Does Your Saw have a wide Powerband ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm not sure mine does because I really don't know what the power band is all about. Is it powerband or power band? How do you determine if a saw has a wide powerband? Can you hear in the cut when the saw is in or out of the powerband. Does size really matter? Comments please.
Kurf

power-band_silicon1.jpg

Mine doesn't fit on any of my saws :sad: .

:D

I have a 2171 and a 372xpw, I wander what people think of the powerband on these 2 saws?.....Im not experienced enough to know which saws would have a wide powerband and which would be considered not to have a wide powerband.....

Powerband is loosely defined as the speeds over which the engine operates efficiently.

A saw with a wide or broad powerband is said to work well at both high and low engine/chain speeds. So you'd get good power if you weren't loading the saw too heavily and were letting it really fly and you'd also get good power if you were dogging the saw hard and the rpms were low.

Without having run a bunch of saws, it's kind of hard to determine your saws powerband. Most comparisons here of wide versus narrow powerbands are comparative; the strato saws have a "wide" powerband relative to the non strato saws of the same region.

Its pretty hard to find published power ratings. The german agricultural rating agency's PDF's sometimes have some information from their testing.

Hop on a ported water cooled 2 stroke, hit the gas, once you come to after falling off you will know exactly what a power band is LOLOL.

I think most of todays saws are pretty forgiving in terms of where they deliver power. i know my 660 that I ported doesn't like the low rpms, but it will do work up top. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I always referred to a two cycle engine that had an expansion chamber as an engine with a distinctive power band. Only at certain rpms does the expansion chamber work efficiently. A two cycle engine with out the chamber relies mostly or entirely on rpms to make its power.

Last edited:
I didn't think saws had powerbands like dirtbikes. Most saws have a decent powerband that is somewhat forgiving. The bigger saws seem to have a wider powerband than the smaller saws. A 576 has a real wide powerband where a 70cc 372s is a little narrower. A 372xpw is wider than a 70cc version and about the same as the 576.

Given that they're designed to run wfo all the time, not much bandwidth is designed in I wouldn't think. Cutting is done these days with chain speed. The big chains, low rpm, gear reduction grunter days are long over (but fun to relive for a cut or 3!). I'll agree with mdavlee, bigger cube saws are more forgiving. The 372 will rip if you let it, but if you try to muscle it, it will load up and quit. The 288 will keep lugging a little better. No experience on the newer 90+ saws, but the vintage big-bangers have power like a muscle car: everywhere and plenty of it.

The 660 and 394 have a wider powerband than a 390xp. The old pioneers like the p62 will lug right on down if you can bog it to begin with.

Yup, the old saws were something else. I've pulled my Super 797 hard enough to stall the chain, same for the gear drive 1-82. Only saw I've personally run that I couldn't stop is my Super Wiz 80. In fairness, it has somewhere around a 3:1 transmission while the 1-82 is 2:1, and 1/2 chisel chain vs. the 9/16 chipper on the Mac, but that said it doesn't have a "wide" powerband because, with the governor working, everything happens between around 7000 and 5000 IF you can load it down that far.

Not sure I'd want to run a saw with a power band like my old suzuki dirt bike. Maybe with a full outfit of chainsaw chap apparel or the Ironman suit.

The powerband is the usable power of the engine. It occurs between peak torque and peak horsepower. Essentially, you can be cutting at a fast speed and then when you lean on the saw the revs will drop, but since the torque increases the saw keeps cutting. Once you pull the revs below peak torque, the revs fall off rapidly.

Here is a page from a moped site. About halfway down the page are a couple of diagrams showing the effects of too much base compression (crankcase compression). The first curve illustrates the broad powerband and the second illustrates a narrow powerband.

http://twowheelers.tripod.com/TTuning.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back