsactioned, or unspecified work is done, and it is obvious the customer doesnt want to put any money in the equipment, we call.

If the customer says "fix it"...we do whatever is required up to about 1/2 the price of a new whatever it may be with a few exceptions.

I feel the shop was thinking you wanted the carb tuned, and wanted to be called if any other work was required.

You would have a real case if you specified tune carb only, and he rebuilt the carb....

interesting...

So if someone is posting, and what they are posting is false, or leads someone to do something or think something under flase pretenses...is that Mal-posting?

Ive been sick for 3 days with strep throat, and a viral ear infection, tonsolitis, and im on all sorts of medications and Im totally trippin balls right now....:buttkick:

two things, the answer to your first question is yes, that is why you see the disclaimers on videos to hack ipods and anything of that sorts, they say they assume no liability ifyou #### your #### up. i think that isnt a problem here because we are working with saws and most people devoted enough to saws to post on line have a good head on there shoulders and know messing with anything on a saw is dangerous and could cause problems.

and i knew there was a reason for all your non sense, most of your posts make sense and are very informational but meds will do crazy #### to ya

Back