Dolmar 5100 wont run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darmour88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had bought a new Dolmar 5100s 6 months ago and it ran fine. One day letting one of my boys cut it simply lost power and quit running. I have been running a 50:1 ratio on the gas using the dolmar synthetic oil. I tried to take it back to the place of purchase and they have gone out of business! Next closest place is about 70-80 miles from me! What should i do and are there any suggestions? Clean air filter, clean fuel pickup, new fresh fuel, has spark and motor isnt locked up. Thanks alot!

P.S Im a newbie to this forum so HOWDY!

Pull the intake and pull the muffler. Check for scoring.

Sounds like it was running too lean or maybe someone did not use pre-mix in her by mistake.

I'd start by pulling the spark plug and looking at the cylinder wall with a flashlight. If questionable, then proceed to pulling the muffler. I'd guess that you're the latest victim of a lean seizure. But that' jumping to conclusions at this point.

it was set to stock 14,500 i think. The dealer had set it up and everything when i bought it. But i cant take it back to the dealer now that he has closed up shop on me. It was Bastrop Outdoor Power in Bastrop, TX. I will go pull the muffler and intake to see if it is scored.

it was set to stock 14,500 i think. The dealer had set it up and everything when i bought it. But i cant take it back to the dealer now that he has closed up shop on me. It was Bastrop Outdoor Power in Bastrop, TX. I will go pull the muffler and intake to see if it is scored.

If it is, and it sounds like it is, put the muffler completely back on and make that trip. That saw is under warranty. Don't be tearing it all apart for if you do the dealer is gonna say no no..

I had bought a new Dolmar 5100s 6 months ago and it ran fine. One day letting one of my boys cut it simply lost power and quit running. I have been running a 50:1 ratio on the gas using the dolmar synthetic oil. I tried to take it back to the place of purchase and they have gone out of business! Next closest place is about 70-80 miles from me! What should i do and are there any suggestions? Clean air filter, clean fuel pickup, new fresh fuel, has spark and motor isnt locked up. Thanks alot!

P.S Im a newbie to this forum so HOWDY!

Afraid to ask but what did the boys fill in the tank?

If your saw is toast you're going to have to make the trip, maybe you can get in touch with dolmar tech service and or the next closest dealer and try to arrive at a time when he can do it while you wait. Unlikely,but this way you'd only have to drive 160 miles instead of 320 miles.

If it is, and it sounds like it is, put the muffler completely back on and make that trip. That saw is under warranty. Don't be tearing it all apart for if you do the dealer is gonna say no no..

Which good dealer would set it at 14,500 initially? - if he did, it sure is a warranty issue!

:givebeer:

Ok so i pulled the muffler off..left the intake intact and there is a minimal amount of scoring. Nothing too serious and they put 89 octane 50:1 mix in the tank. That is what the dealer suggested me to run in this saw. I called the dealer 82 miles from my home and he said he can not service my saw bought from the dealer here in bastrop since he is out of business and i dont have my original receipt..thanks to my boys! We never ran the saw at WOT more than a few minutes before taking a break on big mesquites. I own 4 stihl ms260 pro's and have never had a problem with them like with this dolmar.

Ok so i pulled the muffler off..left the intake intact and there is a minimal amount of scoring. Nothing too serious and they put 89 octane 50:1 mix in the tank. That is what the dealer suggested me to run in this saw. I called the dealer 82 miles from my home and he said he can not service my saw bought from the dealer here in bastrop since he is out of business and i dont have my original receipt..thanks to my boys! We never ran the saw at WOT more than a few minutes before taking a break on big mesquites. I own 4 stihl ms260 pro's and have never had a problem with them like with this dolmar.

That saw should be registered, reciept not needed. Sounds like you need to give ole Dolmar the company a call and ask why can't that dealer honor the warranty on that saw. I know I've worked on many many saws bought elsewhere and no reciept and got the warranty honored with no problems at all. Give them cats a call, surely can't hurt..

Which good dealer would set it at 14,500 initially? - if he did, it sure is a warranty issue!

:givebeer:

Welp if its only 6 months old it has some warranty left. What all is wrong with it or why it happened needs to be figured out by a warranty dealer so he's gonna have to let them boys have a look at it. I smell a headache with this saw but who knows, Dolmar may step in and get him fixed up, never know..

If it is a warranty issue, it shouldn't matter where you bought it, as long as the dealer you bought it from was an official Dolmar dealer when you bought it!

Sounds like you should have stuck with Stihl.;) Seems like the other dealer is giving you the runaround since you didn't buy the saw from him. My next call would be to Dolmar direct.

If it is a warranty issue, it shouldn't matter where you bought it, as long as the dealer you bought it from was an official Dolmar dealer when you bought it!

Good point. Hell I love working on saws bought elsewhere, gives me a chance to steal their customers,haha

Thanks alot..i might just call dolmar in the morning. Typical dealers here in tx..wont service anything but their saws...but the stihl dealer here will work on ANY SAW..says alot about dolmar service centers! lol

Thanks alot..i might just call dolmar in the morning. Typical dealers here in tx..wont service anything but their saws...but the stihl dealer here will work on ANY SAW..says alot about dolmar service centers! lol

Well don't shoot em just yet, they may take care ya, gotta give em a chance. That other dealer now, yes he's being a peckerhead about it, torch his place and watch her burn I say.....

I got my 5100 shipped to me and the dealer let me set it to 13,700-13,800WOT RPM's to break it in.This weekend after about 7 tanks run through it I re set it to 14,200-14,300 WOT.It is now blowing 200psi. cold:jawdrop:You have to pay attention to maintainance on these saws.

Just call up dolmar and tell them what's going on and have them make it right. No need to get angry with them, just explain to them the situation. My guess is that dealer is going to get a phone call.

call magneto power Dallas, (800) 849-0878 tell them what happened.

the'll probably have you ship to the nearest dealer.

Back